Author Topic: Please Help!!!!  (Read 1263 times)

Offline marchello19

• “ Dying ain’t much of a living son…”
Please Help!!!!
« on: November 09, 2019, 07:07:11 PM »
Hey guys it happened to me tonight with the crossbow. I had a nice 8 pointer come right in to my grunt call just before sunset. I got a little nervous and didn’t stop the buck before it was right on top of me! I’d say 12 yds, so I heard contact and he jumped and ran. I found the arrow the broad head was buried in the dirt. The shaft didn’t have any blood  on the shaft but there was some blood, and fat on fletchings. Also some white and brown hair and very small amount of stomach content. This being my first experience with a crossbow is it normal not to have much blood? Do you guys think it was a fatal shot?

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Please Help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 07:13:24 PM »
Better let him lay overnight.  Sounds like a gut shot, if you found stomach contents, you gotta give him time to expire. If you push him it will be hard to find.
Crossbow should be no different than a regular bow, it's still a broad head, I think the reason you are not getting much blood is because the stomach and guts plug it up. Let him lay overnight,  you will probably find him close if you don't push him.

Offline marchello19

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
Thank you DXT I really appreciate the advice. I backed out right away. I was just surprised over the lack of blood on the shaft itself. I feel like I’ve been shut it the gut.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:23:14 PM »
I had my first deer shot with a crossbow also in close about 15y I had very little blood on arrow and didn't start bleeding for about 20y from shot. I think the xbow is so fast in close mot a ton of blood is on arrow at times.

If some stomach contents on arrow I'd say look in morning and hopefully it's not far .

Offline marchello19

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 07:30:32 PM »
That makes me feel a little better thank you. I was thinking that the speed could have something to do with it.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 07:38:24 PM »
I had my first deer shot with a crossbow also in close about 15y I had very little blood on arrow and didn't start bleeding for about 20y from shot. I think the xbow is so fast in close mot a ton of blood is on arrow at times.

If some stomach contents on arrow I'd say look in morning and hopefully it's not far .
Good point Pat. I only shot one with a crossbow,  and now that I think about it I didn't get much blood on my arrow or blood trail, it was a good hit and  heard her crash, but your right I didn't get much blood. Good point Pat!
In Marchello case he found stomach contents,  so I would still let it lay overnight and take up track when its plenty light enough,  ein case him needs to be finished,  but I'm willing to bet that you will find him dead tomorrow AM. Good luck,  be patient,  you will get him.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 07:39:45 PM »
Good luck in the morning hope it all works out for ya..
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 07:47:24 PM »
Join the club marchello I did same thing fri am and tracked 600yds and bumped him, going to try tracking him down tmrw. Terrible feeling but be patient and track slow, give him time
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline marchello19

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »
Thanks guys yea I sure hope so. I’ve been following your thread Ref hope you get him man!

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 08:17:59 PM »

Good point Pat. I only shot one with a crossbow,  and now that I think about it I didn't get much blood on my arrow or blood trail, it was a good hit and  heard her crash, but your right I didn't get much blood. Good point Pat!
In Marchello case he found stomach contents,  so I would still let it lay overnight and take up track when its plenty light enough,  ein case him needs to be finished,  but I'm willing to bet that you will find him dead tomorrow AM. Good luck,  be patient,  you will get him.

Yes, with stomach hit definitely go in morning.  Good luck Marcello!

Offline marchello19

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 08:30:58 AM »
Hey guys update went with my buddy first thing this morning found blood with a clump of white belly hair and hair about 10 yds after shot but lost the blood trail after 50 yds. Went into a thick swamp and cattail area. I kicked up a deer two times, I really think it was him but I backed out as it only gets thicker and figured I try back this afternoon. Frustrated

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
Stay with it man! I’ll be 50+ hours after shot and I’m heading back around 1.
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline marchello19

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »
Thanks brother appreciate it...Good luck. Yea he headed into some really think crap, keep thinking about if I could take that shot over lol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal