Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Antler Restrictions?  (Read 4320 times)

Offline bandhunter31

• Liberty or Death
  • "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"
Re: What are your thoughts on Antler Restrictions?
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
I agree 100% with goose commander...... I am in favor of AR but that is just a piece of the puzzle...... i honestly believe what hurts buck populations more is the length of archery season combined with the increase in the amount of guys who bow/crossbow hunt....... in my fathers generation opening day of rifle was sacred.....now one has to wonder how many bucks are getting harvested before a rifle shot is fired? ...... correct me if im wrong because i dont bow hunt (just crossbow) but if you get your rifle tag, bow tag and muzzle loader/crossbow tag you can technically take 3 bucks?

also as someone who has a lake house in the north country (Newcomb NY) and routinely hunts the Adirondack mountains i am 100% against statewide AR....... guys who are calling for that have obviously never hunted the Adirondack mountains and if they have and are still calling for it, they outa have their heads examined lol.......you could go literally years without seeing a buck and its actually WORK to go hunting...... we "still" hunt many miles per day and do deer drives over pretty high peaks...... most bucks die of old age without ever seeing a human...... and given the fact that you CANNOT harvest doe's in the Adirondack park, i would shoot a small buck up there in a heart beat because of the hard work involved in the entire affair.......
Fast is fine but accuracy is final. In a gunfight you need to take your time in a hurry. - Wyatt Earp

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2019, 11:46:54 AM »
@ Bandhunter, no it's only 2 bucks. Bow/ muzelloader and crossbow all share same either sex tag.

Offline bandhunter31

• Liberty or Death
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2019, 01:58:11 PM »
i gotcha thank you..... i assumed you get an additional bow tag if you have bow privilege......
Fast is fine but accuracy is final. In a gunfight you need to take your time in a hurry. - Wyatt Earp

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2019, 02:09:45 PM »
Band hunter, IMO our 3+week rifle season in middle of Rut affects the buck take more than a lengthy Archery season. Most other states with good nutrition, soils and genetics that enable mature deer without AR typically have 1 week rifle or shotgun only season after Rut. Here in NY Adirondacks and High Peaks of Catskills aside maintaining a deer herd below carrying capacity if lands is just as big a part of doe take other than just growing big racks. AR and available DMP'S incentives taking of does to achieve this. Back in 80's I remember tons of areas within 3J where the browse line from deer overpopulation was everywhere.... now it's far less noticeable in most areas IMO.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2019, 04:22:02 PM »
Lots of good turkey hunting in newcomb.  ;)
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline CMJ76

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2019, 06:18:05 PM »
I am all for AR. I would love to see NY have antler restrictions for most if not all of the state. I wish NYS would set up some type of poll for each WMU where hunters can vote on it when they buy their hunting tags. If the majority of the votes are for it, implement the AR for that WMU the following year.

Offline joey

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2019, 01:32:12 AM »
+ 1 more for pro antler restrictions. No way to argue with it in my opinion.

Offline Buckster

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
Been fuming about this for weeks so will say my piece and be done with it.  To all you "young bucks" and "mountain goats"  remember time will come when your not so fortunate.  Many fine sportsman may be in not as good shape,  not so healthy or are  just not as gifted a hunter.  Maybe they can only walk a short distance or can't drag an animal long distances, don't have the time off or don't have a prime place to hunt.  I'm quite sure you know hunters who haven't shot a buck in years or maybe never.  The bit about an older deer weighing more doesn't mean a whole lot.  Guess we shouldn't shoot small does,  buttons and fawns then. If you want to trophy hunt that's fine but that trophy might be a spike to many hunters.  The last point,  and it's not important to the "me" generation is about my dad.  He taught me to be a sportsman. When he was sick we bundled him up and put him on a good run.  He was 63 and had killed a number of nice bucks.  We pushed to him and bang.  I knew he didn't shoot a doe.  When I got to him he smiled like a kid and pointed "right over there." He shot a spike.  No antler restrictions back then.  He was one of the "boys" again.  That was his last season.  I still have the horns.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
Been fuming about this for weeks so will say my piece and be done with it.  To all you "young bucks" and "mountain goats"  remember time will come when your not so fortunate.  Many fine sportsman may be in not as good shape,  not so healthy or are  just not as gifted a hunter.  Maybe they can only walk a short distance or can't drag an animal long distances, don't have the time off or don't have a prime place to hunt.  I'm quite sure you know hunters who haven't shot a buck in years or maybe never.  The bit about an older deer weighing more doesn't mean a whole lot.  Guess we shouldn't shoot small does,  buttons and fawns then. If you want to trophy hunt that's fine but that trophy might be a spike to many hunters.  The last point,  and it's not important to the "me" generation is about my dad.  He taught me to be a sportsman. When he was sick we bundled him up and put him on a good run.  He was 63 and had killed a number of nice bucks.  We pushed to him and bang.  I knew he didn't shoot a doe.  When I got to him he smiled like a kid and pointed "right over there." He shot a spike.  No antler restrictions back then.  He was one of the "boys" again.  That was his last season.  I still have the horns.

I am pro AR but do think that seniors 65 and older be exempt just like Junior hunters for reason you say.

Online REELTHING

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »
Any adk hunters support restrictions.?

Online REELTHING

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »
You can't eat antlers. :D

Offline bandhunter31

• Liberty or Death
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »

I support them everywhere except the Adirondacks...... cant shoot doe in ADK Park and most bucks die of old age without ever seeing a human...... absolutely no need for it.......

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2019, 12:32:23 AM »
I definitely agree with you,  those ADK bucks get big on there .

I support them everywhere except the Adirondacks...... cant shoot doe in ADK Park and most bucks die of old age without ever seeing a human...... absolutely no need for it.......

Offline touge30

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »
Im selfish 66 years old been hunting  for 52 years feel i should have the right shoot what i want.I HUNT IN A NON AR spot i like it

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »
Im selfish 66 years old been hunting  for 52 years feel i should have the right shoot what i want.I HUNT IN A NON AR spot i like it
Good point, and like tipping scales has said there should be a exemption for seniors as well along with the youths. But with that said I must admit,  I really very rarely ever even see bucks without 3points on one side. Most all of the tiny bucks I see are 5 6 7 8 points with their very first set of antlers, I hardly ever see spikes and 4 points anymore, (and I  have pics to prove it ) years ago there was WAY more spikes and 4pts than now a days. There's PLENTY of legal bucks out there.

But like I said,  I  do think that there should be a  exemption for seniors along with the youths.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal