Author Topic: Looking for pistol recommendations  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
Looking for pistol recommendations
« on: January 22, 2020, 04:10:39 PM »
I've begun the process of getting my Concealed Carry permit and was curious to what the majority of you guys have? From what I'm reading 9mm seams to be most common with low recoil and reasonably inexpensive to shoot.

I also liked the idea of a .22WMR for practice and plinking in addition but it looks like semi auto pistols are not common. I'm not really interested in revolvers so a .22lr might be my only option but I liked the idea of .22WMR as a compact defense gun even though it's not traditionally used for it.

What are your opinions?

Offline jmack413

• NYS Supporter
  • vegetarian old indian word for lousy hunter,
Re: Looking for pistol recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
9mm good way to go for CC, a lot of good choices out there, as far as the 22mag, stay away from semi auto would take a look for a ruger single six convertible comes with two cylinders one 22lr and 22mag. this is my choice when I go for hikes back up coyote gun. get out to some stores see what catches your eye and feels good in your hand.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 06:19:40 PM »
Am I even able to handle a pistol prior to issue of CC? I thought that was a no-no but yet they want you to purchase a gun to be registered on your permit. The safety class did absolutely nothing as far as walking thru the application process 😠 or what state reciprocity are recognized if traveling.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 06:24:14 PM »
9mm good way to go for CC, a lot of good choices out there, as far as the 22mag, stay away from semi auto would take a look for a ruger single six convertible comes with two cylinders one 22lr and 22mag. this is my choice when I go for hikes back up coyote gun. get out to some stores see what catches your eye and feels good in your hand.

I'll look into the Ruger thanks! That's a cool option to switch cylinder for 22 or 22WMR I'm just not a fan of the double action heavy trigger pull. The course had some dummy guns and if used as single action only it isn't as bad.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:26:04 PM »
I carry the S.W. body guard .380 fits nice in my front pocket with no holster. When i use a holster its on my ankle 
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:40:35 PM »
I carry the S.W. body guard .380 fits nice in my front pocket with no holster. When i use a holster its on my ankle

I looked up that .380 bodyguard,  that's pretty small.... I can see it easily going in pocket. I was considering the .380 but wasn't sure if way underpowered as my main defense gun. Trying to stay with only 2 for now not looking for an arsenal bu I can say that compact .380 bodyguard would be easy concealed carry weapon.

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 08:54:25 PM »
.380 is my pocket gun carried all the time but out and about I carry the Sig P365 in 9mm w a pancake holster on the hip. Purchased last year, really sweet compact gun.
Oh Yeah !

Offline GrizG

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 09:15:27 PM »
You don't specifically mention concealed carry as your only need... so several threads:

The first rule of defending yourself with a gun is having a gun. As such you need to pick something reasonably powerful, completely reliable, and small enough and light enough that you actually carry the gun.  As such, for most social work I carry a S&W Airweight 38 Special +P in a Galco horsehide pocket holster.  This gun is small enough and light enough to carry year round even when wearing shorts. It is also quite accurate for a 15 oz. 2" gun -- 8" plates at 25 yards isn't difficult.  In cold weather I can carry a full size 1911 .45 ACP under my coat... but that's only a small portion of the year. Today I'd seriously look at a S&W 442 or Sig Sauer P365 for carry. My son just got a 442.

For range use about anything can be used... That said, for shooting skill development a .22 rimfire with decent sights and trigger and ammo by the case is a good way to go for the first gun.  ;)  Get all the basics down... grip, sight picture, sight alignment, breathing, etc. and shoot a lot of intentional shots at paper (not just blasting away plinking). Once you have the basics down, with a good .22 soda cans at 100 yards is reliably doable... as are .22 casings at 5 yards. Of all the folks I suggested this to I don't think any of them actually did it for their first gun... it was their number 2, 3 or 4 gun. They typically bought a center fire that was expensive to feed, that led them to flinch or otherwise not shoot small groups, and that limited the rounds put down range. For example, one guy in the early '80s had to have an 8 3/8" nickeled S&W Model 29 .44 magnum when he saw it in the store where we went to get him a Ruger .22. All logic went out the window when he saw that gun... so did any chance of learning all the basics well. Yeah, he got a .22 eventually but not before he had a lot of bad habits entrenched in his mind and muscles. 

For hunting. If you're skilled enough to hunt with a handgun you're probably skilled enough to make a good choice.
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 11:03:03 PM »
Thanks guys lots of valuable info there... I'm surprised all the .38 being so common as the primary carry.

I don't see myself using handgun for hunting but that may change in time so that puts my needs more for personal protection and range to hone my skills. I'll admit handling the dummy guns in class felt extremely awkward even though I've been around and shot long guns for 37 years. I guess it will take time for comfort level to carry.

I've been looking and for some reason the Sig P320 is looking promising in 9mm or possibly in .38 if offered in that frame. I think a .22 in conjunction with the 9mm or .38 auto
 gives me a good starting point. I guess thanking I'd get away with only 1 or 2 pistols to do it all is a crazy idea...lol

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 05:23:14 AM »
.380 is my pocket gun carried all the time but out and about I carry the Sig P365 in 9mm w a pancake holster on the hip. Purchased last year, really sweet compact gun.
You carry one in every pocket. Your the only guy i know that has a outline of a gun worn into your pockets like a snuff can..lol
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline WEM144

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 07:06:38 AM »
 Always prepared !!!  8)
Oh Yeah !

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 07:14:20 AM »
Kimber micro 9 , or my AMT .380 , or my little .25 auto pocket gun ....all easily concealed carry guns , 1911-.45 on certain occasions:-)...
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Online gdk45

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 07:17:33 AM »
I'm downsizing my collection.  Can be seen here.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 08:19:19 AM »
I bought a ruger SR22 (22lr) as my first pistol after getting my permit knowing it would be very manageable and affordable to plink.  Box of 500 CCI minimags hp on sale as low as 29.99.    I learned how to shoot in the navy so after having my 22lr for a little bit I now need to upgrade for personal protection.  That would be the benefit of skipping 22lr and going 9mm or something similar in power and affordable ammo

Offline Geezer

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 09:18:36 AM »
1) find a carry gun that is comfortable enough in your hand that you can shoot it straight
2) It should be light enough to carry comfortably
3) It should be small enough to easily conceal
4) It should be powerful enough to do the intended job

You will find that you may have to compromise on all of these criteria, but there are so many choices that you will find something that you like.

I believe NY still requires that once you are approved for a handgun you must buy one within a short period of time. I suggest that you buy the .22 that your thinking about and do a lot of shooting before you buy an actual carry gun.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal