Author Topic: Sleightsburgh Boat ramp restricted access part 2  (Read 2036 times)

Offline samoleon

Sleightsburgh Boat ramp restricted access part 2
« on: January 19, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
   For any of you or your friends that use the Sleighsburgh ramp for either fishing or just boating the town is restricting the usage time of this ramp.  There is a group of us still fighting the issue.  (See my original post “Sleightsburgh ramp getting restricted hours” ).  Back in July we went to the town board meeting to protest this. A lot of us use this ramp in the fall for bass fishing & duck hunting. At that time the supervisor said the change is being implemented because a couple people that live by the ramp are complaining there are people in there all hours drinking, dealing drugs, & making fires. She  said she would set up an independent meeting to resolve this with us. To date she has not done anything even though some of us have talked to her  asking when the meeting was happening and others have stopped in to see her (never there BTW) but left a our name , phone number & the reason why we were there. Since the meeting in July the following turn of events has happened
-   The town hired a security company to open and close the gate daily at a cost of town of Esopus payers of over $8000.00    (3 months). At the board meeting the supervisor said there is no additional cost to the tax payer.
-   In December the town decided to go back to the key system that worked for 15 + years and never had an issue but they never told anyone of the change so when we went to go hunting we found the gate locked. So since we could not get in that day was wasted.
-   Once we got keys to access the ramp someone took it upon them selves to put their own lock on the gate so we could not access the ramp. This happened at least 3 times that I know of.  I personally started carrying bolt cutters in my truck to cut any lock off that was not the towns and 1 time did cut a lock to access the ramp. This in my opinion is harassment to us hunters / fisherman and whoever is doing this should be arrested.
-   I have talked to the sheriffs and got a list of the calls for the area for the past 5-6 years. (BTW I was told the town asked for this prior to me asking) . There were only hand full of calls over those years. They also told me they do routine patrols down there when the ramp is open and the only thing  that every came about was possession of pot. There were no signs of other stuff going on (drinking, drugs, or fires.).  I recently brought this up list to a town board member and he said I know about the list and there are hardly any calls for there.  I never told him the amount of calls. So there is no reason for the ramp not to be open 24/7.
-   The guy in the sheriff dept also told me that the town told him that they are installing cameras. He told the supervisor that once the cameras are installed give him the IP address and the sheriffs can link in the cameras to their system so they can see what is going on. This was supposed to be done last year.  As of 3 weeks ago when I was at the town hall questions this whole issue I asked when the cameras are being installed and they said they are waiting on Central Hudson to give them power for the cameras.  The town is dragging their feet on this.
This administration is restricting us sportsmen and boaters because these few people are complaining, making up lies to get the boat ramp closed. The town has done nothing to resolve this issue and just keep ignoring this. We are not giving up and I hope other people on this site come and support our efforts to keep this open 24/7.  This Tuesday 1/21/20 at 7:00 we are going to the next town board meeting and then on Tuesday 2/4/20 at 7:00PM we are going to the town work shop. If you don’t show up and fight don’t complain when you go to use this and find the gate locked. This ramp has been in operation for around 20 years and now this administration is caving to 2-3 people. This is the only ramp in the area that is free and easy access to the Hudson.,  Hope to pack both meetings with fellow sportsmen.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: Sleightsburgh Boat ramp restricted access part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 06:06:53 PM »
Do me a favor call Senator George Amedore's Kingston office ask for Heidi tell her i told u to call and ask them for help. Senator Armedore is a big hunter and fisherman they will get things moving for you. Phone: 845-331-3810
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline samoleon

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 07:51:44 PM »
I will do that Tuesday morning I’m assuming they’re closed tomorrow because of the holiday. Thanks for the info

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »
Interesting read. I have grown up on these grounds and went to town years ago about this last meeting I was away but friends went. My understanding on this land was a local donated the land (Esopus) residents to enjoy it for free. This was in return for an issue he had with his own property on the Hudson.

Offline Ziffystriperchum

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • FishRockFish! . . .RockFishRock!
    • Striperchum.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:21:16 AM »
This excerpt is from Scenic Hudson Website:

Sleightsburgh Park
Kingston, Ulster County
Hudson River Valley, New York State

From Scenic Hudson: "Esopus, Ulster County (79 acres) Excellent fishing opportunities and breathtaking views abound at this park, preserved by Scenic Hudson and owned by the Town of Esopus. A half-mile of trails parallel Rondout Creek, leading through a wooded peninsula to a spit of land that extends far out into the river."
This 79-acre peninsula at the mouth of the Rondout Creek was purchased by The Scenic Hudson Land Trust and conveyed to the Town of Esopus. A conservation easement held by our land trust ensures the property will forever remain parkland.

Sleightsburgh Park offers deep water boat access onto Rondout Creek, the wooded peninsula is criss-crossed with trails that offer good bird watching and views of the Kingston Lighthouse.

Things To Do at Sleightsburgh Park
Birding | Bird Watching
Boat Launch
Deep water boat access onto Rondout Creek
Fishing
Nature Study
Paddling
Picnicking
Walking Trails

Has anyone spoken to Scenic Hudson???? . . .  I'll be at next meeting!! . . . The squeeky wheel usually gets the grease . . .we need to make more than a squeek about this IMHO! Cameras are a great idea! . . . While they are at it . . . they should improve signage to inform folks where to park . . . keeping individual cars from parking in the boat trailer parking spots as well.
"True Heaven can be found between the skin
and bones of a properly prepared Striped
Bass" . . .

Got Herring???

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 12:51:08 PM »
I don’t see why they need power for the cameras there are plenty of battery operated ones

Offline Geezer

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 02:01:01 PM »
I don’t see why they need power for the cameras there are plenty of battery operated ones
And they can easily get enough solar power to charge them.

This whole thing seems like the local politicians trying to appease a couple of squeaky wheels who don't want people using that area after dark. The only way to beat them is to be an even louder squeaky wheel.

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 02:12:06 PM »
Lots of leg work here much appreciated but i am sooo glad i am leaving this area maybe the state

Offline samoleon

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 06:34:14 PM »
They have been dragging their feet. They have been saying they were going to get a camera for eight or nine months now. They created a problem now just don’t wanna deal with it. One of the people complaining wanted The gate shut  but wanted to town to give her a key so they can use it as they want and screw everyone else.  Totally bulloooo. The town needs to get some balls and straighten this out

Offline bowski76

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 08:46:51 AM »
A bunch of NIMBY'S.
Same type of people who buy a house near an airport and constantly complain about the noise.

Offline GrizG

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 03:07:49 PM »
Has anyone spoken to Scenic Hudson???? . . . 

I just reached out to my contact at Scenic Hudson. I'll advise when I hear back...
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline samoleon

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »
This is owned by the town not scenic Hudson.  This land was left to the town. If Scenic Hudson gets it there's a possibility that they will stop hunting in there. Some of us have been hunting there for 50+ years. , The group of guys that have been fighting this met last night with some board members prior to the main meeting and we are meeting again next week in our own meeting to get this resolved.  The town had a system that worked fine for 15+ years and through 3-4 different supervisor. This new supervisor does knee jerk reactions to everything. Hopefully next week it will be worked out.

Offline samoleon

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 12:31:18 PM »
After many hours of research and several of us going to board meetings along with just showing up at the town hall to complain this issue has been finally resolved. Thanks to the Sherriff's who provide me with the info to prove there has been was no criminal activity at the ramp area for the lasts several years except for the person who took it upon themselves to lock the gate so we couldn't access the ramp to duck hunt. There were a few board members who worked with us also thanks to them also.
There is a camera being installed so they can monitor what is going on there now. The ramp will be open 24 /7 from  April 1st  to Oct 31st. The other times it can be used by hunters & fisherman but a key is needed from the town hall with a $10 deposit. Fishing license or  hunting license is required to use after Oct 31st.

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 12:34:54 PM »
Great leg work very much appreciate your efforts

Offline GrizG

NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal