Author Topic: Hudson River Striper Rules  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Bruce T

Hudson River Striper Rules
« on: February 10, 2020, 12:00:47 PM »
I am hearing that we are going to get 1 fish  18 to just under 28 inches for the 2020 run.  I suggest we keep a close eye out for the "Emergency Rule Change" NYSDEC will publish soon.  I plan to comment and I encourage all of us to give them our thoughts.  I am all about conservation, but we (those that fish the Hudson) keep getting the short end of the quota. 
BruceT

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
Re: Hudson River Striper Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »
Yes from what I am reading 1 fish 18” to under 28” (27.99”) . No trophy fish 40” plus this year. So only can keep the small ones. Probably see another change or 2 by March. Catch and release soon.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 05:20:28 AM »
Catch and release wouldnt hurt for a few years.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 06:55:38 AM »
Catch and release wouldnt hurt for a few years.
I pretty much do that now. But when your chartering that’s would be tough customers want to come home with something.

Offline Steve_J

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 07:19:58 AM »
All the damage is done in the salt. They should get the short end of the stick. None of the Hudson River charters are putting up kill pics like these

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 07:25:00 AM »
I absolutely agree nothing in the Hudson has a real effect on populations of stocks compared to salt water take all up the coast

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 08:23:35 AM »
Hudson fisherman definitely have an effect on the fishery, true that most Charter boats don't hammer the big cows with boat limits like the Salt. But every 40" cow taken from the spawn is something like 3 million eggs that never get laid, it's a short sighted thought to only protect that same cow in River then only to be killed in Salt a month or 2 later immediately stopping future offspring of that fish. IMO the new Regs should have same slot limits Salt and River a few years to allow all those female 28"+ fish we are saving in River to hit sexual maturity and have a few seasons of spawning before removed.

Personally I think I've only kept 2 river fish <28" in 3 seasons, last year my charters did not keep any Trophy fish so we did our part. Yes Salt we had some 46-50" cows I'm not gonna lie. Charters customers are paying for trips and if legal it's their right to keep a fish, I don't do the "Capt" limit to give guests an additional keeper to take home it's just my thing..  With new regulations it makes this alot easier on for hire boats to convince customers release of cows for sake of fishery where before it's a slippery slope to persuade them to do at at time of catch and not piss them off.

Offline touge30

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 08:54:29 AM »
Did the rules change for everybody ct mass jersy ri

Offline JayBay

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
NY Coast and and Delaware River slot is 28"-35"

Offline Bruce T

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 01:09:01 PM »
Please keep in mind there is mortality with catch and release especially when not using circle hooks.  I would also add that as the water temperature warms up the survival of catch and release  fish goes down.  I am all for preserving the resource but NYSDEC and the Mid Atlantic Fisheries Council need to be fair with the rules and not penalize one area over another.  They certainly need to publish the rules with enough time to receive input from all the stakeholders, not just those in the Marine district.
BruceT

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »
I wish NJ and Rhode Island hadn't bucked the trend not matching the rest of coastal regulations.  Unity is the only way it will be consistently successful as these migratory fish thru multiple states.

Circle hooks will be mandatory I believe that is last part that will be added to the emergency regulations.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal