Author Topic: wood duck hunting  (Read 885 times)

Offline ATbuckhunter

wood duck hunting
« on: October 11, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »
Im going out duck hunting next weekend and I was wondering how you guys think the lower water levels will effect the duck hunting. Ill be hunting along the wallkill river, but im only used to duck hunting late season

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: wood duck hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 05:54:30 AM »
you would think with evrything being so low and not much water in the woods that they would be in the bigger water right now. Been seing alot of ducks in the wallkill around the wallkill area. Good luck.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline ATbuckhunter

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 11:53:37 AM »
you would think with evrything being so low and not much water in the woods that they would be in the bigger water right now. Been seing alot of ducks in the wallkill around the wallkill area. Good luck.
I was hoping this would concentrate them lol. Maybe the rain will raise the river

Offline bandhunter31

• Liberty or Death
  • "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:21:41 PM »
Every hunter seems to have a different opinion on water levels and how they effect duck hunting. most of it is subjective to where they personally hunt. my spots are better when there is less water. i hunt a huge swamp that has a creek running through the middle of it. when water levels are low the ducks concentrate only in the creek, which is 25 feet wide. we whack the hell out of them. when water levels are higher, the entire area is a swamp roughly 200 yards wide so the ducks drop in everywhere and dont bunch up.

other hunters, especially down south, like higher water levels because they are anticipating farm fields being flooded by the high water which will attract ducks to feed...... its just a very subjective question.......
Fast is fine but accuracy is final. In a gunfight you need to take your time in a hurry. - Wyatt Earp

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal