Author Topic: New Striper Slot  (Read 2494 times)

Offline JayBay

New Striper Slot
« on: February 11, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »
The following recreational motions were passed for NY:  a slot limit of 28-35” on the coast and in the Delaware River, and 18-28” for the Hudson River. These regulation measures were approved by ASMFC and now it is up to the state to enact emergency regulations to have them in place by April 1st of this year. I just want to note that these are the MINIMUM regulations that will be enacted, and it is up to the managers to enact more restrictive regulations or seasons if they think it is warranted (so nothing is set in stone yet).
Nothing over 40" this year!

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
Re: New Striper Slot
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 11:18:43 AM »
I'd be ok with a 22 or 24-28" slot. Keeping an 18" fish is a waste... there were some fishermen seeing a lack of the 24-28" fish last year and more of the 30-36" age class. I wonder if the widespread take of the smaller age class being compressed has created a shortage in those size fish from that last few years after implementation of the slot?  At some point the upper tier class breeding fish will overtake that issue by saturation of juvenile recruitment levels with the added breeders spawning I hope.

Offline Steve_J

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:22:22 AM »
90% of my fish last year were 35-37”, none under 33” none over 39”

Offline Bruce T

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 12:59:26 PM »
This revision will have a huge economic impact.  I doubt seriously whether charter fishing will continue on the Hudson and this will certainly curtail sale of bait, tackle, gas etc.  I also recommend that we all comment on the "Emergency rules" and make NYSDEC consider alternatives.  We also need to make a lot of noise so they don't close fishing in the Hudson all together.  The Marine district rules were promulgated  last December using the normal process, so why didn't NYSDEC propose something for the Hudson at that time?    I am curious as to why NYSDEC waited until now to begin the process as emergency for the Hudson.  Why couldn't the slot have been changed to something like  20" - 30 " ( this still protects female Bass).  Or requiring circle hooks in the marine district to limit dead fish. I understand the full extent of the process and I am aware of the Mid Atlantic Fisheries Advisory Council etc.  I certainly wonder if the delay and using the Emergency Rule Process was by design .....
BruceT

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 01:16:24 PM »
This revision will have a huge economic impact.  I doubt seriously whether charter fishing will continue on the Hudson and this will certainly curtail sale of bait, tackle, gas etc.  I also recommend that we all comment on the "Emergency rules" and make NYSDEC consider alternatives.  We also need to make a lot of noise so they don't close fishing in the Hudson all together.  The Marine district rules were promulgated  last December using the normal process, so why didn't NYSDEC propose something for the Hudson at that time?    I am curious as to why NYSDEC waited until now to begin the process as emergency for the Hudson.  Why couldn't the slot have been changed to something like  20" - 30 " ( this still protects female Bass).  Or requiring circle hooks in the marine district to limit dead fish. I understand the full extent of the process and I am aware of the Mid Atlantic Fisheries Advisory Council etc.  I certainly wonder if the delay and using the Emergency Rule Process was by design .....

The Hudson was the 1st to implement the slot protection coast wide what 3-4 years ago? Cant remember how long it's been but we were ahead of the curve!  I think that preliminary efforts is working and we are in much better shape than the Chesapeake fishery. I think 2 years of this coastwide breeder protection will vastly improve the fishing in a few years. Like myself and Steve said the amount of larger 30-39" fish bring caught and released last year was far higher than the 2 years prior combined IMO. There were tons of 40"+ fish caught also better than it's been in years quite many being released by anglers and charters preaching preservation to allow to spawn. Yes I know of some kept and there were a few that were not able to be revived against fishermen's attempts.  All in all I saw and heard of more large fish released in our area than were killed. I am hopeful we have done our job and will a moratorium has been avoided. 

I see circle hooks being added to the new regs to reduce released fish mortality. 

Offline b-g-k

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:17:29 PM »

I work more than a half dozen charter trips per season when Reel Addicted double books both boats.  I’ve been helping him for 2 seasons now.  On our way out of the creek I always took time to educate the clients that while legal, it is a good move to release the trophy slot fish.  I always told them it was their choice.  They were always released in good condition and the clients were happy to do it.  My point is that charter fishing will be just fine.  Most are there for the experience, not solely to kill a 40”+ fish.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 05:39:15 AM »
Bruce why do u say charter fishing will not continue on the hudson? I would think most captains would rather throw back all fish.  The first thing i tell my guest on my drift boat is we dont fish for food all fish get released and not one person ever argued over this rule. Its the tug thats the drug. ;D
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline JayBay

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 10:37:14 AM »
I agree in releasing all fish regardless of size, last year I caught a 44" cow on a circle hook, got photo, and released her unharmed, and sent away for a fiberglass mount.  I do believe circle hooks are a good idea, I used them about 50% of the time last year and had good luck with them.  I think it will be more difficult to run these fishing derbies and tournaments with the short slot, which I think should not be allowed.  The taking of wild game to win a prize or prize money shouldn't be permitted.  Its too bad that there can't be a male - female designation (have a keeper slot on males only, all females to be released) but you can't have an ordinary Joe expected to be able to tell a male from a female, so that doesn't work.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 11:26:01 AM »
Most Striper Tournaments at least hear on the river have been in great decline over the last 5 years or so, only a few left that I know of. I only participated in a few over the years and i lost interest. The catch and release Tournaments are a great idea it's just so hard to police them and fairness.

I'm going to voluntarily switch over to circle hooks this year weather required or not. When worm or eel fishing I only use circles anyway the herring fishing I switch back and forth the only reason is because charter clients can't resist the urge to set the hook like the see largemouth fisherman do on TV and loose alot of fish.

Offline Bruce T

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 01:09:55 PM »
While I nearly always release all larger stripers, I am not sure most charter customers feel the same as I do.  For me, when I catch a cow (36" +) a picture or two and off she goes.  I  hope I am wrong that charter captains are not hurt by this rule.  I certainly feel strongly that NYSDEC must consider the economics and solicit comments from the stakeholders for this rule making.  Their approach to use Emergency Rule making, limits the process and limits the comments by stakeholders, that is my main beef with NYSDEC.  I also think NYSDEC needs to look hard at the 18" to 28" slot .  Nobody wants to keep an 18" striper and we certainly want to protect these immature fish. That said the males are typically smaller than the females during the run so we could adjust the slot size to typically harvest males during the run.   As far as the rest of the year I would suggest returning all 18" to 24" fish as these are often immature.
BruceT

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 03:16:32 PM »
im not a charter captain and I don't make a living selling bait so I cant comment from their perspective ….. As a Striper only fisherman who parks his boat in June and starts getting ready for bow season ..... no one has banned fishing …. u can still catch any size fish and quite frankly the smaller ones taste better if u ask me ….. but like most have said its insulting to make the slot 18" - 28 …. who the heck is going to keep an 18 inch Striper? shift the slot a little or make it the same as the Delaware ……...
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

Offline touge30

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 04:32:27 PM »
I use to fish every tournament i could! And i miss doing it.Loved the competition.Not ashamed of it .

Offline Bruce T

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 04:52:07 PM »
Guys, we have to all sign up to circle hooks when fishing cut and live bait.  9 % of the fish we are returning to the water do not survive , taken in context of all striped bass mortality that equates to more fish than were intentionally harvested ......

excerpt from "On the water" February 15th 2019 Kevin Blinkoff

" In 2017, commercial fishermen were responsible for 10% of coastal removals. Recreational fishermen were responsible for the other 90%. That 90% includes 42% that were harvested and 48% that are estimated to have died after being caught and released by recreational fishermen. Based on studies, scientists estimate that about 9% of striped bass caught and released by anglers do not survive.

To put those percentages in numbers, recreational fishermen are estimated to have caught 41.2 million striped bass in 2017. They kept 2.9 million and released 38.2 million. Of those 38.2 million released, it is estimated that 3.4 million did not survive.

Figures and information were taken from the presentation given at the ASMFC meeting of the Striped Bass Management Board. More information about the striped bass stock can be found on the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission site."
BruceT

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 05:17:52 PM »
Guys, we have to all sign up to circle hooks when fishing cut and live bait.  9 % of the fish we are returning to the water do not survive , taken in context of all striped bass mortality that equates to more fish than were intentionally harvested ......

excerpt from "On the water" February 15th 2019 Kevin Blinkoff

" In 2017, commercial fishermen were responsible for 10% of coastal removals. Recreational fishermen were responsible for the other 90%. That 90% includes 42% that were harvested and 48% that are estimated to have died after being caught and released by recreational fishermen. Based on studies, scientists estimate that about 9% of striped bass caught and released by anglers do not survive.

To put those percentages in numbers, recreational fishermen are estimated to have caught 41.2 million striped bass in 2017. They kept 2.9 million and released 38.2 million. Of those 38.2 million released, it is estimated that 3.4 million did not survive.

Figures and information were taken from the presentation given at the ASMFC meeting of the Striped Bass Management Board. More information about the striped bass stock can be found on the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission site."

I take the 9-10% rule of thumb on released fish mortality with a grain of salt. Maybe because of our colder waters verses southern states or late summer salt season I rarely see floaters! Last year I think I saw 2 the entire 6 weeks of spring run that I spent virtually every day on the water many of them running 2 trips. If the 10% mortality rang true on days I'm fishing with 100 boats or more in the 10 mile stretch of hudson we would be seeing floaters everywhere!

That said if we can help reduce mortality even a few % it only helps the fishery and us ourselves in future fishing.

Offline JayBay

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 11:53:21 AM »
If my memory serves me correctly, I thought the NYSDEC report last year said 19% release mortality (not 9%) - either way, these coated hooks do not corrode and dissolve as you are lead to believe - when a striper is hooked in the gullet their throat is effectively sewn shut and it leads to death - even if that's not the case, rough handling, keeping it out of the water too long, boating it immediately after getting them in the landing net, etc. all adds toward mortality.  When I get a fish in the landing net, I pause and let them float in the net and recover for a couple minutes, I have my camera in a holder and ready (I usually fish alone) I use black rubber gloves like you can buy at NAPA for mechanics, I bring the fish in boat and don't let it slam on floor of the boat, quickly measure if it is worth measuring but usually just estimate the length, surgically remove the hook with proper tools while it is on floor of the boat, press shutter on phone camera which is on 5-second timer on selfie, pick up fish with lower jaw grip and supporting it under stomach, photo snaps, release gently head-first into the water.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal