Hunting- In The New York Area > New York Big Game Hunting

Live from the stand

<< < (20/20)

DXT:

--- Quote from: GrizG on November 24, 2022, 12:08:53 PM ---The trend continues... I've seen nothing but yearling bucks so far this year!  Happened again this morning... I haven't seen a doe or fawn or a legal buck!

--- End quote ---
The bigger bucks won’t let those yearlings near their does, they wander around searching for rogue does, it’s been happening in my areas for several years, if you can find the does the bigger bucks should be lurking nearby. But it’s not that easy, lol. Keep at it Griz, you’ll find em.

GrizG:

--- Quote from: DXT on November 24, 2022, 03:56:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: GrizG on November 24, 2022, 12:08:53 PM ---The trend continues... I've seen nothing but yearling bucks so far this year!  Happened again this morning... I haven't seen a doe or fawn or a legal buck!

--- End quote ---
The bigger bucks won’t let those yearlings near their does, they wander around searching for rogue does, it’s been happening in my areas for several years, if you can find the does the bigger bucks should be lurking nearby. But it’s not that easy, lol. Keep at it Griz, you’ll find em.

--- End quote ---
I'm going to keep at it... worst case I'll find one around Christmas with my flintlock... all I've been hunting with this year.

Part of the back story is that the huntable deer are on the surrounding unhuntable properties. Development and posting issues have given them safe haven... I recall years where on opening day a steady stream of deer would come out of the "big woods" and go into the unhuntable "little woods" behind my parents' house. They took a path through and out of the big woods that was close to houses making them unshootable.

One time my hunting buddy and I took a walk in the little woods mid-day opening day while taking a lunch break. It was like the Catskill Game Farm... there were deer all over the place! They barely moved out of our way to watch us as we walked through. I'm talking about deer standing 10 feet away from us... ! My buddy started running around barking like a dog and the deer simply stepped back and watched him. It was funny and sad at the same time... they KNEW they were safe there!😉 

DXT:

--- Quote from: GrizG on November 24, 2022, 07:04:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: DXT on November 24, 2022, 03:56:11 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I'm going to keep at it... worst case I'll find one around Christmas with my flintlock... all I've been hunting with this year.

Part of the back story is that the huntable deer are on the surrounding unhuntable properties. Development and posting issues have given them safe haven... I recall years where on opening day a steady stream of deer would come out of the "big woods" and go into the unhuntable "little woods" behind my parents' house. They took a path through and out of the big woods that was close to houses making them unshootable.

One time my hunting buddy and I took a walk in the little woods mid-day opening day while taking a lunch break. It was like the Catskill Game Farm... there were deer all over the place! They barely moved out of our way to watch us as we walked through. I'm talking about deer standing 10 feet away from us... ! My buddy started running around barking like a dog and the deer simply stepped back and watched him. It was funny and sad at the same time... they KNEW they were safe there!😉

--- End quote ---
I agree, the deer hunting has changed in a few of my spots, and I also think the deer have evolved….they have adapted to areas that are non hunting areas, and they hardly ever leave those areas now. They sure do know how to survive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version