Author Topic: crossbow during all bow season  (Read 3123 times)

Offline coyotekiller

crossbow during all bow season
« on: October 13, 2021, 06:09:54 AM »
I spoke to Brian Miller our member of 101st district assembly. It was about the crossbow being left out again during bow season. He told me to let everyone who crossbow hunts to email there legislators in there districts. So we are not left out again next year. We need to be heard. Remember there our woods also. LET MAKE SOME NOISE. WE HAVE A RIGHT TO HUNT ALSO.

Offline LouieM

Re: crossbow during all bow season
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 06:57:37 AM »
I support this measure as well and found the email - millerb@nyassembly.gov      I support it because 4 years ago when I first hunted, I got proficient with a crossbow (with an all in price of well under $400) and was able to harvest my first buck.  Now I am hooked and use a compound but I will never forget how beneficial crossbows are for beginners.  And not to mention people who are injured or older who can no longer pull a bow back.    To me, a crossbow only has a slight advantage over a compound, if any at all.  How easy it is to be accurate you are giving up some benefits of a compound.  Its time to be like other states (PA) and allow it all season.     

Allowing them is not going to increase the hunters in Oct by that much.  Just like the sept season wasn't a big deal.  It brings out the diehards imo.  Most people are not hunting Oct anyway so why not allow the folks who really want to hunt with a crossbow get out there?  And the answer is:  cause money talks

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »
Crossbow is no different than a compound, Id argue that. Toughest part of bowhunting is drawing bow when deer is in range and not be detected. Dont have to do that with crossbow. One reason of many. Money talks what money would that be?

Offline Overland

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 03:02:49 PM »
Crossbow is no different than a compound, Id argue that. Toughest part of bowhunting is drawing bow when deer is in range and not be detected. Dont have to do that with crossbow. One reason of many. Money talks what money would that be?

Agreed. And the other tough part of compound is practice, practice, practice. With a crossbow, just sight in the scope and you're good to go, even at ranges two, three, or four times as far as a compound. I'm strongly against the inclusion of crossbows during bow season other than for those with disabilities. For those who argue there is no advantage, then go ahead and just use a compound.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 06:09:03 AM »
Im open to both sides of the argument.  i had a opportunity to try a crossbow last season and missed a decent buck at about 45 yards shot right over him.. its in a sense easier then a bow because of the fact u dont have that movement of pulling back but you still need to practice judging your distance. On the other hand we need to do more to get young kids in the woods and im all for that.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 07:53:34 AM »
True on getting more kids in the woods. But everything the DEC has tried to increase #s has failed. Saturday opening day, youth hunts, lowering age. And they take very little imput from sportsman when it comes to hunting fishing and trapping. And early rifle season in areas that were devastated by EHD last year. Another great idea.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 08:45:50 AM »

The money talks part is because Ive heard that the bowhunter lobbys in NY are strong and we know money sways politicians.  I tried to fact check if that is true but not an easy thing to google.  So that take with a grain of salt. 

I prefer the compound personally even with the option of the crossbow.  But I find them about even because I hunt from the ground mostly, I put on a lot of miles and the compound is much lighter and easier to carry.  Also, I never even considered what I would do if I needed to get a second shot off with a xbow from a stand. 

Although it is much easier to get proficient with a crossbow, I would still not recommend shooting 40-50yds+ from a tree. Those shots are reserved for target practice and the range.  I would limit my shots to 40yds and below personally since I am in the hardwoods mostly. So with the range being similar from Compound to xbow if you practice, why are we trying to make it harder for people to get proficient? We should be encouraging people to get out there, practice and make smart shots. 

I'm newer to hunting and did not grow up with it and I can't help but notice that hunting more so than other topics, people have a hard time letting go of tradition. That is mostly good but sometimes bad. In this case allowing crossbow is part of keeping the sport alive.  We should be promoting getting more people into the woods, not limiting it.

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 12:50:48 PM »
The money part is right but look at insurance companies as the one's that control the politicans. Don't believe bow lobby you speak of is terribly well funded. But don't know for sure. Would like to see reaction of hunters if it went back to one buck a year. Most probably wouldn't think that was fair.

Offline ruck

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 03:12:37 PM »
 You are not being "left out" of archery season, in the same way a motorcyclist isn't being "left out" of a bicycle race, or a rifle hunter isn't being "left out" of archery season. It's not rifle season, it's not crossbow season, it's ARCHERY season. To argue in any sense that firing a crossbow is archery, is just absurd.
 Acting all entitled, and expecting the DEC to cave to your demands, is exactly the same behavior as these men, who claim they are women, and then want to compete against women in sports. It's pathetic actually.

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 06:18:35 PM »
And to point above , how many guys hunt with crossbow during gun season. Not many I'd bet.

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 09:01:46 PM »
Ok so I am all in! Bow hunting when I was younger was recurve bows and long bows . Then went to compound bows and now we have good cross bows. Many of us hunting and blue colors guys are shot ! Pulling back a bow is tough shoulder surgery etc . Love hunting and being out there! Let’s open up more opritunity for all hunters !

Offline Chris1389

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 09:52:45 PM »
It might as well be legal during bow season. So many hardcore bow hunters are worried but they clearly never shot or know anything about a NY legal crossbow

Offline coyotekiller

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 04:45:52 AM »
All you bow hunters say practice practice practice. I have been bow hunting since 1978. But lets be honest here if it was NOT FOR DEER SEARCH. There would be many deer and bear not recovered because of poor shot placement. you dont see anyone crying because of inline muzzleloaders. why not say flintlock only. why very few would hunt muzzleloader. lts share the woods it belongs to us all. weapon should be matter of choice.

Offline coyotekiller

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 04:59:09 AM »
They talk about advantages of scopes on crossbows. lets look back. In 1978 when i started bow hunting i shot a browning safari no drop away rest or whisker biscuit to hold my arrow from falling off it was a flipper rest' no fiber optic site with light on side to illuminate it was brass pins with colored paint no release it was fingers back then. no 90 percent letoff it was 50. look how much it changed but thats ok it fits your criteria. lets share the woods its not that hard

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 07:55:31 AM »
So lets open deer season Oct 1 to Dec 31 weapon of choice. Makes perfect sense then  no one feels left out. Then everyone will be happy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal