Author Topic: Bear age report. Guess his age  (Read 855 times)

Offline Overland

Re: Bear age report. Guess his age
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2023, 07:30:48 PM »
That is blatantly wrong. Just simply not possible. I strongly doubt the work of the state's bear aging folks. One year I took a bear and did not send in a tooth. I received a patch and a letter anyway, stating that my bear was 5.5 years old. Your bear is significantly older than 1.75 years old.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2023, 07:31:07 PM »
15 plus
Brian, I’m glad you chimed in…I sure wish Dick was here to validate the plausibility of this.
I’m shocked beyond belief 😱

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2023, 07:40:26 PM »
I know what you are all thinking…I bet you are thinking that the taxidermist mixed up teeth..NO, I pulled the teeth and put them in the envelope myself. The Dec sends the teeth to a lab. Is it possible that they messed up??? Maybe but I’ve been fortunate enough to have taken 11 of these awesome animals, my oldest was 17.75 a sow dressed 150. Several 1.75s most dressed 100-120# and the other 2 big boys that I got…one was 2.75 he was pope and young also and my biggest was 5.75 tipping the scales at nearly 400#and several others that surprised me.
So…am I crazy for believing this report???

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2023, 07:41:29 PM »
That is blatantly wrong. Just simply not possible. I strongly doubt the work of the state's bear aging folks. One year I took a bear and did not send in a tooth. I received a patch and a letter anyway, stating that my bear was 5.5 years old. Your bear is significantly older than 1.75 years old.
how could you possibly look at my picture and think that it was older than your bear?

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2023, 08:11:37 PM »
I am going to say 2.75 because you are saying we would be surprised and even though P&Y, still room in that head to fill out those ears.  I shot one similar head size but with a rifle and was 2.75yo. Your bear weighs more though and looks bigger in the pic so I would not bet on that age, just playing the game with that guess. Congrats on him
Lou good call following my lead…also I’m glad that I’m not the only one who has gotten a big bear that was reported to be 2.75. About 10 years ago I got a big boy that was pope and young 18 3/16” and was surprised they told me 2.75.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2023, 08:55:56 PM »
ok, just found this from last year. This makes sense, they started using a new lab last year, the letter says “ less confident , age should be considered 1+-
So to be fair let’s say it’s a 2.75 year old boar, cause it would be really unlikely that he was 1.75.

Offline logic

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2023, 11:08:35 PM »
Its could be 2-1/2 but no way 1-1/2 .

Offline 1shot1kill

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2023, 05:39:05 AM »
That's wild Matt.  The one i messaged you about was also Pope & Young and ended up being 19.75.  Not this past year, but from the year prior.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2023, 06:07:19 AM »
Read this Matt some good tips on aging a bear from his skull. https://andastrongcupofcoffee.com/2016/03/aging-bear-by-its-skull/
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2023, 06:33:18 AM »
Read this Matt some good tips on aging a bear from his skull. https://andastrongcupofcoffee.com/2016/03/aging-bear-by-its-skull/
Good article Ron, remember me telling you that it had all the characteristics of a young bear, I have old bear skulls and young, I have seen the difference mine definitely has the younger characteristics.
But, let’s assume that the teeth aging is off by a year, and he really only was 2.75….still pretty darn amazing.
I think I will try calling the biologist that signed the letter, see what they have to say. Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2023, 06:45:36 AM »
That's wild Matt.  The one i messaged you about was also Pope & Young and ended up being 19.75.  Not this past year, but from the year prior.
I remember you telling me that Don…that’s a old one for sure!!! My old sow had busted up narly teeth and even her chest/ armpit hair was bristled like a old broom, lol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal