Author Topic: Why?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
Re: Why?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 10:57:05 PM »
It sounds like we are all experiencing the same things with this bird Ron.  What would make the same species have different reactions to people walking in Ulster(75+ yd flushes) vs. say St Lawrence County (10-30 yd average).  Or for that matter when you were younger growing up in rosendale as a teenager they flushed close enough for you to hunt them.  Could something in the ecosystem changed?  We all know that the R Grouse have cycles in their population that come from predator/prey ratios and when the nesting season is wet(ground nesters) their numbers lower.  Any one finding the same deal that DXT and Walkabout and Appleman are saying about the long flush habits of the local birds?

Online ole bleu

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 07:28:14 PM »
I have to say the ADKS had a great hatch this year they are all over the roads this winter haven’t had the chance to hunt them yet with the dog but flushed a bunch hunting for hares

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 08:53:43 PM »
don't want to spot burn wondering what county or area.  My old stomping grounds were in St Lawrence county N of the ADKs.  West Potsdam, Parishville, Norwood, Canton, Madrid.  old farmsteads, beaver flows, RR tracks and anywhere we could find an edge between covers--old logging roads.  Very easy to get access to property for small game.

Online ole bleu

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 09:12:30 PM »
John high peaks area pm me I’ll give u all the intel Essex county plenty of state land

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal