Author Topic: Poor Jack  (Read 1849 times)

Online ole bleu

Re: Poor Jack
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 09:13:17 PM »
Both great dogs and jack stay away from those porks gotta be awful painful couldn’t even think how that feels

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 09:23:50 PM »
Jack is an awesome dog so sorry to hear this Ron. Wishing for a speedy recovery!

Offline 1shot1kill

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 05:34:25 AM »
Beautiful new dog, congratulations!  Hope Jack has a speedy recovery.

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 08:43:57 AM »
Looks like another car payment for the vet!  We had a shepherd-husky mix that paid for 1/3 of my old vets light bills for the year because of porks.  When you need them you need them--my old girl never learned as well.  The fishers have kept their numbers down but unfortunately i think fisher have a taste for turkey as well.  Hope Jack is better soon.

Offline GrizG

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 10:51:18 AM »
Geez... that's awful!  Hopefully that is the last time it happens to Jack!

Thankfully my bird dogs haven't had that experience. My Weimaraner did however have a tangle with a skunk one morning. Unbeknownst to us a skunk had gotten into the dog run over night and was inside the dog house. The dog got a face full... 

Me personally, I had the perfect COVID social distancing tool last year. A skunk got into a Havahart trap that I set for a woodchuck near my vegetable garden. I'd successfully released skunks before by covering the trap with a big towel... not that time. My hand and wrist got nailed... it took days for the odor to disappear.... people kept their distance.  ;) 
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline beo3

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 02:09:37 PM »
So sad to see Jack in that horrible state.

Good luck with the Cane, they're great dogs but they like to try and exude their dominance sometimes.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 05:55:23 AM »
Griz, hes been skunked twice also thats not fun either . He also got caught in a leg hold trap once to..lol  He is 11 now so im thinking other then when hes bird hunting his walks in the woods will be on a leash for now on.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Yotehntr

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 10:26:50 AM »
He’s in great shape for being eleven. Sucks he has to go through that

Offline GrizG

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2021, 10:58:12 AM »
Griz, hes been skunked twice also thats not fun either . He also got caught in a leg hold trap once to..lol  He is 11 now so im thinking other then when hes bird hunting his walks in the woods will be on a leash for now on.
Adventurers have mishaps... arm candy house dogs don't!  The leash sounds like a reasonable plan at this point...

My buddy hasn't had his English Setter off leash outside of the fenced yard, and hasn't taken it hunting, after its 9 day disappearing act. My buddy is working on more training and technology solutions. The dog did grab a squirrel in the backyard and he ate it in a few bites... that skill and the abundant water at Stewart is probably what sustained him for 9 days!  My setter has mellowed into an obedient and effective bird hunter over the years and has shown no interest in reptiles, deer, or other dogs... It's nice to have "the good dog" for a change.  ;)
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 05:58:23 AM »
Jack ran away once and he was found 4 miles from were he left us.. What i did after that was i put a 100' piece of rope on him as a leash and would take him to a huge field and let him run around dragging the leash.. He couldnt get away if he wanted to dragging that rope. Doing this for a couple weeks and a good shock collar did the trick..
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal