Author Topic: Grenades for fishing  (Read 4100 times)

Offline GooseCommander

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Grenades for fishing
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2019, 02:25:19 PM »
i think the early deer and turkey season had a big impact on my daughter getting into hunting.. i think her getting a cross bow next year will get her out in the woods more also.. Anyone of our members here have a young kid that wants to turkey hunt in the spring or do a drift boat trip just let me know..
+1 I agree Ron, I think goose miss understood that I think that WE DO NEED the special early seasons, as well as the mentors will to get kids out there. Theres no doubt in my mind that the youth hunts th as t I've been involved in have made a huge difference in getting the kids intrested.

Now as far as a youth Turkey hunt, yes please plan on bringing my 12 year old daughter this coming spring, shes really excited for it. And also, hopefully they will have a youth pheasant hunt, we want you and Jack for that! Thanks!

@DXT
I did indeed misread your statement - my bad. I'm ok with or without having the youth seasons. I haven't been able to participate yet in one with my son as he has been busy with hockey. To me, its mentors like you and walkabout making the time and hunt about the youth that make them successful and not as much the dates. Much to learn from you guys - thanks for continuing the conversation.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."  --Fred Bear

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2019, 03:02:14 PM »
DXT Jack and i have done the youth pheasant hunt just about every year since ive had him.. Plan on a trip with u and your daughter on my boat this summer..
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »
DXT Jack and i have done the youth pheasant hunt just about every year since ive had him.. Plan on a trip with u and your daughter on my boat this summer..
Sounds like a plan,  we gotta get you for the youth Turkey hunt also.....you've done really good with getting kids a bird, and adults also. Lol

Offline KillerCrow

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »
Youth turkey hunt is a wonderful thing, nothing better than the excitement in a young hunters eyes after a first encounter with a gobbler

Offline RD&SONS

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
Remember one thing it all starts at home what you do as parents, my boys played basketball,baseball,soccer,football in are town leagues also played on traveling teams  that traveled all over the state and out of state . When they got older they also played on school teams and still played travel I also managed these teams  it was The best time of my life but when we were not playing sports we were out hunting or fishing . My boys are all grown up they don’t play sports anymore  but they still hunt and fish when they are not working .  I’m a true believer it all starts at home.🦌🦃🐟

Offline Take Em

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
 +1
Amen Ricky. Both of my kids are involved in everything. There’s not a night or weekend that goes by that my wife and I are not running all over the map for our kids. And we wouldn’t change it for a thing. They are also both straight A students and they still find time to go fishing with me, quad riding, camping, and sitting with me in the ground blind. My daughter who is 12 shows no interest in hunting but will go fishing. My son on the other hand who is 9 can’t wait to go hunting. And we will find the time to fit it in to our busy schedules with all the travel sports, etc. Times are just different these days. I wish they had all these travel sports back in the 80’s when I grew up. It wasn’t that much fun playing BB guns and pond hockey with some of the losers where I grew up. And my parents did whatever they could to keep me busy. It’s just a different world now and it’s unfortunate that not many kids want to hunt anymore. I graduated from Kingston High in 94 which had a class of over 400 kids. And I was lucky if 5 other kids I knew hunted back then. I actually used to pheasant hunt with my Social Studies teacher after school. It was a dying sport 25yrs ago in my area. But I’m not going to complain. That leaves bigger bucks for my son and I going forward.

Offline KillerCrow

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2019, 04:53:07 PM »
lol I hunted pheasants with my ss teacher after school as well but went to onteora
graduated 98'

Offline ruck

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »
My dad started me early, especially fishing, and it stuck with me until today. This pic was either 1969 or 1970, making me 5 or 6. Not sure why kids today lose interest.

Offline wally

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2019, 08:05:44 PM »
There was a time when recurve/longbow hunters didn't want compound bows being used during (THERE) season, just something to think about!   
"I think Politicians should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors."

Offline goodorbit

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »
My dad started me early, especially fishing, and it stuck with me until today. This pic was either 1969 or 1970, making me 5 or 6. Not sure why kids today lose interest.
Dude that's an awesome pic!

Offline ruck

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2019, 12:27:45 PM »
Dude that's an awesome pic!
[/quot

Cool, I tried to post it opened, but couldn't figure it out.  I was owning the white sock/black shoe/guinea tee look, thanks mom!

Offline wardy

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2020, 06:46:06 AM »
Hey Ruck, quit Your bellyaching. Your just mad that i shot your deer. Battery motion light was a brilliant idea,right??? LOL
 Hey my boy just got on, his first night is this wed

Offline ruck

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2020, 01:33:44 PM »
Congrats to your son, my son is not interested, not even taking the test, no matter how hard I push him he just won't take it.
  I don't know why I was ranting about crossbows and poachers, I can't even hunt anymore. But it really bothered me that a guy would have the balls to hunt at night, over bait, with a floodlight, and using a crossbow, all in a nature preserve in Westchester.

Offline MK

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2020, 08:03:12 AM »

Video games and the Internet, if I had to guess Frank. Leaves nothing to the imagination anymore.

I remember in the early 70’s reading Outdoor Life being fascinated with Downriggers and catching Big Browns and Lakers in Flaming Gorge Reservoir and how someday I hoped to do stuff like that! I grew up in (then) rural Putnam Valley with the Hollowbrook in my front yard and woods as far as I could see. I had more things to do in the natural world than I had time for! Oddly, didn’t start fishing the reservoirs until 2012 but that’s another story!

On a good day I can’t get my 21 year old Son out of bed until 2pm because he’s up until 4am with headphones connected to his laptop and a dozen equally minded kids Kiling the same Zombie Nazi for the 1,000,007th time. I’ve learned more uses for the F Bomb listening to him yelling and screaming at his computer! Lol! It’s hard to compete for the attention of today’s youth when there is so much stupidity on the Internet to draw their focus. It’s unfortunate. I, along with all of us passionate sportsmen on this forum have so much we could teach our youth and sadly, at least in my case, the traditions will end with our generation. I’m glad I won’t be around to see the demise of our great sporting heritage.
Facebook Page "NY Reservoir Trout"

Offline wardy

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2020, 07:14:32 AM »
MK, its sad. My son does the same thing but when the moon and stars align i can get him out. Fresh and salt. Hes taken a few deer too but no morning hunts. He doesn’t have the bug like dad does. Theres still a pretty big culture of hunting and fishing up where i am, but overall its dwindling. Dam cell phones, internet and video games(as i type this on my cell phone!!!!😝)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal