Hunting- In The New York Area > New York Big Game Hunting

Oh Deer Webinar

(1/2) > >>

GrizG:
I received an e-mail from Catskill Mtn Keeper that others may be interested in as follows...

Commonplace in many of our communities, large white-tailed deer populations can have extraordinary impacts on our natural landscape. In our upcoming “Oh Deer” webinar on February 16th at 7pm, Mountainkeeper is partnering with the Cary Institute and the Catskill Science Collaborative to take a look at how our region’s white-tailed deer population has changed in recent years, and consider what that means for our forests and ecosystems.

As we explore this complex subject, you’ll hear from ecologists Dr. Charles Canham of the Cary Institute and Dr. Lynn Christenson of Vassar College, and deer biologist Dr. Brendan Quirion of the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. This panel of experts will explain how white-tailed deer diets and ‘browsing’ behaviors impact forests and wildlife, share actions that landowners can take to promote healthy forest regeneration, and explore effective ways to manage deer populations in our region. The webinar will include a moderated Q&A session, so please come ready with your questions about white-tailed deer and how they impact our ecosystem.

The ‘Oh Deer’ webinar is free to attend, and will take place on February 16th from 7pm to 8pm. You must register in advance in order to participate.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oh-deer-how-deer-shape-forests-in-the-catskills-beyond-tickets-244043620037?aff=CMK

I know that the Cary Institute has done research into deer herd size and browse by using fenced off areas that deer could not enter. I've listened in on other Webinars that Mtn Keeper was part of and I found them to be very informative, science based, and apolitical.  This one should prove interesting.

grazan:
thanks for the info

grazan:
EXCEllent webinar ... even though there were obvious anti hunters in the audience who come across so stupid and ignorant and were put in their place by the speakers ......

GrizG:

--- Quote from: grazan on February 16, 2022, 08:04:04 PM ---EXCEllent webinar ... even though there were obvious anti hunters in the audience who come across so stupid and ignorant and were put in their place by the speakers ......

--- End quote ---
Yeah... I anticipated that. I also anticipated that most of the folks didn't understand habitat and carrying capacity. Excellent content!

highpeakshunter:
   +1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version