Author Topic: New striped bass draft Amendment 7 open for public comment Spawning Area Closure  (Read 1689 times)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
they must do the same thing on the atlantic coast. whats the difference killing a fish on spawning grounds or killing one before it gets there. 
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Ziffystriperchum

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • FishRockFish! . . .RockFishRock!
    • Striperchum.com

How much sense does it make to close the fishery during peak spawn and simultaneously run the DEC Striped Bass Cooperative Angler program which asks anglers to weigh, measure and document their striped bass catches each year???? This program  HAS TO result in some mortality of striped bass also!  . . . . I've been documenting for the DEC for years . . . weighing and measuring as quickly as is feasible . . .the fish swim off . . .but I don't know how many of the bigger fish actually make it in the end.  Anglers taking pictures then releasing fish outside the slot limit does not take any more time than documenting (probably less time)

They should discontinue that program if they feel there is mortality related to the recreational fishing of striped bass!

P.S. The public comment period lasts until April 15th and they will surely need time after that to make a decision . . . .which means we will have some time to fish in the beginning of the season (April 1st) at the very least least!

Tight lines everyone!!!!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"True Heaven can be found between the skin
and bones of a properly prepared Striped
Bass" . . .

Got Herring???

Offline ruck

they must do the same thing on the atlantic coast. whats the difference killing a fish on spawning grounds or killing one before it gets there.

I was going to say similar. With most fish they don't open the season until after the fish spawn, so the same should apply here, not just in the river, but everywhere along the east coast. The difficulty is getting all coastal states from the Carolina's to Maine to agree.

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
I've only made it to page 13 so far and lost track of how many times RECREATIONAL FISHERY has been referenced ..... these people are not sportfishing fans by any means and go out of their way to highlight the commercial fishing harvest reductions since 2003 ..... still have 120 pages to go so maybe it'll change
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
+1

Offline Yotehntr

People catch and kill 40 pound bass in the salt, like they’re catching sunfish. In the river, most of the cows are not even interested in feeding, if they are, the probability of a missed run or lip hook is very high. What is the point of enacting all these regulations, if they’re not going to give them time to work. I’m not a genius, but think it would take a bit more than a year to work..

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
The river has seen vastly improved fishing in size and qty of fish last few years. Slot has certainly increased number of 40"+ fish and thus the egg layden cows are getting released yo spawn. This is working .... they waited too long to fix Chesapeake Bay but we will be the ones punished not Maryland, Delaware and Virginia because they have governments that try to fight for sportsman rights but NYS liberals are first to give in. 🤬

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal