Author Topic: Baby it’s cold outside  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
Baby it’s cold outside
« on: April 19, 2020, 08:08:39 AM »
Might not be a very fruitful fall with these cold temperatures we are getting.  Always wishing I had more time to fish and hunt in the Fall.  Careful what you wish for.  26’F at Tight cluster (growth stage apples are in now) = 90 % kill of flowers. Oh well... all the work all winter was good exercise.

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
Re: Baby it’s cold outside
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 08:38:36 AM »
Oh no........my fingers are crossed for you guys
Oh Yeah !

Offline Take Em

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »
I always think of you Appleman when the weather is like this. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you too and all the other fruit farmers out there. Mother Nature works in mysterious ways

Offline Relf25

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 11:15:22 AM »
Luckily only got to 32 here in Marlboro
TEAM TAG OUT

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 09:51:25 PM »
Luckily only got to 32 here in Marlboro

I know everyone, I mean everybody in Marlboro, for the past 32 years in Marlboro, Milton, Highland, Middlehope, Gardner, New Paltz, Wallkill, Plattekill etc... that farms and I know that it got lower than 32 in the last 2days in all of those places.

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 06:52:56 AM »
Remember that the temperature drops when the wind stops causing cold air to settle actually flowing to low areas.  I've seen when this happens a 1' difference in the temp taken at 6' and on the ground standing in the same spot.  Hot air rises and cold air settles that's why orchards are normally planted on hills and you see wind machines in the low areas (to keep the air mixed up).  Your house in Marlboro may very well been 32 at its coldest, that doesn't mean that just over the hill it wasn't 5-6' colder.  OK, enough earth science class - hope everyone is staying healthy and happy.  Please take 2 to think your plan over prior to any work or play you do, it could save your life.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal