Author Topic: Fox By The Pond  (Read 618 times)

Offline Rickhem

Fox By The Pond
« on: April 05, 2023, 07:06:30 AM »
Had a buddy over on Sunday and while he was there we noticed that there were three herons working the edges of the pond.  Even had a pair of woodies swimming around.  A few minutes later, this fox shows up and it is focused on those herons.  One flew away pretty quickly, but the other two played back-and-forth with the fox for about 20 minutes.  Of the two that stayed, one heron would just fly over to the side of the pond opposite the fox, but the other would just stay out 3-4 feet in the water, as deep as it's long legs would take it, and the fox would be standing there on the bank trying to figure out what to do.  The fox looked bad, tail was almost like a rat tail, and my buddy said he'd probably just shoot it, but it wasn't really doing else anything abnormal.  Interesting too that the ducks would basically follow the fox around the pond, staying out about 20 feet from the edge, but they made sure they were right there wherever that fox wandered around the edge.  Pic attached, and not a great pic, but you can see it's not a good looking fox.

Offline 1shot1kill

• NYS Supporter
Re: Fox By The Pond
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 05:41:26 AM »
Interesting.  I'm working at a site in West Shokan and when I pulled in yesterday morning, there was a mink and three Canada geese all standing next to each other on the edge of a pond.  There were some ducks out in the water as well and the geese were just staring at the mink, but didn't appear to be bothered by it. 

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 05:59:31 AM »
I've seen a few fox over the winter that sure looked like they had the mange.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Rickhem

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 09:39:43 AM »
I've got a trail cam over by that side of the pond and I get fox almost every night moving back and forth through that area.  Also rabbits, which is probably why the fox are there.  Coyotes seem to frequent the area as well, although not as often.  I'll have to pull that card and see if this fox is one of the regulars, or if it is a rogue.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal