Author Topic: Holiday Hunting Season Happening This Year (2021)  (Read 1388 times)

Offline GooseCommander

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
Holiday Hunting Season Happening This Year (2021)
« on: December 07, 2021, 01:48:14 PM »
Received an email from the NYS DEC today stating the Holiday Hunting Season is happening this year. The proposed regulation to allow counties to opt out of it was never adopted so counties have no authority to prevent it from occurring (this year).

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html#deer

The topic is sure to stir controversy and not just amongst hunters but snowmobilers, cross country skiers and snowshoers (etc). It also will not be widely accepted even with hunters for some fearing big bucks having dropped their antlers being shot or additional pressure on areas ravaged by EHD. Like most things in life, use your best judgement for your situation and the deer herd's situation.

For me, I'll be taking out my son who has been looking forward to this season as he has had very little time to hunt due to chasing his dream up and down the east coast of playing hockey at the next level. If we get some snow, I might try to track a buck down as I've been sitting on the sidelines having tagged a bear and buck the first week of gun.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."  --Fred Bear

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Holiday Hunting Season Happening This Year (2021)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 03:18:07 PM »
NYS response to EHD…how dare those county’s…decimate the herd! Lol! But on a serious note, most sportsman know what their hunting area is producing and will make smart choices, as Goose said.

Ps, Goose, share those pics of your buck n bear, we all enjoy, thanks!

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 03:22:38 PM »
Have 4 doe tags for 3m. Had no intention of using any of them during season. Wont use during holiday season either. Hopefully hunters in other areas affected by EHD will do the right thing.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 06:44:13 PM »
Sullivan County was going to opt out and that is where I hunt.  I am looking forward to the additional days of hunting, even if it is just one additional hike with the smoke pole.  I already have next week off to get it done. I just bought a muzzleloader this past summer and have been practicing with it.  Happy I got it when I did because supplies are limited and took time to dial in the set up.   

As for the holiday hunt... it is sure to stir up more controversary than the actual amount of people who are going to hunt it.  Participation already is dwindling

Offline foresthawk

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 04:57:27 PM »
  For those who want to hunt, go hunt.
If you don't want to hunt, then don't, and don't try to stop those who do want to.

Offline Ziffystriperchum

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • FishRockFish! . . .RockFishRock!
    • Striperchum.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 04:05:58 PM »
For ALL the years I have lived in my home (now going on 32) I have seen deer in my backyard on a regular basis (some of which I posted here on NYS . . . but, I regret to say that I Haven't seen ANY in the past two months! . . . ZERO!
"True Heaven can be found between the skin
and bones of a properly prepared Striped
Bass" . . .

Got Herring???

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 05:38:35 PM »
Going to take a long long time for deer to recoup..
But -- DEC says " go get em boys , here's some extra tags and an extra season extension..."

They must know , their the professionals right ?
Sorry for the rant ...just don't get it ...

If your in an area that not been effected, than by all means hunt ...
All areas by me , have very few deer left ...
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 06:26:49 PM »
 +1

Offline gdk45

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »
One of the reasons I buy a muzzleloader tag is to have the opportunity to hunt with snow on the ground.  Not happening this year.  Not really trying to fill a tag just to get out in the woods.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 09:25:11 AM »
One of the reasons I buy a muzzleloader tag is to have the opportunity to hunt with snow on the ground.  Not happening this year.  Not really trying to fill a tag just to get out in the woods.

this was my first season with a muzzeloader, was really hoping for snow myself.  Still got out and hiked a bit.  Already dreaming of a colder, snowier dec next year

Offline retired

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 05:06:25 PM »
You have to agree it's nice not having to shovel or plow snow (santa)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 06:05:15 AM »
You have to agree it's nice not having to shovel or plow snow (santa)
You got that right.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal