Author Topic: Hudson River Fishing in the Summer  (Read 1261 times)

Offline MarkMcNeilly

Hudson River Fishing in the Summer
« on: April 01, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »
Hi everyone I have been a member for years but I figured I would get a little more active in the hopes of learning something from you guys.  I love to fish for stripers in the spring and early summer in the Hudson Valley but does Anyone specifically target and fish the Hudson in the summer months and for what species?  I live about 15 minutes from the river and I hate the idea that I am under utilizing the fishery for a big chunk out of the year

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: Hudson River Fishing in the Summer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 07:09:35 AM »
pretty much bass, catfish and carp. never tried fishing for fall stripers but have heard that some people give it a try.. Anyone else have any suggestions for mark?
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline MarkMcNeilly

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 01:40:42 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me appreciate it. I just need to put the time in I suppose I just don't want to be missing out of a good opportunity.  I know guys flock to the river April through June I just never hear much of anything else going on until the next spring though so it got me thinking

Online ole bleu

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 02:49:40 PM »
Who knows what u can catch out of the river I believe that every species of fish out there swims in those waters I mean I wouldn?t target it for trout but they?ve been caught as well as a salmon I believe which was posted on this site several years ago the people that actually fish for large and smallmouth bass say it?s an amazing fishery

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 03:30:41 PM »
Lots of fun to be had on the river big carp tons of cats trout in most of the tribs plenty of all panfish in the river and especially rondout creek tidal section majors large and small mouth fishery happy to offer tips 

Offline MarkMcNeilly

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 04:23:47 PM »
Appreciate the insight guys really. I wouldn't mind targeting some better quality cats I catch a ton of average ones fishing the wallkill targeting smallies from New Paltz on up but I'm sure some bigger fish are to be had on the main river. 

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 05:11:15 PM »
Either cut bait or my favorite raw shrimp fish the drop offs what area are you fishing or live in

Offline MarkMcNeilly

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 05:49:32 PM »
Based out of Newburgh but I launch from Mine dock park in Fort Montgomery all the way up to Saugerties depending on if I am fishing out of the kayak or my 14 ft Lund.  Always heard of Raw shrimp as a great bait but never tried myself and I always have it on hand.  does it matter the species for the cut bait or does one work better than the other?

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 06:12:44 PM »
Herring are best but perch works great to the rocky shoreline of the Hudson has more big bass than most people could ever imagine the scuckholes as they are called which are the cove mouths are great places during our going tides for stripers all summer as well as lots of other fish

Offline MarkMcNeilly

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 07:13:46 PM »
looking forward to it already thank you! just don't want the season to end when the most popular part is over is all. 

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 07:17:31 PM »
You can spend a lifetime fishing rondout creek and not get bored carp bass tons of panfish tiger musky walleye at the dam stripers even crabs late summer

Offline MarkMcNeilly

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 08:02:41 AM »
excited to try already I've launched off Creek Locks Road in the past with decent success but I need to put more time in

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 09:39:15 AM »
ive caught crab right next to cold spring marina and heard BLUEfish make it to CROTon in june ........ https://fishingbooker.com/blog/your-hudson-river-fishing-adventure/#SnippetTab
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

Offline edk

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 10:58:41 AM »
The largemouth and smallmouth fishing can be outstanding, plenty of 3-4lb smallies and 4-6lb largemouth. Takes a while to figure em out, the tide is everything

Offline MarkMcNeilly

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2023, 06:38:48 AM »
I ran a rig suspended off bottom with raw shrimp Last weekend in addition to a striper setup.  The rod with with shrimp had consistent action all day long, small bass, perch, eels, decent sized cats.  will definitely be trying it out again

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal