Author Topic: ban on trail camera's  (Read 2339 times)

Online GrizG

Re: ban on trail camera's
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 12:45:34 PM »
I don’t have a problem with technology. Some of the real remote mountain spots would be great to have a camera in. See what’s around and being a cell camera you don’t have to go in and stink things up just to check pictures. I am all for them and own 2 myself.

When I rode a bicycle through the Rockies/Cascades from CO to WA I went days at a time without cell service… from that I suspect that cell cameras wouldn’t be of much use in remote areas.  You’d need satellite based phone service… Not sure any game cams use the satellite networks… nor that I’d want to pay for the service!
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 03:08:04 PM »
Is it legal to set up and leave any camera on state land in NY?  Is it Conservation Law that sets the rules for that? No guessing or BS please--What is the law?

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 04:32:02 PM »
According to the DEC website, go to the regulations page and use West Law Next's website for Rules and regulations. According to west law site, General 190.8 (w) puts some doubt whether your allowed to place trail cameras on state lands without authorization. I don't use trail cameras so someone that has interest in using trail cameras should investigate this further. This was copied and pasted from west laws site.

Use of state lands general 6CRR-NY 190.8 (w)

(w) No person shall erect, construct, install, maintain, store, discard or abandon any structure or any other property on State lands or subsequently use such structure or property on State lands, except if the structure or property is authorized by the department or is:
(1) a geocache that is labeled with the owner’s name and address and installed in a manner that does not disturb the natural conditions of the site or injure a tree;
(2) a camping structure or equipment that is placed and used legally pursuant to this Part;
(3) a legally placed trap or appurtenance that is placed and used during trapping season;
(4) a tree stand or hunting blind that does not injure a tree, is properly marked or tagged with the owner’s name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season; or
(5) a wildlife viewing blind or stand that is placed for a duration not to exceed 30 days in one location per calendar year, does not injure a tree, and is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number.

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 11:39:36 PM »
Thanks for that ATS1755.  Looks like there may already be a law on the books for state land in NYS so the debate is not worth the energy(for NY).  I enjoy using cameras on my place to capture pics of game and as an extra benefit they keep me informed as to who else may be enjoying my place without me knowing.  What the heck is a geocache  ???     

Offline Rickhem

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2022, 07:55:43 AM »
What the heck is a geocache  ???   

https://geocaching.com

For a lot of people, it is a reason to go hiking or explore the outdoors.  You can take or leave a trinket after you've located one.  I've found a few by accident, and it could be a fun thing to do.

Offline JohnB

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2022, 04:13:47 PM »
If I come upon one on public land, either cellular or regular I just sit down and have lunch, take a leak, nap whatever. Go out of my way to walk past it on purpose to make it look like there is lots of traffic so the owner would not want to come back. Friends have set up camp right in front of cameras before for the same reason. I prefer to have a little fun with it rather than let it bother me. Most of the time it disappears pretty quickly after that. Imagine getting all excited you have pics and all you see is 400 pics of someone just puttering around in front of the camera.

My cameras are only on private.  Some cellular, some regular. You wouldn't believe how many people are just helping themselves to the back 40 even when posted thoroughly. The cellular ones haven't had any immediate benefit like some think. Mostly just verifies I was in the wrong spot again or that I pushed deer out on my way in. They have increased my hunting time and improved the age structure as I am more inclined to pass younger bucks if I have pics of an older one around. I can understand where an entire fleet of these used by guides for profit could be a fair chase concern but a few here and there for personal use I don't see as a problem.

Offline KillerCrow

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2022, 05:24:16 PM »
I thought hard about this one and realized it does not effect me even though I have three cell cams they are all on pvt land, and most if not all of the state and or dep I hunt does not have cell service. I think to each their own

P.S I love running camera's I run between 7-11of them  50% of the year, and  only harvested 3 or four deer that I have ever had on camera, I believe they are vital if you are trying to obtain larger game in your hunting areas but that's just my opinion, and we all know what they are   

Offline ole bleu

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2022, 06:33:23 PM »
Yes I run trail cams they are a great tool to use to see what’s in the area both traditional and a couple spy points this is the same argument of the x- bow do we want to advance or just complain about what others are using and no I don’t use a crossbow I’m still the guy that uses my bow rifle and muzzle loader but I’m not gonna look down on the person who uses a legal weapon or camera during the right seasons

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2022, 10:27:22 PM »
This may be a thread hijack but I think that its a good story so------we have a camera covering a stand on private property and I dropped a gun hunter off at this stand for an afternoon hunt.  After the hunt I told him to sit tight and I would pick him up with the UTV after shooting time.  When I picked him up I pulled the card on the camera and he said that he saw a few does and a spike.  After dinner I got on the computer to check the weeks pictures out and saw clearly when I dropped him at the stand. About an hour later there were 3 pictures of a decent 10 70 yards away from the stand and the camera was set on a 1 minute delay so that buck was in the zone for at least 3 minutes with good clear time stamped pics.  I called the hunter up and told him about the buck -- he thought that I was just busting on him so i told him that I would save that card for the evidence of the story.  When he saw it he admitted that he was on his cell phone for the first hour that he was in the stand not paying attention and also said that he would have taken that buck without thought seeing more than 3 on a side.  Win some--Tag soup some (hunt)

Offline gill1

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2022, 09:29:42 AM »
you guys are all cheaters! I use only a spear, follow big tracks, and only on public land.  To each their own.

Offline grazan

• "Failing to plan is planning to fail"
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2022, 10:35:42 AM »
I'm pro camera on the private land I hunt and some quasi public land .... i just put in 2 cell cameras last fall in remote areas that I can't always get back too ... didn't hunt either spots this year and both cameras died on 16 December ... different brands .. Conspiracy? CAN'T get back to both until spring to fix .... most of my game cameras are in the vicinity of a stand so besides keeping tabs on deer and bear I get to see who's interested in my stands ... here's a great game camera story how I got permission recently to an additional 65 acres bordering the 30 acre piece I was hunting ... I emailed the owner a game camera picture and video of a  motorcyclist driving on their field and I told them I'd post their property in exchange for BOW hunting permission .... they got back with me in 5 minutes and gave me permission ..... and told them if I'm not in there I'd probably have a game camera somewhere watching over their property .... they liked that
"FISHING IS A JERK ON ONE END OF  A LINE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER" Robert Hughes.. If you hunt or fish you should be a member of https://www.backcountryhunters.org, https://www.deerassociation.com/ AND https://www.nwtf.org/  & https://www.howlforwildlife.org/join?recruiter_id=23492

Online MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2022, 06:40:06 PM »
This
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline ole bleu

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2022, 07:04:31 PM »
Lmaof muskrat has had some good replies this  past couple weeks

Offline LouieM

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2022, 10:42:04 AM »
I want to mention any part of me that would not mind a ban on cell cams on public is not about cheating.  It is more about how recently I get to remote spots, with a little service and find a cell cam. Now there is cell service at the tops of these hills even 2 miles back.  Actually recently ran into a cell cam over looking a jar of peanut butter and a bunch of cut limbs with a climber.  Its like he owned the place.  Only so many people can do that on public before it gets too much.  I would not actively fight for this ban in NY but I also would not vote against it.

Quite literally almost can't take a sh*t in the woods without checking your baffles for a camera. (Need to look up too.  It make sense to bring a climbing stick with you to get the camera out of arm's reach.) Now I know they are not that prevalent but what about when the technology gets better and cheaper?

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 06:51:16 PM »
  I would not actively fight for this ban in NY but I also would not vote against it

ATS post says NY state land camera use is already banned---the law is on the books

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal