Author Topic: Centerpin question  (Read 1666 times)

Offline CMJ76

Centerpin question
« on: September 26, 2019, 03:14:19 PM »
I am thinking about learning how to float fish and picking up a Centerpin setup for steelhead. Any recommendations? Anyone know how the Okuma Sheffield DRII Drag Centerpin reel is? Any info is appreciated. I would mainly use on Salmon River but possibly on other streams too.
Thanks

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: Centerpin question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 05:21:30 AM »
You dont need a drag system trust me ive taught dozen and dozens of guys how to use a pin thats the easy part fighting a fish. The clickers on them ohuma reels suck i know so many guys who wish they spent a few more bucks and bought a better reel. JMO. You could probably pick up a used king pin for that money.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Pointer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
I’m considering purchasing a center pin as well. Can you please suggest what you consider to be a top of the line reel?

Thanks in advance

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:13:04 AM »
You can pay from $250 up to $1500 for a pin . Ive never bought a new one and i have 2 that are over 20 years old. The Okuma works well for a first reel i just dont like the clickers on them.  I took a friend the other day who bought one last fall and he did 7 or 8 fish catching both his personal best brown and rainbow with it. I recommended both his rod and reel to him last year. The reel is the okuma and the rod is the Aventa 13'6", 4-6lbs and he is pretty happy with them.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..

Offline Steve_J

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 09:29:10 AM »
I learned on the okuma aventa combo and it was fine. The clicker does suck though.. i would keep a hair tie on the rod and hook it to the reel handle when not fishing so you dont get a mess of line coming off the reel.
Also for ease of mobility and quick rigging i recommend a 2 piece rod.. Riversider makes a nice 13' and shimano has the 12'6" convergence which is what i use both on local creeks and upstate for steel.
The main difference between the starter reels and the expensive ones is the startup (how easily they start spinning) sometimes the cheaper reels need a tug on the line to get spinning good in slower water (shouldnt be a issue on the salmon river).
If you want top of the line go kingpin, milner, riverkeeper, canada reels, or paine falls if you can find one for sale. Otherwise for a starter id go okuma or raven. Riversider also makes a starter pin. Check out float fishing central on facebook you can usually find whatever you want for sale on there

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »
great advice steve thanks for chiming in.. only good thing about a 3 piece is it breaks down small and can be tucked away behind the seat of my truck..Glad i have one for traveling as my cap door dont lock.

Offline CMJ76

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 03:42:40 PM »
Nice fish congrats!!! (beers)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 05:48:15 PM »
Someone grab that islander. Its a good reel for the money.. Spence were are you from?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal