Author Topic: By far the coolest thing I've ever found doing soil tests  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
Re: By far the coolest thing I've ever found doing soil tests
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »
So cool! Last year while checking trail cameras in the woods I came across a stone with numerous dimples on flat side, have no clue what they’re from but doesn’t look natural. Will post pic later.
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 10:41:51 AM »
... any guesses?
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 03:17:03 PM »
 According to a archaeologist ive spoken to the stone axe was used for fallen trees but not in the traditional manner that we know . They would set fires around the trunk of the trees they wanted down and burn them for days and as they were burning every so often they would remove the burnt charcoal with the stone axe until the tree falls. Relf25, it sure is a cool stone for sure but doesnt look man made from what i can see by the pic. Mother nature sure does some unusable things.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 07:41:47 PM »
Good to know that they used it to farm Ron (clear trees) ;D. Making even cooler!

Relf-- it looks like a petrified woodpecker tree--LOL. What kind of rock is it?  Remember that 3 times in history of  pre-NY that there was one mile thick ice where your standing.  That rock may be from Canada.

What kind of handle do you think it had.  The end had to be cut out or split then bound with hemp, cat gut  pine pitch? Any ideas.  Hunts with stone does that kind of stuff as well as Ron I think.  Any ideas.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 03:24:22 AM »
Appleman, cant really tell from the pic but looks like it may have never been used or finished as u can still see all the pec marks on it from the pec and grind method. usually they would polish those things up really nice.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline bart

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 08:09:14 AM »
Very cool find!

I would have guessed some kind of war club... learn something new every day, very interesting.
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young." -Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 09:04:02 AM »
Pec marks??  What is that Ron?
Very cool find!

I would have guessed some kind of war club... learn something new every day, very interesting.

Bart--It could have been a war club if the dude in the next long house over was over visiting and didn't expect an early return from the hunt.....  ;). Nah--that wouldn't have happened back then.

Offline Redfish

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »
I found this one as a kid. Dug up when my grandma's house was built in the Hamptons.  This  one has a sharpened edge and a rounded one.  It was near the Shinnecock Indian reservation.  The one you found is a work of art!

Offline Redfish

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »
Mine almost looks like a net sinker (weight) but the sharpened edge shows it's real use. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal