Author Topic: crossbow during all bow season  (Read 2970 times)

Offline LouieM

Re: crossbow during all bow season
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 10:22:21 AM »
Acting all entitled, and expecting the DEC to cave to your demands, is exactly the same behavior as these men, who claim they are women, and then want to compete against women in sports. It's pathetic actually.

Actually what is pathetic is you trying to put a fellow hunter down because he wants to use a crossbow in Oct.     We all have oooo we wish the DEC would do.  Hell I think the DEC should have took a closer look at the DMPs for 3m and 3J this year, does that me entitled too?   

Offline Yotehntr

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 12:49:05 PM »
 there’s Really not a tremendous difference in lethality of a crossbow over a compound, as long as you get relatively competent at archery. They’re still a close range weapon, that’s reliant on good shot placement, and that can easily have a shot deflected by brush. plus you’re giving up your ability to make a second shot, whereas a quiet bow, you can often take another one. Then, you have the awkwardness of carrying..

Offline ruck

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 02:27:41 PM »
So lets open deer season Oct 1 to Dec 31 weapon of choice. Makes perfect sense then  no one feels left out. Then everyone will be happy.

Cave to those who, in their tiny brains, feel discriminated against. I guess it's the Democrat way, and this is NY, so.... 

Offline coyotekiller

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »
I guess some on here are very narrow minded in there believes. why do they call it a crossbow? That is easy here is why. longbow recurvebow compoundbow crossbow all shoot a shaft with a broad head in front and vanes or feathers on the rear using limbs and strings to propel it.

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 06:58:33 PM »
Was sarcastic Ruck. But i'm sure there are plenty that would agree with it. Simple fact NY requires you to buy a muzzeloader  stamp to hunt with crossbow. Why wouldn't it be under archery tag if it was archery equipment? And if answer is to sell more tags, then why not make people buy a cross bow tag. Legit question.

Offline SHForestry

• NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • South Side Rod & Gun Club
    • Sheldon Hill Forestry Supplies Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 07:13:07 PM »
Let’s keep it cordial men. No need for name calling. Opinions are important for both sides but name calling is off limits here. Both have valid points so let the readers decide…..without the mud slinging. Moderator
http://shop.shforestrysupplies.com/                Forestry-Logging-Safety Equipment

Offline ruck

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2021, 01:11:23 PM »
I guess some on here are very narrow minded in there believes. why do they call it a crossbow? That is easy here is why. longbow recurvebow compoundbow crossbow all shoot a shaft with a broad head in front and vanes or feathers on the rear using limbs and strings to propel it.

A motorcycle rides on two wheels, you sit on top of it, it has handlebars, a seat, and the rear wheel is powered by a belt or chain. Therefore it is a bicycle, and should be allowed in bicycle races. It sounds silly, but that is the exact logic you are attempting to use.
 A crossbow is different than a bow, the way you load the power, the way you hold and aim it, that you can fire it with almost zero movement, all very different than archery.
 I am not anti crossbow, it absolutely should be permitted, during gun and muzzleloader season, because it is fired in the exact same manner as those two.
 I'm curious, these guns that fire arrows, using a gunpowder charge, is that archery too? I'm being serious here, because I've heard people claim it is archery too.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »

A motorcycle rides on two wheels, you sit on top of it, it has handlebars, a seat, and the rear wheel is powered by a belt or chain. Therefore it is a bicycle, and should be allowed in bicycle races. It sounds silly, but that is the exact logic you are attempting to use.
 A crossbow is different than a bow, the way you load the power, the way you hold and aim it, that you can fire it with almost zero movement, all very different than archery.
 I am not anti crossbow, it absolutely should be permitted, during gun and muzzleloader season, because it is fired in the exact same manner as those two.
 I'm curious, these guns that fire arrows, using a gunpowder charge, is that archery too? I'm being serious here, because I've heard people claim it is archery too.
Good point Ruck!

Offline Laundron

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2021, 06:11:58 PM »
Was sarcastic Ruck. But i'm sure there are plenty that would agree with it. Simple fact NY requires you to buy a muzzeloader  stamp to hunt with crossbow. Why wouldn't it be under archery tag if it was archery equipment? And if answer is to sell more tags, then why not make people buy a cross bow tag. Legit question.
This is a really good point. What is the actual answer to this?

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2021, 06:59:46 PM »
Sadly Ruck gun you speak of will be next. Sad but true.

Offline coyotekiller

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 03:47:13 AM »
The last time I rode a bike I  peddled it. It did not have a gas engine. Big difference.

Offline ruck

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »
The last time I shot a bow I held it at arms length, drew it back, anchored against my jaw, aimed, and released. I did not load it before getting on stand. I did not rest it on my treestand rail, put the stock against my shoulder, release the trigger safety, aim through a variable power scope, and fire, all with almost zero movement. The last time I did those things was when I hunted with a GUN!
 This could go on forever, we disagree. You want to let kids under 18 use the crossbow during archery season, to spark an interest in hunting, fine. But after that use archery equipment to hunt during archery season, and I won't fish in fly fishing only streams with my spinning reel.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »
The last time I shot a bow I held it at arms length, drew it back, anchored against my jaw, aimed, and released. I did not load it before getting on stand. I did not rest it on my treestand rail, put the stock against my shoulder, release the trigger safety, aim through a variable power scope, and fire, all with almost zero movement. The last time I did those things was when I hunted with a GUN!
 This could go on forever, we disagree. You want to let kids under 18 use the crossbow during archery season, to spark an interest in hunting, fine. But after that use archery equipment to hunt during archery season, and I won't fish in fly fishing only streams with my spinning reel.
gotta say, I think this pretty much sums it up. Well said! And PS for the guys who said I can’t pull a bow back anymore…. NYS for many years allows crossbow for hunters who apply, and get medical documentation. Been that way a long time.

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2021, 07:23:13 PM »
Traditional bow hunters probably said the same thing when the 1st Fred  bear compound came out , knock an arrow, hold with your fingers until ready to release, then aim and release.

Not clip the release, look through the peep, make sure your arrow is sitting in the whisker biscuit or fall away rest.   Come on guys we’re all doing the same god damn thing…. Argument after argument, debate after debate, at the end of the day we are a slowly but surely declining sport and need to find a way to come together and find a happy medium.  Just my two cents.
Oh Yeah !

Offline Camp Cook

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2021, 08:00:42 PM »
It’s debates like this that keeps reducing hunter numbers.   We need more hunters not less.   The crossbow is a great choice to get young hunters and first time hunters in the woods during the warmer weather.   A dead deer is a dead deer regardless of the weapon used.   Manage tags given out, not weapons used.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal