Author Topic: Dealing with lyme  (Read 1551 times)

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
Dealing with lyme
« on: February 23, 2020, 06:37:25 AM »
Just putting this out there for my fellow outdoors people if you start not feeling good please don’t wait get tested immediately I pushed myself all summer fall and into winter with joints locking up muscles hurting and getting to where i was struggling to walk in my own yard pure stubbornness as it turns out I have lyme again and caused rheumatoid arthritis levels to surge after steroids and antibiotics I am better but everything I do causes joint pain like you would not believe next doctor appointment coming up hopefully some relief is coming so please get tested don’t wait

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: Dealing with lyme
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 06:45:58 AM »
Sorry to hear this Ken. Lyme is no joke for sure.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline striperman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »
Sorry to hear that bud.Hope you feel better soon.
Golf,the art of playing fetch with yourself.

Offline 1shot1kill

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 07:57:44 PM »
Good luck with that Ken.  Take care of yourself.  I always think about lyme's.  Always have exposure to ticks. Never sure if I'm just aching and sore from work or maybe its something else.  So far, so good.  Wish you the best!

Offline jmack413

• NYS Supporter
  • vegetarian old indian word for lousy hunter,
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:09 PM »
really no joke do what ever it takes to take care of yourself, I had it but caught real early, but a guy at work wasn't lucky forced him into quiting work, my uncle ended up dying from it after getting it the second time

Offline DaveW

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 07:55:51 AM »
Sorry to hear this Ken, I worry about Lyme often but don’t spend nearly as much time in the woods as you do. Even still I’ve definitely pulled a few off me including one that started to burrow into my head.
Spud your way and stay on top.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
Sorry to here Ken, it's no joke for sure and nasty disease! I've had it 2x's but have caught it relatively early after the bites when the aches and stiffness flares up, had to do 2 rounds of Doxy each time.

Offline ruck

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »
Hope the meds knock it out for you. I had Ehrlichiosis and Lyme, the Ehrlichiosis was worse actually. Now I check myself carefully every single day, and keep body hair manscaped so I can see them.
 People with dogs in the house get ticks off their dogs even if they don't go in the woods themselves. It happened to a neighbor of mine, she found a tick in her bed, then a couple days later while showering she felt a bump in her hair. It was a fully engorged tick, and a week later she had the fever and joint pain........

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 10:31:35 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes I probably had 20 bites this past year definitely going to be another bad year with this mild winter I never used sprays because of the cancer concern with them but I guess I will start using them

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 11:32:12 AM »
If you have dedicated gear for your trapping and hunting spray with sawyers it long lasting and not like your spraying wet deet that can be absorbed thru skin. Hit boots pants  and socks to at least prevent them getting in. I have it but will admit I'm pretty bad about spraying down before outdoor activities. 

If you find a tick bite there is a 48 hour window that a quick 3 day dose of Doxy can be used as preventative.  My doctor will call in script for me if I call in with a new tick bite. I am pretty sensitive to them now, if i get a tick bite that is positive i will get flu like aches and fever in less than 24 hours. My tell tale is achy stiff elbows forearms and hands sometimes including headaches that last for days that painkillers dont touch.

Offline seadog8

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 12:12:11 PM »
Hope you feel better soon. 

Offline GrizG

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »
If you have dedicated gear for your trapping and hunting spray with sawyers it long lasting and not like your spraying wet deet that can be absorbed thru skin. Hit boots pants  and socks to at least prevent them getting in. I have it but will admit I'm pretty bad about spraying down before outdoor activities. 

If you find a tick bite there is a 48 hour window that a quick 3 day dose of Doxy can be used as preventative.  My doctor will call in script for me if I call in with a new tick bite. I am pretty sensitive to them now, if i get a tick bite that is positive i will get flu like aches and fever in less than 24 hours. My tell tale is achy stiff elbows forearms and hands sometimes including headaches that last for days that painkillers dont touch.

Spray the Permethrin inside the pants cuffs, shirt/jacket cuffs, around the waist band and collar, bottom hem of coats/jackets, edges of hats, and any holes in the clothing (my bird hunting and tree felling clothes in particular get holes and tears regularly that need to be sewn closed). Ticks don't go through the clothes they go through openings... My outdoor clothing should probably be treated as hazardous waste when I go but the tactic has kept me healthy. This despite living in the grass and fringe pretty much year round while hunting, doing trail maintenance, mountain biking and falling trees!
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 08:19:17 PM »
Bad stuff! This past fall, I had more ticks then ever, and I just pulled one off me just now, must have hitched a ride when I was collecting sap.

Offline striperman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 08:37:37 AM »
Also make sure to spray boots and shoes.And make sure to do the shoe strings because ticks can latch onto them very easy.
Golf,the art of playing fetch with yourself.

Offline Mr Fudd

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 08:30:09 AM »
I'm still hearing so many conflicting medical opinions on Lyme. And the mixed opinions come from the medical community itself, not just opinions on forums. I've had it twice and my wife has also had it twice over a 20 yr period and the testing and treatment methods vary so much between doctors it's mind boggling, and makes you wonder who is right and if a person can even trust a certain Doctors opinion. I'm wondering what if anything they've learned about this disease. Now we have Corona virus making its grand entrance into America. God help us

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal