Hunting- In The New York Area > New York Small Game Hunting

Adirondack coyote

(1/3) > >>

Yotehntr:
Made a trip upstate to my cabin in the lower Adirondacks today. On the way up I stopped at some state land and ended up bagging this 45 lb coyote. I called four different spots and had action on the second and third area.

The second spot I left a bit earlier than I should have, since after packing up and walking a hundred and fifty yards, I came face to face with a light colored, well furred coyote at forty yards. We stared at each other for a moment, then predictably, he took off as I was maneuvering for the shot. I back tracked his trail for awhile and found that he must’ve been listening to me for awhile, as he was bedded up within a short distance of where I was calling from.

The third spot was closer to the second area than I’d normally pick, but I started to see a good amount of sign and the wind was cooperating. After taking a little while to setup, I began the call and almost instantly, in the distance I caught a glimpse of two coyotes moving in fast. Thinking I might get a double out of the deal, I decided I was going to let the lead coyote come as close to the call as possible, hoping this would allow me a chance at the rear one as Well. He came close alright and before I knew it, he was up on the call and not slowing at all. I tried getting him to stop for a shot by barking,  as I was trying to locate him in the scope, but he never stood still, and I ended up missing him at thirty yards.  Then, they both disappeared without a shot.. later I found out that I left the magnification on my scope too high for that area, making it difficult to get on a moving target.

With the lost opportunity, I was pretty burnt, but also feeling good, because it was looking like I had discovered a legit coyote hide out. After collecting myself,  I started the call up, and again from the same area another coyote was making his way to me! This time I toned the caller down a notch, so as to not over excite the quarry, and instead of a full blown sprint, this coyote Hunted his way to the  call. At forty five yards he stood still for a nice broadside shot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

MUSKRAT:
Nice coyote, fur looks to be in good shape ...
I enjoyed reading your hunting report..congrats.

WEM144:
Well done !

GooseCommander:
Nice!
My brother in law and group got 3 today. They run hounds up north - fun hunt. Poor season so far due to snow conditions, but they have managed 20 so far.

greensider:
Great stuff nice yote

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version