Author Topic: Two deer found dead in Esopus of EHD  (Read 8047 times)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: Two deer found dead in Esopus of EHD
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2021, 10:29:10 AM »
the stench of death is so bad along the roundout creek below eddyville.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2021, 06:43:39 PM »
There are a lot of deer dead I'm afraid ... my apple trees always hold 8-10 deer in the evenings.
I might see 2 -3 now ..and the stench of dead deer is strong ...

Last year we had some problems with EHD , but nothing like this ..
Sad to watch the deer die like this ..if this continues there will be nothing left ..

I wonder if the mountain deer are also Infected with this ?
My friend is going scouting up in Mohonk tomorrow, ...
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline GrizG

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2021, 07:38:28 PM »
I took a woods walk this afternoon and took a route that brought me around the many small ponds and streams in the woods where I hunt. I came across a fawn that was bedded down. It awoke, got to it's feet and looked at me for a few moments before walking off. It appeared to be in good condition. As I got close to where it was bedded I saw a dead doe and dead fawn along the stream bank. I've got to assume they were a family--kind of sad.

I was actually surprised I didn't find more. That said, the long used deer trails have had essentially no traffic. I only found a few fresh tracks since the last rain--in years past the trails would be muddy messes from all the deer traffic. There were coyote tracks on the trail where I saw a set of fawn tracks... I found no fresh browsing evidence and nothing resembling fresh deer feces... in years past the areas I explored today would be practically paved in feces.  It's like the deer have literally disappeared.
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline brushwolf

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 07:55:46 PM »
Bob i work at Mohonk as i run the wastewater plant. I was seeing several nice bucks all summer. Havent seen them now in over 3 weeks. Saw 2 small does on Monday.

Offline Yotehntr

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 08:40:24 PM »
Seems like that area is being hit, like central Orange/Putnam was last year. A lot of areas have been totally wiped out and will take a good 4-5 years for the herd to rebuild. It’s extremely eerie when you’re walking in the midst of the virus. A couple times last year, I walked up on entire family groups wiped out 5-6 deer fresh, then fawns wandering around aimlessly, deer drooling walking in circles.

Nobody will ever know the real numbers, but it’s certainly in the tens of thousands that died between last year, and the ones that currently are.

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2021, 01:08:20 PM »
One of the last remaining few deer left ..
Found this morning under my apple tree ..
I feel the entire deer herd my me has been wiped out !

Offline ole bleu

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 03:39:17 PM »
Found my first one at my house today and smell another one just down the road

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »
Add me to the list unfortunately …..Rosendale area. Found him today next to our stream after smelling death for a few days.  He’s on my camera the other day too. No good
Oh Yeah !

Offline The Warden

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
  • My daughter Gena Loves to fish!
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »
That’s so funny that everybody’s finding these deer. This afternoon in my backyard was a very sickly looking doe and two babies it jumped down off my wall in the backyard couldn’t get back out laid down in my yard for about two hours. About 10 minutes later she got back up and was eating in my backyard and then come one of the fawns they stayed there for a while and then the fawn returned to the woods but mama couldn’t make it up the wall she came out across my sidewalk under my ramp walked down the driveway and across the street she’s gonna be dead soon I think. I never heard a baby fawn cry her fawn was crying. I did video it but I’m not good at putting it on LOL
No person was ever honored for what he received . Honor is the reward for what he gave.

I Looked and now I'm hooked on HVS

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2021, 06:30:31 PM »
I truly feel for you guys but have a question have to started looking for a new hunting spot so you can leave yours alone just asking because many were crying about not seeing deer last year because they stayed where they were hit hard

Offline ole bleu

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2021, 07:43:23 PM »
I wish new hunting properties grew around the corner land to hunt on is very difficult to find and yes I do my fair share of hunting public land

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2021, 08:04:29 PM »
Personally I have never found it that hard to find a place it’s really a numbers game knock on enough doors that is the only hard part and I actually wish I started hunting the Catskills mountains when i was younger I started about 5 years ago and found way more game than I ever imagined

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2021, 08:15:51 PM »
I feel for you guys that are in the hard hit areas. This really sucks!

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2021, 04:50:28 AM »
I have not heard of anything out here but have smelled death while driving hopefully just car kills

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2021, 07:31:41 AM »
Bob i work at Mohonk as i run the wastewater plant. I was seeing several nice bucks all summer. Havent seen them now in over 3 weeks. Saw 2 small does on Monday.

My friend took a walk on Mohonk Saturday and a deer got up , then fell back down .
Went back this morning and here he is ...
This was behind sewer plant area ..:-(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal