Author Topic: What’s the best food plot to plant?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Ted1021

What’s the best food plot to plant?
« on: October 05, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
I’ve been wanting to plant some food plots for years but never got around to it until this fall. I planted about a 1/3 acre of Whitetail Institute No Plow in early September and it came up decent. But now I’m thinking ahead for next year. I’m going to clear another plot and make sure to get it planted in the spring/early summer. I’ve got an ATV and some small implements (disc, plow, Etc.) so it doesn’t have to be a no plow product. I’ll probably clear about an acre for the new plot. I’ve read lots of good reviews of Whitetail Institutes Imperial Clover. What do you guys plant or what have you had luck with in the past?

Offline ruck

Re: What’s the best food plot to plant?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:31:49 PM »
Pumpkins, sunflower, beans, clover. No need to pay a premium for seed marketed to hunters.

Offline Overland

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 11:12:15 PM »
The most we can give you is an idea. It depends on your soil. When it comes to understanding soil and relating it to food plots, Grandpa Ray is the authority. Mail them a sample of your soil and tell them where you live. They will be able to set you on the right path, likely far better than any of us can. https://www.grandparayoutdoors.com/

Offline Ted1021

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:47:14 PM »
Thanks ill check them out!

Online greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 05:11:57 AM »
On our property in tioga county I put some yellow clover in about 6 weeks ago and it cannot grow because they are eating it faster than it will grow I also did a throw and grow next to my yard it did better second year

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 07:52:56 AM »
Soil tests come 1st.  Waypoint in Pa is the lab I use( over 300 samples a year). Don't know good or bad about Grandpa but have been using Waypoint for 20 + years.  Find info on line to send tests or drop them off at any Nutrien Ag Solutions location ( Crop Production Service prior). Nutrien also has a full line of seed-fertilizer-lime and does custom spreading on big jobs and they are local.  If the deer are eating the plot prior to establishment a single electric fence wire with a car battery with a solar charger will do wonders on a small area.  Plots are fun and a great way to help wildlife in your area.

Offline Camp Cook

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 07:42:00 PM »
I’m a fan of rye after the silage corn gets cut.  It grows easy, cheap and the deer like it!  If I was starting one in the spring, I would do buckwheat in the spring, mow it, spray it,  disk it in and plant rye and red clover last week in August

I have 12 acres of rye/vetch and two acres of standing corn on my farm.  It’s great to see all types of wildlife using it.

Good luck!   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal