General Category > General Discussions

Sleightsburgh boat ramp fighting restriction that town has implemented

(1/1)

samoleon:
Sportsman , boaters, kayakers the town of esopus has restricted the use of the sleighsburgh ramp for all of us. There is a group of us that have been fighting these new restrictions for over a year now. There are 2-3 local residents complaining (lying) to the town that there are drug deals, drinking parties, and other stuff going on at the ramp so the town put restrictions on the hours of use. All of these allegations have been proven false through help of the sheriffs and the ramp was opened again 24 /7 as it should be in April only to be shut down again a week after it opened because of the 2-3 local residents  lying again on other made up items & once again these items were proven false with the help of the sheriff again but the town has not lifted the restrictions. These people have been complaining since the ramp was built in the late 90's and past supervisors have told them they don't dictate the ramp hours . This new supervisor will not do this so we need more people who use the ramp fight with us.  Next week there is a meeting again to try to resolve this issue (Aug 5) . If any of you use the ramp or know people that use it let them know and come to this meeting. See attached.  If you can't make the meeting send an e mail to the address on the attached meeting notice to support the ramp being open 24/7. If you want to see the history on this fight go to the striper section and look of Sleightsburgh ramp. I hope some of you step up and support other sportsman. This ramp was paid for through grants from the DEC through fees from all of our hunting / fishing licenses.  Thanks 

samoleon:
So tonight I was at the ramp talking to boaters , bass fisherman & who ever else was there to get people to attend the meeting or write in to oppose the restrictions that the town as recently implemented. As of 9:00 pm when the gate was to be locked one truck and trailer remained. This was a bass fisherman from out of state. The guy that locks the gate was there waiting for this person to come back. I looked up and down the creek to see if he was on his way. No where in site. The guy said he would give him a little time but I'm thinking this poor guy came back to the ramp and truck / trailer were towed.  The guy told me he had to tow a few vehicles so far. He also told me that there were times that a fisherman's boat had broke down and the guy just made it back to the ramp before being towed.  Luckily a fellow boater got him back just in time before.  What if this was you. You would be pissed off. Everyone on this site that reads this should take 5 minutes and tell the town stop towing people. Open the ramp 24/7 as it has been for 20+ years and stop harassing the boaters / fishermen. Get the cameras on line that were installed in early February and get them tied into the sheriffs system so they can monitor the ramp. 

walkabout:
Hope u get the support you need at this meeting. Ill spread the word today and give them the info you posted here. Thanks for all your doing.

samoleon:
Thanks , I hope people do send emails, the more the better,  the final meeting is next week so people can send e mails up to the 12th,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version