Author Topic: Oar lock questions  (Read 1030 times)

Offline stevem

Oar lock questions
« on: March 19, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »
Hey all, I like to put boat seats on my reservoir boats to add a little comfort, and for years I've been looking for a solution to raise up the oar locks to compensate for the extra height of the seat. I have not found anything that works. Does anyone have a fix for this? Pictures? Anything is appreciated!

Offline ole bleu

Re: Oar lock questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 10:50:03 AM »
Not sure how long your oars are perhaps try some longer ones

Offline JayBay

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 07:01:10 AM »
Couldn't you just use a 4" long piece of 3"x3" of aluminum angle iron (or any "L" shaped piece) - one leg attached to the outside or inside face of gunwale, plumb it up and level it with washers and self tapping sheet metal screws, and the other one flat to the world and then mount new oar lock on top of flat leg? 

Offline stevem

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 07:14:49 AM »
Couldn't you just use a 4" long piece of 3"x3" of aluminum angle iron (or any "L" shaped piece) - one leg attached to the outside or inside face of gunwale, plumb it up and level it with washers and self tapping sheet metal screws, and the other one flat to the world and then mount new oar lock on top of flat leg?

That's what I was thinking,  just want it to be strong enough because it's gonna take a lot of pressure. Was thinking of something like this. Its just crazy there isn't anything out there to be purchased!

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 07:43:39 AM »
I would look to the crew boats for parts you can probably find something designed for the single rowers

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 07:50:56 AM »
These will work

Offline bigfoot

• NYS STAFF
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 09:53:21 AM »
Or make them from scrap, made these from stuff I had laying around
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Offline stevem

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 11:17:37 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Bigfoot, that is perfect,  exactly what I'm looking to do!  Greensider, I looked at those NRS ones from Amazon, they just don't seem like they would have enough surface area on the gunwale to be real stable... maybe I'm wrong, but I think im gonna fab something up exactly how I want it.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 05:20:34 AM »
They look nice big foot
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal