Author Topic: Buck scoring?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
Buck scoring?
« on: November 01, 2020, 03:20:10 PM »
Hey guys I did a rough green score on yesterday's buck and can honestly say I'm shocked. I didn't have the flex tape but used a wire and transferred to ruler for measurements. Im pretty sure I'm fairly close but even if I'm off a couple inches it scores way higher than I thought. I knew the mass was better than avg consistent thru entire rack. I'm including my score sheet calculations.  I honestly almost passed this buck looking for bigger.

Am I crazy because I'm just stuck on visualizing wider spread 8 point frames?

What are your thoughts guys?

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Buck scoring?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 03:30:56 PM »
It’s a nice buck Pat but something isn’t right with that score.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 03:36:52 PM »
Did you add the tip to tip in? That’s not included in score, like I said it’s a nice buck but I think it’s more like 115”

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 03:40:36 PM »
Yeah, its the tip to tip #. I was just now going thru the Boone and Crocket scoring and although they make you take the measurements i missed where tip to tip is not added, just like the outside spread...

Thanks for clarification,  literally I was thinking I was crazy!

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 04:02:52 PM »
Yeah, its the tip to tip #. I was just now going thru the Boone and Crocket scoring and although they make you take the measurements i missed where tip to tip is not added, just like the outside spread...

Thanks for clarification,  literally I was thinking I was crazy!
I feel bad for bursting your bubble Pat, LOL

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
Nah, not at all Matt!

This is why I posted the question because I didn't believe it. I've only attempted to score 2 deer including this one so there's alot more knowledgeable people like yourself than me.

Offline REELTHING

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »
Thats a nice buck congrats (beers) .

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 05:44:49 PM »
I would not have passed that buck in NY--nice one!

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:59 PM »
Yeah I'd be an idiot to not shoot it but at some point I'm gonna need to make those really hard calls if I want to get a P&Y scoring buck.

I'm just happy to have this kind of success off my small little property,  in 5 years have shot a bear,  decent 8, great 9 and a now a good 10 point along with a few does. When I bought the property I certainly saw the hunting possibilities and good building lot for a house. As time goes on I feel so blessed to have the dream come to reality!

Offline ruck

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 07:44:53 PM »
Tippin' don't make those "hard calls." That's hunting show stuff. I made that mistake a few times. One year in particular, about 15 years ago, I had a real monster in my sights. It was a heck of a season for big deer in my one spot, neighboring properties had completely shut down hunting for several years prior, and the local bucks were able to get some age on them. I passed on several bucks that would score between 120" and probably 150", waiting for the "one. "  He showed himself a few times, but never in reasonable range, and I ended up with nothing. Life's too short, shoot any mature buck you see!!

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 09:10:31 PM »
Scores a little off. But just enjoy your great buck. Inches /score should not matter!

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 09:11:28 PM »
Tippin' don't make those "hard calls." That's hunting show stuff. I made that mistake a few times. One year in particular, about 15 years ago, I had a real monster in my sights. It was a heck of a season for big deer in my one spot, neighboring properties had completely shut down hunting for several years prior, and the local bucks were able to get some age on them. I passed on several bucks that would score between 120" and probably 150", waiting for the "one. "  He showed himself a few times, but never in reasonable range, and I ended up with nothing. Life's too short, shoot any mature buck you see!!

Yeah I know,  my biggest goal is to shoot 3.5 year old or better deer. If I knew there was a 130+ class deer in area it would have been a harder decision.  I have a big wide 8 but its brows are tiny probably score about same as this one. He is on the hit list for rifle season now.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 09:13:46 PM »
Side view

What you guys think he scores and age?

Offline ruck

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 09:24:29 PM »
You shot the better buck for sure. I'm no expert, but this one is probably 3 1/2 and under 110" I'd guess.

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 05:07:17 AM »
On your sheet I don’t see the mass measurements aka beam circumstances

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal