Author Topic: Adirondack coyote  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Yotehntr

Adirondack coyote
« on: January 10, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »
Made a trip upstate to my cabin in the lower Adirondacks today. On the way up I stopped at some state land and ended up bagging this 45 lb coyote. I called four different spots and had action on the second and third area.

The second spot I left a bit earlier than I should have, since after packing up and walking a hundred and fifty yards, I came face to face with a light colored, well furred coyote at forty yards. We stared at each other for a moment, then predictably, he took off as I was maneuvering for the shot. I back tracked his trail for awhile and found that he must’ve been listening to me for awhile, as he was bedded up within a short distance of where I was calling from.

The third spot was closer to the second area than I’d normally pick, but I started to see a good amount of sign and the wind was cooperating. After taking a little while to setup, I began the call and almost instantly, in the distance I caught a glimpse of two coyotes moving in fast. Thinking I might get a double out of the deal, I decided I was going to let the lead coyote come as close to the call as possible, hoping this would allow me a chance at the rear one as Well. He came close alright and before I knew it, he was up on the call and not slowing at all. I tried getting him to stop for a shot by barking,  as I was trying to locate him in the scope, but he never stood still, and I ended up missing him at thirty yards.  Then, they both disappeared without a shot.. later I found out that I left the magnification on my scope too high for that area, making it difficult to get on a moving target.

With the lost opportunity, I was pretty burnt, but also feeling good, because it was looking like I had discovered a legit coyote hide out. After collecting myself,  I started the call up, and again from the same area another coyote was making his way to me! This time I toned the caller down a notch, so as to not over excite the quarry, and instead of a full blown sprint, this coyote Hunted his way to the  call. At forty five yards he stood still for a nice broadside shot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Adirondack coyote
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »
Nice coyote, fur looks to be in good shape ...
I enjoyed reading your hunting report..congrats.
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 09:19:59 PM »
Well done !
Oh Yeah !

Offline GooseCommander

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 09:37:45 PM »
Nice!
My brother in law and group got 3 today. They run hounds up north - fun hunt. Poor season so far due to snow conditions, but they have managed 20 so far.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."  --Fred Bear

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 05:20:38 AM »
Great stuff nice yote

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 05:28:00 AM »
Wow some nice action . That a nice looking yote. Do they seem to respond to the calls better up there?  Few years ago i called one in up there turkey hunting dam thing came 15 yards of me .
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 07:18:47 AM »
Great story and yote, Congrats!!

Offline logic

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:03 AM »
Nice job Matt. 

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:19 AM »
Cool story, nice looking yote!

Offline Yotehntr

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
Ron, that was my first time hunting coyotes up that way, but it’s something I’ve been wanting to try. I don’t think they’ve been messed with too much, so they’re probably a little easier to fool. If it stays this warm down here, I might go back up. I’ll post a pic if something happens.

Offline BuckSniper22

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »
Nice job!  That’s a nice looking yote

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 10:40:13 PM »
Good Bull Yote (beers). Got to love it when a plan comes together!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal