Author Topic: Looking for pistol recommendations  (Read 5208 times)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Re: Looking for pistol recommendations
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 06:13:26 AM »
Who says u cant leave your pistol locked in your car. several years back i looked into this and couldnt find any written law about leaving your gun in a car.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »
Does anyone know the reciprocity of our neighboring states of CT, RI and Mass? It looks like they are not recognized by Utah or Florida. When I'm fishing Salt I may sail thru NY,CT and RI waters on a single trip... do I need to apply individually in these states if I wish to carry?

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 11:45:01 AM »
Overland said: and I'm not saying that he is wrong...
You also cannot carry it in any government building. So no stopping at the post office to mail a package. Rest areas on 87 are government-owned, so you cannot carry your pistol inside and cannot leave it in your vehicle. No stopping at one of those for gas or a snack while on your way up to the Adirondacks.
[/quote]
When I took the class they covered federal buildings and property (i.e. Post office), but said nothing of state buildings.  Would this include state lands(no i think).  You left out schools, NYNY, and Buffalo, what else?

Ulster sheriff should have a fact sheet covering the updated dos and don't rules in a nutshell  Does anyone know if it exists so we don't have to go on hearsay.

Offline Overland

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »
When I took the class they covered federal buildings and property (i.e. Post office), but said nothing of state buildings.  Would this include state lands(no i think).  You left out schools, NYNY, and Buffalo, what else?

Ulster sheriff should have a fact sheet covering the updated dos and don't rules in a nutshell  Does anyone know if it exists so we don't have to go on hearsay.

The laws are confusing...and many. I don't claim to have a full knowledge of all of them and some of what I believe may not be entirely correct. I know the rest area part is correct though. It's also illegal to possess a pistol on the grounds of any school, so no carrying while picking up your child at school, even if you never get out of your vehicle. Here is a discussion on leaving a pistol in one's vehicle in NY: https://nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics-firearms-self-defense-weapons/19502-leaving-pistol-your-car.html

Offline Overland

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »
Does anyone know the reciprocity of our neighboring states of CT, RI and Mass? It looks like they are not recognized by Utah or Florida. When I'm fishing Salt I may sail thru NY,CT and RI waters on a single trip... do I need to apply individually in these states if I wish to carry?

I looked into this. None of those three states recognize reciprocity with any other states. However, all three of those states are willing to issue permits to non-residents (not clear how strict/difficult this is). This website is particularly useful for understanding permits and reciprocity: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ma-gun-laws/

Offline goodorbit

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »
CT was fairly easy to get an out of state license from. Had to provide proof of having completed a live fire course. IIRC

Offline 1shot1kill

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2020, 08:35:29 PM »
I may be doing another through hike with my daughter Bryce this summer before she heads off to college.  Always want to carry whenever possible.  Looks like I picked the right trail and state.  Vermont Long Trail!

Offline BallisticianX

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2020, 02:45:37 PM »
I can make a suggestion as to what gun Id recommend for compact CC. But Id like to recommend the path to prepare for it. If your new to shooting a handgun then building the skillset to manipulate the gun and place accurate shots is the biggest concern. You have to take the responsibility of CC serious. If your gonna carry than you need to be confident thru establishing honed ability. To start from scratch learning on a compact/micro pistol is not where to pop your handgun cherry. Small guns have more muzzle rise from shorter barrels/lighter weight, are easier to pull/push shots, gripping them is more complex with less available grip area. So I suggest buying a full size pistol in 9mm and honing your skills there first. You can buy a second gun (excuses to buy more guns is always a plus) that better suits the small size for easy concealment after the fact (or the same time, your choice). Trust me that building the proper handling and shooting form on a full size will happen faster and easier. Then the transition to a smaller pistol will be less frustrating.

Now for the gun itself, for a compact CC Pistol: Go the striker fired route without external safeties to minimize having to remember to manipulate anything other than the trigger press in a high stress situation. The Sig P365 is my first choice as its hard to beat with its size, capacity, and accuracy. Well made and proven reliability.
For a first full size gun, stick with the same striker style in 9mm to "train you into the CC". M&P, Sig, Walther, or Glock. A note on Glocks though; they have a steeper grip angle than most other pistols that use the standard 1911 (11 degree) angle so it makes going from a Glock to anything else disrupt your established grip to point of aim.
Lastly, though you arent a revolver guy, DA revos are a good CC option. Simple and no external safety distractions. They are a good tool to learn trigger control, they never fail to feed or extract between shots, or stovepipe. If it doesnt go bang your natural reaction to pull the trigger again will work whereas a pistol you need to remember to slap & rack to get a shot off. Food for thought!   
Gus VanEtten
President, Saugerties Fish & Game Club
Professional Shooter, Rudy Project Pro Team/Bedell Custom Team
2019 ICORE International Postal Match Overall Champion
2019 ICORE International Revolver Championship 2nd Place Open Division

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2020, 07:36:44 PM »
Lots of great advise Balisticianx thanks.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2020, 07:56:59 PM »
Interesting info I hadn't considered,  thank you.

Offline Overland

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2020, 09:21:37 PM »
I may be doing another through hike with my daughter Bryce this summer before she heads off to college.  Always want to carry whenever possible.  Looks like I picked the right trail and state.  Vermont Long Trail!

Hiking in Vermont is pretty special. I've done an end-to-end hike of the Long Trail and it is significantly more remote than the Long Path. I also hiked just the southern section another time. The northern section is quite rugged and a lot of fun. I never felt any reason to have a pistol while hiking it, but to each their own. It's a fantastic trail, likely my favorite that I've hiked. I'm sure you will both very much enjoy the experience.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2020, 07:34:59 AM »
I can make a suggestion as to what gun Id recommend for compact CC. But Id like to recommend the path to prepare for it. If your new to shooting a handgun then building the skillset to manipulate the gun and place accurate shots is the biggest concern. You have to take the responsibility of CC serious. If your gonna carry than you need to be confident thru establishing honed ability. To start from scratch learning on a compact/micro pistol is not where to pop your handgun cherry. Small guns have more muzzle rise from shorter barrels/lighter weight, are easier to pull/push shots, gripping them is more complex with less available grip area. So I suggest buying a full size pistol in 9mm and honing your skills there first. You can buy a second gun (excuses to buy more guns is always a plus) that better suits the small size for easy concealment after the fact (or the same time, your choice). Trust me that building the proper handling and shooting form on a full size will happen faster and easier. Then the transition to a smaller pistol will be less frustrating.

Now for the gun itself, for a compact CC Pistol: Go the striker fired route without external safeties to minimize having to remember to manipulate anything other than the trigger press in a high stress situation. The Sig P365 is my first choice as its hard to beat with its size, capacity, and accuracy. Well made and proven reliability.
For a first full size gun, stick with the same striker style in 9mm to "train you into the CC". M&P, Sig, Walther, or Glock. A note on Glocks though; they have a steeper grip angle than most other pistols that use the standard 1911 (11 degree) angle so it makes going from a Glock to anything else disrupt your established grip to point of aim.
Lastly, though you arent a revolver guy, DA revos are a good CC option. Simple and no external safety distractions. They are a good tool to learn trigger control, they never fail to feed or extract between shots, or stovepipe. If it doesnt go bang your natural reaction to pull the trigger again will work whereas a pistol you need to remember to slap & rack to get a shot off. Food for thought!

great post thank you

Offline bandhunter31

• Liberty or Death
  • "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2020, 07:17:57 AM »
I prefer pocket carry, as i do not wear a belt and IWB or OWB is difficult for me...... I own a good variety of name brand wonder 9's but oddly enough i settled on carrying a kel tec PF9...... lightest 9mm i can find and i can even pocket carry in sweat pants or gym shorts with a desantis pocket holster....... as far as state reciprocity goes, i currently have my Penn, Florida, Utah, NH and Maine non resident permits...... since i have got them Maine and NH have become constitutional carry states so i will not be reapplying when they expire...... I tell everyone that Utah isnt worth the effort...... i will be letting mine expire when its time...... i have my Florida permit and with the exception of the states of washington & new mexico they are the exact same in regards to reciprocity...... plus Utah excepts florida and florida does not except Utah!....... Penn is easy to get...... i get mine in Berks county at the reading airport which is a 25 minute drive from cabelas in Hamburg and its only $20 bucks and takes 5 minutes........ heres a link to a site i use to piece together reciprocity (and its updated every couple months)...... https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

as far as Mass, RI and CT, they all can be had but its a little more effort..... Mass for example needs to be done in person and only lasts 1 year....... i thought about driving up to Lee Mass and getting mine but i really don't go to mass ever and when my wife and I are making our vacation plans, we always plan around my carry reciprocity anyway..... its half the reason i got florida in the first place...... lots of family their and in the next 5 years after i get my time in for my NYS pension, were moving their anyway......
Fast is fine but accuracy is final. In a gunfight you need to take your time in a hurry. - Wyatt Earp

Offline TomS

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2020, 10:34:17 PM »
Glock 43 is a sweet 9mm, have the bodyguard 380, while small and concealable I don’t recommend,has a real ooooty trigger and thinking of doing a trigger job! Also have a S&W 38 airweight for summer wear.

Offline GrizG

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »
Just received notice of some upcoming classes on NYS Penal Law Article 35 on the use of force and deadly physical force from Ken Cooper. Information that is as important as knowing how to use your gun if you are carrying for self defense.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Practical Application of the Law - NYS Article 35 (Use of Force)
3 New Dates (9AM-5PM)

This course deals with the responsibility to make proper decisions with regard to the use of force is an ever present reality and is not lessened by the fact that the armed citizen must make these decisions under the worst of circumstances. State Residents know that their use of force will necessarily be subject to scrutiny both form within and without the Criminal Justice System; criminal and civil prosecution may be the result if the individual’s actions are deemed unlawful or inappropriate. Yet, failure to use force when it is reasonable and necessary may very well mean injury or death to the person and / or innocent civilians. In particular, this course deals with NYS Law Article 35.

The class will be offered as follows (please specify when registering):

Feb. 29: 9AM-5PM - $100.00 per person
Dutchess County Rifle and Pistol Association - offered through the Well Armed Women. This class is for women only.
To register, email Jackie Emslie at jslie@earthlink.net

March 14: 9AM-5PM - $150.00 per person
Marbletown Sportsmens Club - open to all
To register, email Carol Wills Laurito at ckf3@msn.com

March 21: 9AM-5PM - $175.00 per person
Dutchess County Rifle and Pistol Association - open to all
To register, email Jackie Emslie at jslie@earthlink.net 
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal