Author Topic: Two deer found dead in Esopus of EHD  (Read 7660 times)

Online GrizG

Two deer found dead in Esopus of EHD
« on: August 04, 2021, 05:40:58 PM »
https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2021/08/04/two-deer-found-dead-in-esopus-of-bug-transmitted-disease-dec-says/

By PAUL KIRBY | pkirby@freemanonline.com | Daily Freeman
PUBLISHED: August 4, 2021 at 3:21 p.m. | UPDATED: August 4, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.

ESOPUS, N.Y. – Two white-tailed deer died in Esopus after contracting an often-fatal disease spread by bugs, according to the state Department of Environmental Conservation.

The DEC has confirmed that the deer died of Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease.

The DEC is currently following up on reports of several other dead deer in Dutchess, Ulster, and Westchester counties.

The virus is an often-fatal disease of deer that is transmitted by biting midges, small bugs often called no-see-ums or “punkies,” the DEC said.

The Chance in Poughkeepsie reopens after nearly 500 days
The disease is not spread from deer to deer and humans cannot be infected by deer or bites from midges.

The virus was first confirmed in New York in 2007 with relatively small outbreaks in Albany, Rensselaer, and Niagara counties, and in Rockland County in 2011, the agency said.

The DEC said that from early September to late October 2020, a large outbreak occurred in the lower Hudson Valley, centered in Putnam and Orange counties, with an estimated 1,500 deer mortalities.

Once infected with the virus, deer usually die within 36 hours. Outbreaks are most common in the late summer and early fall when midges are abundant. Symptoms include fever, hemorrhage in muscle or organs, and swelling of the head, neck, tongue, and lips.

A deer infected with the virus may appear lame or dehydrated. Frequently, infected deer will seek out water sources and many succumb near a water source, the DEC said.

There is no treatment or means to prevent Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease. The dead deer do not serve as a source of infection for other animals.

“EHD outbreaks do not have a significant long-term impact on deer populations, but deer mortality can be intense in small geographic areas,” the DEC said in a press release. “EHD is endemic in the southern states where there are annual outbreaks, so some southern deer have developed immunity. In the northeast, EHD outbreaks occur sporadically and deer in New York have no immunity to this virus.”

Sightings of sick or dying deer should be reported to the nearest DEC Regional Office or Environmental Conservation Police Officer.
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Online GrizG

Re: Two deer found dead in Esopus of EHD
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 06:09:58 PM »
Disease is Not Transmissible to Humans; New Yorkers Encouraged to Report Sick or Dead Deer to DEC

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today confirmed that two white-tailed deer in the town of Esopus, Ulster County, died after contracting Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). DEC is currently following up on reports of several other dead deer in Dutchess, Ulster, and Westchester counties.

EHD virus is an often fatal disease of deer that is transmitted by biting midges, small bugs often called no-see-ums or 'punkies.' The disease is not spread from deer to deer and humans cannot be infected by deer or bites from midges.

The EHD virus was first confirmed in New York in 2007 with relatively small outbreaks in Albany, Rensselaer, and Niagara counties, and in Rockland County in 2011. From early September to late October 2020, a large EHD outbreak occurred in the lower Hudson Valley, centered in Putnam and Orange counties, with an estimated 1,500 deer mortalities.

Once infected with EHD, deer usually die within 36 hours. EHD outbreaks are most common in the late summer and early fall when midges are abundant. EHD symptoms include fever, hemorrhage in muscle or organs, and swelling of the head, neck, tongue, and lips. A deer infected with EHD may appear lame or dehydrated. Frequently, infected deer will seek out water sources and many succumb near a water source. There is no treatment or means to prevent EHD. The dead deer do not serve as a source of infection for other animals.

EHD outbreaks do not have a significant long-term impact on deer populations, but deer mortality can be intense in small geographic areas. EHD is endemic in the southern states where there are annual outbreaks, so some southern deer have developed immunity. In the northeast, EHD outbreaks occur sporadically and deer in New York have no immunity to this virus. Consequently, most EHD-infected deer in New York are expected to die. In the north, the first hard frost kills the midges that transmit the disease, ending the EHD outbreak.

Sightings of sick or dying deer should be reported to the nearest DEC Regional Office or Environmental Conservation Police Officer. DEC will collect samples from deer and analyze data from deer reports to determine the extent of the outbreak. In addition, DEC has alerted Department of Agriculture and Markets veterinarians in the region to be aware of the disease and to report suspicious cases among captive deer.

For more information, visit Cornell University's Wildlife Health Lab website.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/press.html
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 05:29:29 AM »
This is not good thanks Griz.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Yotehntr

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 09:41:03 AM »
Dad found 5 dead along the rondout yesterday. Appears to be mostly up in that area. Haven’t came across anything in orange yet.

Online GrizG

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »
Through the woods that's not far from where I hunt... Honestly, with the development, loss of huntable land, and decline in hunters with access to that land, the deer population could use thinning. When the season opens it's not unusual to see 30-50+ deer move through my parents' yard.  They decimate the ornamental landscaping in the area. I was there pruning trees last week and was moving the cuttings with a wheelbarrow. Two bucks (5 and 7 pt) kept following me around the property, often coming within 25 feet. A doe munched on tulip poplar leaves in the waste pile and only stepped aside to let me add more tree brush. It was weird... Then it occurred to me that one of the neighbors uses a wheelbarrow to feed the deer behind his house. I guess they thought I was a roach coach too!
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA

Offline UCBowhunter

• Redneck Cupid
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 10:33:07 AM »
Just read the article earlier this morning. Not good.
I quit smoking bring on hunting season I need to kill chit

Offline bigfoot

• NYS STAFF
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »
I have to wonder if it’s not worse than we think, I have a trail cam on the Apple tree in the back yard, no deer in the last week. In fact, I’m not seeing any in the woods out back for the last couple weeks. There was a doe laying on the side of the road by Bucks junkyard - could have been hit by a car don’t know.

I’m seeing good numbers at my camp in Denning, but here in Esopus …. It’s not like normal.

Muskrat - do you have numbers over there ?

Larry
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 05:43:57 PM »
Hi Larry
I still seem to have my deer here under my apple tree ...
They do come and go ..
But there was a dead one , washed up on  the rocks at Lefever falls , and multiple bald eagles fighting over it !!   I wouldn't doubt that was EHD
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 08:51:08 PM »
Friend of mine found a few floating in the wallkill River today….New paltz area. Not good
Oh Yeah !

Offline striperman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 09:13:26 AM »
I haven't seen any in dutchess yet but found quite a few last year.
Golf,the art of playing fetch with yourself.

Online GrizG

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 01:16:11 PM »
I found a dead fawn in my parents' ornamental landscaping today when I went there to mow... Town of Ulster near the line with the City of Kingston. It was one of a pair of twins that have been hanging out there with their mom all year. Usually they'd see 20-30+ deer per day behind their house... now they seldom see any.  The missing include these two bucks who followed me around while I was pruning trees there a few weeks ago.

NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 01:41:39 PM »
It's  not good , I feel there are a lot more dead than people relize .
While typing this , my friend calls me from saugerties, and he whatched a 9 pointer flopping around in a pond until it just put his head under , and that was it ...dead ..

It's very sad . I'm wondering if we should even have a deer season this year ...
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 02:36:50 PM »
Two years in a row now. Seems to be a little different areas, but not good!

Online GrizG

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 03:26:54 PM »
I spoke with DEC this afternoon about the fawn I found. He told me that the circumstances fit the EHD profile (including proximity to water) and that they wouldn't be examining the deer... They've had enough reports to know EHD was in that area. They do want people to report the dead and the locations though so that they can monitor and estimate the deer kill.
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA

Online ole bleu

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 04:59:01 PM »
Very interesting coming from DEC as they propose an early September doe season and an increase of DMPS in hard hit areas from last year the management practices seem a little off to me I really wish D Henry was still involved for some honest opinions on there management tactics

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal