Hunting- In The New York Area > New York Crossbow & Muzzleloader hunting

crossbow during all bow season

<< < (2/8) > >>

jdbbowhunter:
True on getting more kids in the woods. But everything the DEC has tried to increase #s has failed. Saturday opening day, youth hunts, lowering age. And they take very little imput from sportsman when it comes to hunting fishing and trapping. And early rifle season in areas that were devastated by EHD last year. Another great idea.

LouieM:

--- Quote from: jdbbowhunter on October 13, 2021, 11:54:22 AM ---Crossbow is no different than a compound, Id argue that. Toughest part of bowhunting is drawing bow when deer is in range and not be detected. Dont have to do that with crossbow. One reason of many. Money talks what money would that be?

--- End quote ---

The money talks part is because Ive heard that the bowhunter lobbys in NY are strong and we know money sways politicians.  I tried to fact check if that is true but not an easy thing to google.  So that take with a grain of salt. 

I prefer the compound personally even with the option of the crossbow.  But I find them about even because I hunt from the ground mostly, I put on a lot of miles and the compound is much lighter and easier to carry.  Also, I never even considered what I would do if I needed to get a second shot off with a xbow from a stand. 

Although it is much easier to get proficient with a crossbow, I would still not recommend shooting 40-50yds+ from a tree. Those shots are reserved for target practice and the range.  I would limit my shots to 40yds and below personally since I am in the hardwoods mostly. So with the range being similar from Compound to xbow if you practice, why are we trying to make it harder for people to get proficient? We should be encouraging people to get out there, practice and make smart shots. 

I'm newer to hunting and did not grow up with it and I can't help but notice that hunting more so than other topics, people have a hard time letting go of tradition. That is mostly good but sometimes bad. In this case allowing crossbow is part of keeping the sport alive.  We should be promoting getting more people into the woods, not limiting it.

jdbbowhunter:
The money part is right but look at insurance companies as the one's that control the politicans. Don't believe bow lobby you speak of is terribly well funded. But don't know for sure. Would like to see reaction of hunters if it went back to one buck a year. Most probably wouldn't think that was fair.

ruck:
 You are not being "left out" of archery season, in the same way a motorcyclist isn't being "left out" of a bicycle race, or a rifle hunter isn't being "left out" of archery season. It's not rifle season, it's not crossbow season, it's ARCHERY season. To argue in any sense that firing a crossbow is archery, is just absurd.
 Acting all entitled, and expecting the DEC to cave to your demands, is exactly the same behavior as these men, who claim they are women, and then want to compete against women in sports. It's pathetic actually.

jdbbowhunter:
And to point above , how many guys hunt with crossbow during gun season. Not many I'd bet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version