Author Topic: New to duck hunting  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Jfuce

New to duck hunting
« on: November 22, 2018, 01:30:55 PM »
Looking to get into duck/ geese hunting. Have shotty, layout blind, and waders. Just looking for some guidance from someone who knows what they are doing! I’m 32 just getting into hunting Now better late then never want something to teach my son when he grows up. I’m located in Florida NY. If you don’t mind having another gun in your group let me know thanks!! -jon

Offline mistermoosey413

Re: New to duck hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »
Hey Jon,

Was just about to start an identical thread. I'm a beginner who's been duck/goose hunting for only about 2 years now and I'm looking to get into it more and go out with some more experienced hunters. I'm across the river from you in Dutchess County. I don't have many good areas to duck hunt over here, so I'm hopeful there's so others out there who might be willing to give some advice or recommendations!

Give me a shout if you'd want to hook up sometime.

-Sean

Offline goodorbit

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »
Might as well chime in here as a new guy looking to get some info too. Kingston area, looking to try Geese as well...

Offline mistermoosey413

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 01:17:42 PM »
Might as well chime in here as a new guy looking to get some info too. Kingston area, looking to try Geese as well...

I know some guys hunt the Hudson in the Kingston area, but without a boat I think it's pretty difficult. I don't have any experience hunting the Hudson aside from Tivoli Bays, but would love to get into some diver shooting.

Offline Chris1389

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 06:01:55 PM »
I sent you a PM

Offline LouieM

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:23:47 AM »
i've been wanting to get into duck/goose and rabbit hunting as well.  I am 29yo and started hunting last season.  I've been able to be successful by researching deer and turkeys online and this forum but have been hesitant to start with ducks/geese with no dog, no boat and not sure what areas to hit. 

Offline goodorbit

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 09:58:30 AM »
Been thinking a Kayak would be a good candidate for getting into some spots and for retrieving ducks as well. Can Tivoli Bays be hunted with waders?

Offline Chris1389

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
If anyone has permission to hunt a alfalfa or corn field we can hunt geese together. I have 12 decoys lay out blind an im really good with my call. Just need the spots to go. PM me

Offline mistermoosey413

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
Hey Chris, where you located? I goose hunt a field here in Dutchess County, but I really only hunt it during the September season because there's guys (including me) that deer hunt the property as well. It's 60 acres of alfalfa/corn. I use 2D silhouette decoys that I made. PM me, we can chat for next year if you're interested.

Offline Jfuce

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 08:24:44 AM »
Well good to know there is other newbies out there! But any veteran waterfowlers in the area can help us out getting our feet wet. Anyone in Orange County ? Been doing some scouting aRound Florida warwick pine island area hoping to get permission on some corn fields where the geese have been.

Offline Jonf20

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
Reviving an old thread here but just joined the forum. I've been hunting waterfowl for a while now have the blinds, decoys, guns, calls, dogs etc. but the spot issue seems to be a common trouble here in the lower part of NY. Im in Putnam and was lucky enough to have some good spots until the past season. All my private spots have been lost due to home owners moving. If any of you found some spots and are open to another hunter in the group or want to link up for pubic land hunts I'd definitely be open to it.

Offline Raz

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »
I have access to West Point and it looks like they have some pretty promising lakes/ ponds to hunt. I am looking for someone to hunt with. Let me know if you might be interested.

Offline ATbuckhunter

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »
I have access to West Point and it looks like they have some pretty promising lakes/ ponds to hunt. I am looking for someone to hunt with. Let me know if you might be interested.
I may be interested in joining you guys come duck season

Offline KillerCrow

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 10:45:52 AM »
I too hope to get in to duck hunting this season being the small munsterlander is a duck dog, I will be making a little blind in the swamp across the street so we can sit and enjoy trying to bag my first ever mallard
best of luck guys.

Offline jseds

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 03:23:26 AM »
Hey Guys, I know i'm commenting on an old thread here and it's really a shot in the dark, but I help run a local (Kingston) chapter of Ducks Unlimited.  We are always looking for volunteers.  Volunteering isn't going out  setting up wood duck boxes and mallard tubes every weekend, it's more selling raffle tickets, helping out at events like out dinner banquet or gun bash.  I started volunteering with Ducks Unlimited and duck hunting about 4 years ago, I had never duck hunted in my life, as a matter of fact I didn't even own a shotgun at the time.  Anyway, I would suggest trying to get involved with a chapter near you, I know the Dutchess county chapter is hooty tooty and not the kind of drag you layout blind and decoys 1/2 a mile through cow oooo in the rain to put down limits of geese...so if you are over there and want a fun chapter come see us.  Orange County and Greene County also have chapters.  The banquets are a ton of fun, lots of guns, gear and decor.  Last year we raffled off a guided hunt on the finger lakes, a striped bass charter on the Hudson out of Saugerties and 10 private lessons from Mossy Pond Retrievers in Marlboro (KillerCrow, they are the best around for training), just as examples of some of the stuff we give away.  I think we also gave away about 20 guns and 15-20 cases of Higdon duck and goose decoys.  I am not a great duck hunter, probably not even a good duck hunter, but Ducks Unlimited has put me in contact with like minded people who have shown me the ropes and given me some valuable information.

4 years later I have 7 shotguns, a duck dog, 2 pairs of wader and a garage full of duck and goose decoys.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal