Author Topic: Fish of a lifetime!  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
Fish of a lifetime!
« on: May 18, 2021, 08:33:16 AM »
I have been so busy with charters I finally had a moment to write up a summary of our epic trip last Friday. 

5/14

49" 54# Bass caught on live eel for Jim from New Hampshire.  His very first time on the Hudson River and only 2nd time ever fishing for Striped Bass with only 1 small Striper under his belt prior to stepping onto Tippin'Scales Charters. Jim came solo looking for that personal 1 on 1 experience and landed a true GIANT and catch of a lifetime. 

Jim had never seen my Facebook page or Instagram before and still hasn't but last year during a trip upstate NY Pulaski for Salmon and Steelhead he was having a few drinks at bar after a day of fishing. This night he met a stranger and were talking fishing and struck up conversations about Stripers on the Hudson and he was given my name as a charter guide. He has no idea who he spoke too but is eternally grateful for that chance meeting that set this rare accomplishment into motion. A name, a phone number and a call that we connected he booked a date to fish and changed his fishing career forever...

We started trip South of Kingston NY drifting Sandworms and boated 20 or so small ones and had our keepers in the box decided to change tactics and target a bigger fish. We landed on a pile of big bass started a drift, missed a couple short strikes but then found the right bite. With a very light strike I waited till I was certain fish had sucked eel in I grabbed rod and reeled up some pressure before burying hook in jaw (circle hooks) before handing rod off to Jim. Jim starts to fight fish and now she realizes she's hooked and not happy... With a great fight many runs every time within sight of boat running us around motors 4 or 5 times.  Other boats took notice and started taking video and pictures. I finally got the shot to net her and Jim although happy was surprised about my excitement and overflowing adrenaline of what we just experienced.  He had no idea of the magnitude of this catch and size of fish but all the nearby boats and my reactions it  was starting to sink in. I left netted fish in water until I got boat organized topside so we could make quick work of measurements and pictures. We then took great care and about 10 minute's to revive her she began thrashing a bit and dorsal fin erect I knew she was ready. We let her go and swam back into the deep with strong goodbye wave of her tail to complete her journey to spawn. A fish this size has 3-5 million eggs.

What a great experience and now the bar is higher and I will be seeking out a 60 pounder.

We were so focused on getting her back in water pictures are not the best a few were from nearby boaters that forwarded to me. I wasn't going to play games looking for the best angle,  hand hold to over emphasize the size of fish.  Straight-arming the fish for perspective wasn't possible anyways just too heavy so placed in Jim's arms fully supported for picture.

Sorry for long story but wanted to share my passion of targeting these great fish.

Thanks
Capt Pat

We are starting to take dates for 2022 Hudson trips and still have 2021 Montauk Summer dates open if you are looking for trip of a lifetime!

Offline KillerCrow

Re: Fish of a lifetime!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:34:49 AM »
amazing fish congrats, def fish of a lifetime

Offline LouieM

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 09:06:34 AM »
oh yeah!! nice fish! congrats to you and Jim!

Offline 1shot1kill

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 05:44:32 AM »
Nice Job!  What a fish!

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 08:34:40 AM »
What a fish , big congrats
Oh Yeah !

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »
Great Fish, well done!! (beers)

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 06:39:02 PM »
What a pig! Would’ve been state record not that long ago congrats!
TEAM TAG OUT

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal