Author Topic: Pre season ehd question  (Read 1147 times)

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
Pre season ehd question
« on: July 21, 2023, 09:10:08 AM »
So in the last couple years some have been hit hard by ehd and every time I suggested options like hunting somewhere there is deer I get chewed out so my question is what have you guys done since last season have you run cameras to see what deer are still around have to looked for or found new places to hunt or how many have just done nothing but wait till this season to repeat itself again not looking for an argument just seeing what you have done to ensure a better season this year

Online ole bleu

Re: Pre season ehd question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 10:40:57 AM »
Believe it or not they have rebounded pretty good in the areas I hunt still not the numbers that we had prior some areas that got hit in back to back years are still low on #’s but show signs of a rebuilding herd

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 03:09:05 PM »
Ran a camera on farm I hunt after season last year. Got pics of 4 different bucks that i never saw. As stated above #s arent what they were but have seen noticeable improvement since initial EHD. Sullivan county land I hunt , no acorns  so not many deer seen on piece I hunt.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 05:42:25 PM »
oooo starter you... lol.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 06:49:20 PM »
No way lol

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 06:50:26 PM »
Actually was very curious because after the season was over I have not heard anything here or from Dec or news

Online ole bleu

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 09:03:28 PM »
The DEC won’t ever actually post any real #’s on how bad it was

Offline Rickhem

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 07:05:02 AM »
I'm farther north than most here, but I've got a few cameras out in different areas of my land.  There are a couple of does that are alone, but I can see that they must have been nursing a fawn, so maybe the coyotes got it.  There are also a few fawns with their does, so that's good.  Got a half-dozen or so bucks on the different cams that are still in velvet but are developing nicely.  They're all closer to the house than I want them to be, but they are there, so that's good too. 
And a little bennie this year is the apple trees that had nothing last year are all loaded with apples this year.

Offline edk

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 08:31:06 AM »
The 500 or so acres I mainly hunt in 3M got decimated two years ago, dead deer everywhere. Amazingly, last year there were more deer there than I've seen in twenty years. Especially bucks. I believe the EHD outbreaks were pretty concentrated in small areas and the deer from surrounding unaffected areas filled the voids. As long as we don't get hit again I think it will rebound back to normal numbers from what I'm seeing anyway.

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 07:33:44 PM »
All sounds like things are looking up for you guys hopefully it stays that way

Offline jimboy

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 07:27:08 AM »
I'm seeing a very good rebound as well in Rockland and Southern Orange.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 08:01:11 AM »
I am more curious this year on areas with no mast due to the moths

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 08:17:02 AM »
We have lots of acorns here no moths but had heavy frost up to June absolutely no fruit

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 05:46:19 AM »
No acorns here either.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2023, 01:31:36 PM »
my patch was hit hard in 3m in 2020 ... saw very little deer that year especially since the predators were out in force eating all the dead deer  .. b4 ehd it was common to see 15 to 20 deer in a morning sit ..... it hasn't returned to that but 2021 saw a few nice mature bucks and also in 2022 ...... in 2020 I spent more time than usual in another area in 3p that wasn't hit with EHD
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal