Author Topic: It really pays to make and use your own lure creations!  (Read 874 times)

Offline senkoasm

It really pays to make and use your own lure creations!
« on: May 08, 2022, 09:40:35 AM »
I made lures for bass going back 30 yr. or more and caught hundreds casting them - mostly assembling spinnerbaits and skirted jigs as well as tying different types of jigs, flies, etc. Pouring soft plastic lures was a big change from using what was sold, relying on products from Creme, Mr Twister, Berkley, etc. But going a step further, modifying soft plastics has been rewarding not only as a way to spend time when not fishing to catching fish consistently on my creations.

The other thing about expanding your choice of lures is discovering what fish strike more often and putting a name to those lures such as cone tails, spike tails, mini-sticks, taper tails, knob tails, French Fry stick hybrids, etc. All are highly valued to catch most fish species in many waters.

I don't know how many NY anglers cast light jigs and plastics, but of all the lures used they catch the most fish and some of the largest. Because of that, fallacies fall by the waist side the more lure shapes and actions I catch fish with and thereby invalidate what lures should represent to fish as told to us for decades. The most important thing about lures is what they do action-wise and which ones excel at the slowest presentation possible.

The years of burning lures to cover as much water as possible is done. Covering water consists now of working areas slowly and then moving after 15 minutes if nothing strikes. I do cover a lot of water believe me but more effectively and for more fish species.

Recently I started pouring clear plastic soft plastics - no color/ no glitter. It blew me away to be able to catch so many fish on them in two lakes! Here are a few examples:

Each lure has a different action either due to shape, angler imparted or both.

Before making up your mind that only panfish can be caught on them, think again:

Another thing recently discovered was discovering that using a small part of a soft plastic lure can catch fish like crazy! The front end of certain plastic worm was used to catch 35 fish in less than 40 minutes:

A guy I fished with three days ago could not believe the 20 fish caught on 20 consecutive casts in an area where fish were stacked. We caught perch, crappie, bass and sunfish on it.

The rest of the worm did just as well (both of these caught the same day):

There are many more examples, but you get the idea. For shallow lakes less than 20' deep, these can't be beat.

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
Re: It really pays to make and use your own lure creations!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 10:20:21 AM »
That's awesome!

Offline senkoasm

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 09:58:39 PM »
Thanks.
Going out tomorrow with less wind than today. Hope the shallow water pattern holds.

Offline Ziffystriperchum

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • FishRockFish! . . .RockFishRock!
    • Striperchum.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 07:16:07 AM »
Great hobby! . . . Congrats on tour success!
"True Heaven can be found between the skin
and bones of a properly prepared Striped
Bass" . . .

Got Herring???

Offline senkoasm

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 08:23:36 AM »
I had no idea 40 years ago I would be making lures that do better than most lures I bought.

Offline Ziffystriperchum

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • FishRockFish! . . .RockFishRock!
    • Striperchum.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 06:06:50 PM »
 +1
"True Heaven can be found between the skin
and bones of a properly prepared Striped
Bass" . . .

Got Herring???

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal