Author Topic: Tips for retrieving pheasant without a dog  (Read 960 times)

Offline mike rossi

Tips for retrieving pheasant without a dog
« on: October 07, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »

This does not suggest dogs are not desirable. And, even when hunting with good dogs you still should mark birds you shoot!!!!

READ MORE: https://thebirdhuntingsociety.weebly.com/how-to-retrieve-birds-without-a-dog.html

Offline LooseEye

Re: Tips for retrieving pheasant without a dog
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I have read a few this week on hunting without dogs. I’d love to get into bird hunting and do more pheasant/grouse but never have I been successful in my few trips. I always feel like elmur fudd our there.

Not sure why but I’ve felt a serious draw to birds and small game the last two seasons, even during deer season.

Kyle

Offline GrizG

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »
I did quite a bit of pheasant hunting without a dog in the past though these days I generally do hunt with a dog. In either case, marking the hit is important. Perhaps more important is killing the bird in the air so it doesn't run off and/or bury itself in the cover... That requires a combination of accurate shooting and using appropriate shot. For pheasant #5 has proven to be a reliable killer regardless of the angle or the size of the bird. #6 is usually OK but I've failed to retrieve birds when using it. Anything smaller than #6 is doing a disservice to the game in my experience. 
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline LooseEye

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 08:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Griz!

Offline Geezer

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 08:40:35 PM »
I used to hunt pheasant with a pointer. It is a wonderful thing to have the dog point to a bird and hold it for me while I calmly walk up and flush it. The fetching part is a nice extra, but locating the live bird and holding it is the real value of a dog for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal