Fishing- In The New York Area > Hudson River Striper Fishing

Good news from DEC

(1/1)

Ziffystriperchum:
This from Jessica @ DEC . . . . . .

Good afternoon,

I am forwarding this press release from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. The Striped Bass Management Board reviewed the results of the stock assessment update which said that the resource is no longer experiencing overfishing but remains overfished. With the current mortality rates, there is a 78.6% chance that the stock will be rebuilt by 2029 and so no reduction in catch is necessary at this time.

The levels will be closely monitored to make sure that that the stock is rebuilding and the next assessment update is in 2024.

Thank you to everyone for your support and help with management and conservation of striped bass in the Hudson! I will continue updating everyone as I become aware of news and issues.

If you haven’t already, please return your 2022 angler logbook.

Thanks,

Jessica

Jessica Best

Fisheries Biologist, Hudson River Estuary Program/Cornell University

Division of Marine Resources

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

21 S. Putt Corners Rd., New Paltz, NY 12561

P: (845) 256-3009 | F: (845) 255-1701 | jessica.best@dec.ny.gov

ruck:
I've been fishing for stripers for 50 years, there are good years, and bad ones. The past 10 years fishing has been no different, maybe a little slower overall, but nothing alarming like years ago, when we had a real slump. If you ask me this time it's a manufactured crisis. Probably global warming's fault.

ole bleu:
Don’t rule out the pandemic 😂

Labman519:
Great. Now do something about the deer population

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version