Author Topic: No hunting today... too windy.  (Read 384 times)

Offline GrizG

No hunting today... too windy.
« on: November 20, 2022, 01:19:12 PM »
There are so many dead ash, dead hemlock, dead pine and dead cedar where I hunt that I stay out of the woods on windy days. There are 10s of thousands of branches down and hundreds, more likely 1,000s of fallen and leaning trees... In the past I walked there on breezy days and and saw dead ash snap off mid trunk and saw the tops break off others. Things are way more rotten now so the risk of being hit by trees or tree parts is significant... I'm staying out of there! Anyone else face this issue?

Strange day yesterday... I saw three yearling bucks and that was it. Not a single doe or fawn! One of the bucks was working his scrape line. It was questionable whether it was a legal buck... a legit 4 point with "maybe" another point on one side... not sure if it was an inch so my flintlock remained clean.  It looks like the local herd has a way to go in its recovery from EHD.
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
Re: No hunting today... too windy.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »
Watch your top knot pilgrim. !!  :-)
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: No hunting today... too windy.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 07:12:09 AM »
your right griz itt was crazy wind and pretty scary  Sunday everytime my daughter and I would  sit down  I would check for close by dead trees first.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal