Author Topic: Is this regular season as slow as it seems to me?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline ole bleu

Re: Is this regular season as slow as it seems to me?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2022, 12:29:24 PM »
Saw three bucks on one doe this morning on my way to work

Offline GrizG

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2022, 01:20:57 PM »
Saw three bucks on one doe this morning on my way to work
If I used my vehicle for a projectile I could have filled all my tags in a day or two in the residential neighborhoods between my house and my parents' house... ;)
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline RageThruTheCage24

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2022, 03:22:39 PM »
3H for me. Its been a slow season for mature bucks. Ive hunted a doe Bedding area pretty hard and have only seen some small 4s some spikes and a tall 7 unusual for the area. Cameras even quiet. Last Saturday P.M sitting on stand I counted 9 does with in 40 yards. Not one buck showed the herd eventually headed for there prime P.M food source and that was that

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2022, 10:55:13 AM »
Where were the deer this morning?  I saw bunches (3 to 8 ) feeding in peoples yards--- Why?  Because a mouth full of green grass fills their stomachs a lot faster than 0 acorn's in the oaks.  Most mast has been cleaned up already and I see very little evidence of much food in the woods.  And in my opinion if the winter doesn't stay open (snow wise) what we have left for deer will have tough going come late spring if they last that long.  Seeing and hearing lots of K-9's-- probably why the deer are so bunched up.

Offline GrizG

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 11:06:09 AM »
Where were the deer this morning?  I saw bunches (3 to 8) feeding in peoples yards--- Why?  Because a mouth full of green grass fills their stomachs a lot faster than 0 acorn's in the oaks.  Most mast has been cleaned up already and I see very little evidence of much food in the woods.  And in my opinion if the winter doesn't stay open (snow wise) what we have left for deer will have tough going come late spring if they last that long.  Seeing and hearing lots of K-9's-- probably why the deer are so bunched up.
While the mast crop has been pretty well eaten or stored where I hunt, I see a lot more browse than in years past. The EHD thinned the herd to the point where the habitat is recovering... lots more low buds and saplings now. Failing that, there is nearby the ornamental landscaping... the yews at my parents have buck rubs on them and lots of low growth this year... most years the deer eat the green off as high as they can reach while standing on their rear legs!

NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA

Offline GrizG

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2022, 01:23:55 AM »
This guy isn’t doing any better.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRVRv3sM/
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA

Offline bowarrow

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »
YEAH, THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE DEER, ITS THE LACK OF HUNTERS. IT GETS WORSE EACH YEAR. HAS TO BE THESE NEW GUN LAWS. GET RID OF THE ASSAULT RIFLES COMPLETELY..

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2022, 02:05:14 PM »
Do you know what an assault rifle is it is described by the federal government as a fully automatic weapon if you give them an inch they will take everything the next gun to be called an assault rifle will be a single shot 20 guage

Offline logic

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2022, 07:46:37 PM »
YEAH, THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE DEER, ITS THE LACK OF HUNTERS. IT GETS WORSE EACH YEAR. HAS TO BE THESE NEW GUN LAWS. GET RID OF THE ASSAULT RIFLES COMPLETELY..  Is this a joke? What does a rifle have to do with lack of deer?

Offline RageThruTheCage24

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2022, 08:03:47 PM »
 :o Im confused now.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2022, 09:07:50 AM »
slow year buck wise in 3k, definitely less shots than last opening day. No buck for me but not from lack of trying. 3m where I bow hunt deer numbers still way down.  I dream of 2018-2019 when I hunt that 3m chunk.     I do not have any trail cams up but get a decent amount of time in the field so my findings are just what I see with my eyes and via sign.  It was really warm during my 2 weeks of rut hunting.  Same as last two years.  I did get a buck last year and a real nice one 2020 during gun.  But man that heat during first week of November was a bummer. 

We saw very little bear sign this year.  Granted my bear spot 3 bears have been taken in 2020-21 but still, not nearly as much bear sign as past seasons.  I have only been after them a few years so I cannot say for sure what the deal was.  Maybe the low mast crap?  Maybe the early season knocking down the numbers in Sullivan county enough?  We covered a lot of ground in the last 3 months to only see a handful of scat.  Either way already looking forward to next September.   

Everyday in the woods is a learning lesson and man I learned a lot this year.  Good luck to anyone still at it.   (beers)   

now its time to hang more with the fam  (santa)

Offline GrizG

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2022, 10:09:14 AM »
now its time to hang more with the fam  (santa)
Me... I'm going to continue going out with the flintlock. Hoping the change in the weather will have an affect on the deer, and the trespassing dog walkers and 4-wheelers.
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA

Offline Rickhem

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2022, 10:36:53 AM »
Went out yesterday afternoon for one last try with the rifle.  About 3-4" of snow on the ground at that time, and it was fairly calm with the wind.  The woods were really quiet except for every step I took having the sound of the wet snow compacting under my boots.  Amazing how loud that can be when the wet snow is muffling every other sound.  Saw a few tails from deer that saw or heard me first.  I did get to a ridge where I could see down the edge of a field to where the snowmobile trail crosses a bridge, and there were three on the other side of that treeline about 150 yards out.  All does, and with my scope being loaded up with the still falling snow, even looking those over wasn't easy.  I've only seen two spikes while hunting, and one decent rack way down the bottom of the field, about 300 yards behind the house in early November during bow season.
It's on to muzzleloader now, and I'm telling myself that I won't hold off for antlers anymore.  We'll see.

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2022, 04:54:39 PM »
Hit the state forest by my house today saw more deer tracks on fresh snow than I saw all season on our farm

Offline GrizG

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2022, 05:04:26 PM »
Hit the state forest by my house today saw more deer tracks on fresh snow than I saw all season on our farm
Sound familiar... I saw more deer tracks in my city yard, and my parents' suburban yard, today than I saw in the woods the entire rifle season!
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal