Author Topic: Your thoughts on the 2020 deer season  (Read 1212 times)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Your thoughts on the 2020 deer season
« on: December 22, 2020, 06:08:47 AM »
Lets hear what you thought about the 2020 deer season. Was it a good one did you see a lot of deer, food and sign? Any mature bucks?
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline LouieM

Re: Your thoughts on the 2020 deer season
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 07:57:54 AM »
2020 was a great year for me - my brother and I both got our first bears and I got my biggest buck to date late rifle season.  During archery I saw more bucks than ever before and got close twice to sealing the deal on mature bucks but no shots and one winded me last second.  This was my 4th year of hunting and I am learning everyday so I hope for the years to continue to get better with sightings and close calls.   I had more time off this year too than previous years and unfortunately my rut vacation during bow landed during the warm spell.  I gave her hell during that week despite the warm temps but I am already day dreaming for next year's rut where hopefully temps will cooperate and lead to more day time activity. 

Offline Labman519

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
Horrible season for me. Saw a lot fewer deer in a stand I always see deer from. I think EHD had something to do with it. Not just me but my brother and a few friends saw much less deer in the woods in Dutchess County

Offline Gut shot

• NYS STAFF
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 02:04:15 PM »
Tags are filled and some great bucks hit the ground, so zero complaints here.  That being said my kids and I hunt Dutchess, Ulster and Columbia counties and Dutchess population seams to be way down.  We saw way less deer on that side of the river than usual.   Hope you all had a successful season, enjoyed some great times with family and friends and made lasting memories. 

Offline Overland

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 06:47:43 PM »
It was a very fun season and I got to hunt a lot. During bow I saw quite a few nice bucks and lots of deer. Gun season I saw lots of deer but no bucks that made me want to pull the trigger.

The biggest disappointment was duck season. The Hudson never had good numbers of birds on it, which I largely attribute to our absolutely horrible season dates and the warm weather. Still scratched out some birds here and there and had fun with it.

Offline Yotehntr

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 09:51:26 PM »
Good season and gained a ton of knowledge, along the way.  Changed up some things, that for me, were Generally set in stone,  which ended up working out. Also, by breaking up hunts, with low Key scouting missions,  I never once got the feeling of being burnt out.. It’s a long ways off, but can’t wait until next year

Online greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 05:46:30 AM »
Probably my best ever harvested 2 great bucks filled all my tags hunted more days than i can remember in one season looking forward to next season with many more nice bucks still in our property

Offline Melly-Mel...

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 10:57:03 PM »
Dutchess was ok, saw many small bucks and does.  Several 100” bucks but no shooters.   Covid kept me home from traveling to ohio, but after hunting all season in ny, i remembered real quick why i go to ohio. 
Broken, Beat, Scarred

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 06:27:30 AM »
I kinda changed things up a bit this year and moved around more then i normally do and did more still hunting then sitting.   Over all i didnt shoot anything great but freezer is full and had a lot of fun just being out there... Over all i would say 2020 was a good season.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 08:46:34 AM »
2020 was a good year for me but I will say daylight activity was far less this season than any other buck or doe. Looking at camera pics and while in my stand there were only 6 buck sightings on feet in daylight, two I shot on their first appearance.  If I hadn't gotten lucky with timing of those 2 sits it could have easily been one of my worst years. I did not see one other legal 3 point side buck entire year in daylight
although I had 14 different bucks on camera during season October 8th thru today. I got camera out late this year...lol

I will admit I didn't hunt as much as usual and only 1 morning sit first day of rifle. 

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 09:41:37 AM »
Bow season I was lucky to tag a nice 3.5 year old buck . But gun season was tough many hours spent in the woods hardly seen any deer . Patterns either changed or numbers are just down in the areas I hunt. Was lucky to get a shot at a decent buck and made it count. 3rd week of season. Logged well over 100 hours with the gun just to see 1 legal buck. But everyday out was an awesome adventure. Seeing all kinds of wildlife.

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 11:12:47 AM »
2020 was a strange season. I started my bow season around the last few days of October, like every year. No acorns in all the areas (Sullivan county) in which I hunt, which isn't that unusual. Wasn't seeing much activity in the beginning. Then that all changed when the temps were in the 70's and the midday  movement (between 1 and 4) was crazy, never experienced movement like that with such temps. The day I shot my Buck it was 72 degrees at 1:15. On one afternoon hunt I did see a sow and three cubs, pretty cool sight.   

The regular season was very slow, then a friend took me hunting to do a little extreme (according to me, he may think otherwise) ;) mountain hunting. Haven't hunted that hard in a very long time. Never fired a shot but the days we spent in the mountains where truly rewarding and successful and I thank you for that experience.

All in all it was a great season!

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 07:05:33 AM »
Lol. No prob bud had a blast hunting the last week with you.. We had some close encounter but it just wasn't meant to be.. Better be ready for next year this will be you. ;)

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »
That picture says it all!! (beers)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal