Author Topic: New reservoir regs  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Steve_J

• Super Hero Member
New reservoir regs
« on: March 18, 2022, 08:18:55 AM »
Ashokan, Rondout and neversink will be open for trout year round now starting this April

Offline Mallon

Re: New reservoir regs
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 09:28:30 AM »
thats awesome news! wish they would have done the same with Pepacton, instead they shortened the season there for whatever reason. Its a step in the right direction though. Will be nice being able to target them in the winter months

Offline Chris1389

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 09:48:39 AM »
Is the boating season open all year? Or its saying you can target trout all year from shore.

Offline Mallon

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 10:02:13 AM »
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dep/downloads/pdf/recreation/reservoir-ice-and-boating-fact-sheet.pdf

this is DEP's current policy. This was published a couple years ago I believe. Not sure if they will revise it with these new regulations to include these reservoirs west of the Hudson.

Offline corn field killa

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 10:17:42 AM »
Funny someone mentioned Pepacton on this thread I could swear I saw a couple videos on Instagram of a guy targeting trout on that closed reservoir a couple days ago…word travels fast!
#instafamous #followtheregs
"Wishin I was fishin"
No man ever fishes the same river twice! For it is not the same river and he is not the same man...

Offline ole bleu

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 10:40:32 AM »
Hmm I’ve never caught any rainbows in rondout I’m wondering if that should say lake trout any idea

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 10:46:30 AM »
The old lake trout regulations in Rondout are still the same, only for browns (and the non-existent rainbows) has it been changed to all year. For the guys that fish Cannonsville, that is all year for trout now as well.

Pepacton season has been extended to October 15th.

Offline Lineman1

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 12:12:21 PM »
I’ve caught Rainbows in the Rondout. They do not stock them but they make their way in from tributaries. Mostly I believe from trout creek that comes off of yagerville rd. Here’s one I caught and released.

Offline Mallon

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 12:18:49 PM »
ahh Gino I misread that one. For some reason I though Pepacton used to be open till Nov 30th like the rondout. I see now, small extension of season.

I have heard of people catching rainbows in Rondout, but never seen one in the flesh. They would have to swim down out of Sundown creek or the other tributaries I guess.

Also I'm curious if this means the new limit is 5 trout in any combination of rainbows and browns, or if the limit is 5 of each.

Offline Gino_Alessandro

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 12:45:19 PM »
Wow that's an awesome rainbow! Somebody told me once they caught a 7lber near Trout Creek years ago but never believed them, maybe now I do lol.

The limit is any combination of browns and rainbows, not 5 each.

The upper Neversink is privately stocked with rainbows and some guys have caught them in the reservoir, DEC has even caught them in surveys there. Since water from Neversink is diverted down to Rondout anything that swims there could end up in Rondout, hence the occasional LLS that is caught in Rondout.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 02:03:45 PM »
thanks for the info steve thats good news for sure.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline ole bleu

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 02:47:51 PM »
Very nice bow I’ve caught some nice brook trout and lls never a bow wouldn’t be surprised though

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal