Author Topic: Avid Hunter asking for tips on how to gain access to private land  (Read 691 times)

Offline Austinbailey975

As we all know public land is becoming more and more rare and becoming more populated by hunters wich is a good thing love to see more people out in the woods but do any old timers have any tips on gaining access to private property

Offline GrizG

Re: Avid Hunter asking for tips on how to gain access to private land
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 09:51:18 PM »
This year this is an even more important issue due to the changes in the gun related laws that are, as of this writing, in force. You need explicit permission from each property owner where you wish to carry a gun... failure to have such permission can result in felony charges. Be advised that various courts have suspended enforcement of parts of the new laws at times but the most recent court action that I am aware of allows the laws to be enforced.  It's a mess so don't take chances... ask!

DEC advisory that is still valid based on the latest court action:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/gunlawqanda2022.pdf

Last court action:

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2022/11/federal-appeals-court-blocks-syracuse-based-judges-latest-ruling-that-struck-down-ny-gun-law.html

Me personally, when I reached out to the owners of record for the property I've hunted for decades I got a surprise.  I found out that years ago a guy who claimed to own the property, and gave me permission to hunt there, was actually stealing large oak trees from the property! Recently, I spoke to the actual owner (now aged 82) and his daughter (who lives upstate) to make sure it was okay for me to continue hunting their property. It's been in their family since the 1950s but they haven't set foot on it in decades... I mentioned the logging and being granted permission by "the owner" to hunt there. The actual owner and his daughter had no knowledge of logging on their property! It all worked out in the end for me to keep hunting there but that was a rude awakening! I also found out that I'm the only one to secure permission (for my party of 4) so in theory there legally should be no other gun hunters on the property...

Today's press release by DEC suggests to me that they may be looking for people lacking explicit permission. Emphasis added in the press release below:

DEC Announces 'Operation Safe Harvest' Enforcement Initiative During Big Game Hunting Season
ECOs to Patrol Southern Zone to Ensure Hunters Follow Hunting Laws and Safety Guidelines

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos today announced Environmental Conservation Police Officers (ECOs) are advancing 'Operation Safe Harvest' this big game hunting season as part of a statewide initiative to ensure all hunters are following the State's hunting laws and safety guidelines while afield. ECOs will be patrolling and conducting a variety of field operations to help ensure a safe and enjoyable big game hunting season.

"New York is fortunate to have a large population of hunters and trappers who abide by the State's hunting laws and respect their fellow hunters and others enjoying the outdoors," Commissioner Seggos said. "DEC's ECOs will be out in force this season to ensure compliance, engage with new and experienced hunters, and continue their important work promoting public safety in our communities and protecting our natural resources."

DEC's Director of the Division of Law Enforcement Karen Przyklek said, "Many of our ECOs are avid hunters themselves and participate in New York's cherished big game hunting seasons. Unfortunately, not everyone respects the laws and safety guidelines that come with this storied tradition. In response, I've directed my Officers to be on the lookout this season for the night hunters, poachers, and baiters who blatantly disregard the State's stringent hunting laws."

This statewide enforcement initiative began on Oct. 22 when the regular deer and bear season opened in the Northern Zone. So far, ECOs have written nearly 150 tickets, including 50 misdemeanor level charges. The upcoming regular firearms season for deer and bear in the Southern Zone, which draws hundreds of thousands of hunters to New York each year, gets underway on Nov. 19.

In addition to statewide enforcement, Officers educate hunters on New York's hunting laws and safety guidelines, both in the field and as instructors for the New York State Hunter Education Program. New York State continues to prioritize hunter safety year-round and the 2021 hunting seasons in New York were the safest ever, with the lowest number of incidents since record-keeping began.

DEC Law Enforcement is also reminding hunters they are key partners in protecting New York deer from Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). Chronic Wasting Disease continues to spread in other states, and hunters are key to preventing CWD introduction to New York. CWD is always fatal to deer. If introduced, it could spread rapidly and be practically impossible to eliminate once established. Hunters can help protect New York's deer herd from CWD by following these tips:

If hunting any type of deer, elk, moose, or caribou outside of New York, it must be deboned before bringing it back. See CWD Regulations for Hunters. DEC will confiscate and destroy illegally imported carcasses and parts, including whole deer and deer heads;
    Do not use deer urine-based lures or attractant scents, as these could contain infectious material;
    Dispose of carcass waste in a landfill, not just on the landscape;
    Report any deer that appears sick or is acting abnormally; and
    Hunt only wild deer and support fair chase hunting principles.

The regular firearms season for deer and bear in the Southern Zone runs through Sunday, Dec. 11, and includes participation from approximately 85 percent of New York's 550,000 licensed hunters. For a breakdown of New York's hunting seasons visit DEC's website.

NOTE: Video on Operation Safe Harvest and CWD can be found on DEC's YouTube page.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/press.html

NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline Austinbailey975

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 04:07:46 AM »
Wow thank you there was a lot of important information in there things are becoming more strict wich in certain ways is good and harder in other aspects hoping for the best for the future hunting in my and the future of our state thank you for the response and the info have a safe hunting seoson

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 05:55:35 PM »
If you can't find public land in NY you are not looking very hard (the DEC says that there is around 4.5 million acres of state owned land in NY).  Most of the public land is forever wild so becoming rare is just not the case.  As far as being crowed I seldom ever run into other hunters and when I do I just give them a nod and move on.  Most new hunters hug the roads so if your looking for less hunters hike a 1/2 mile off the road on state land (I suggest walking uphill so if you are successful your drag will be downhill) learn a part of the woods you have never hunted.  Take your lunch, some water and a day pack with some extra clothes, socks, and some basic safety tools and find out what land this state has.  Bring a topo map and a compass.  In my opinion this is not a very good time of year to start knocking on doors looking for access to private land--should have been working on that project last summer.

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 06:51:18 PM »
 +1

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 04:17:29 AM »
I agree great advice lots of state land to hunt. Good luck everyone.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal