Author Topic: ELMER'S ULSTER FEDERATION LEGISLATIVE REPORT - JAN 2020  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Elmer

• Legislative Liason
ELMER'S ULSTER FEDERATION LEGISLATIVE REPORT - JAN 2020
« on: January 09, 2020, 05:29:50 PM »
1). DELGADO VS  ?:   At this point all of our members should know that Delgado is NOT Pro 2A.  Also, for whatever it matters he voted affirmatively on the two articles of impeachment.  3 names have surfaced to run against Delgado.  Most of the Sportsmen should have already at least heard the name of Tony German who I would say is the leading candidate at this point.  Tony is formerly Adjutant General of NYS Reserve Forces.  A more complete picture of his impressive achievements can be found here: https://www.nationalguard.mil/portals/31/Features/ngbgomo/bio/2/2237.html Two other names are Ms. Olla ? , and Marc Molinaro.  Not much is known about Olla and she doesn’t seem to be very active at advancing her candidacy.  Marc Molinaro probably has the best chance overall, but rumors are that the talks between he and GOP Leadership have resulted in a different strategy.  Note: German has already spoken at some clubs meetings.  If any club would like to have Tony introduce himself at a club event, call Tony’s campaign Mgr Matt McCann – 603.542.5879.

2). OTHER CONGRESS RACES IN NY:  The Ulster Federation is NOT a partisan organization.  The Ulster Federation is active politically only so much as to support its mission statement to support Sporting and 2nd Amendment.  That said these four Congressmembers are all working with policies/issues that are not aligned with Ulster Federation.  The Following Excerpt was Cut And Pasted From:
https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/politics/new-york-state/republicans-target-four-new-york-dems-2020-congress-cycle.html

…”The National Republican Congressional Committee hasn’t given up on New York. After losing three GOP House seats in the state last year, the GOP’s congressional campaign arm thinks it can reclaim those seats from the freshmen Democrats: Reps. Max Rose, Antonio Delgado and Anthony Brindisi. The NRCC is also hopeful that a Republican can knock off Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney.

These seats are 4 of 55 offensive targets for the Republican party nationwide. With six initial targets announced in California and five in neighboring New Jersey, it is not the most aggressive initiative in the country, or even the region. But if Republicans can flip all four targeted seats, or at least recover the three lost in the midterms, it’ll add ballast to a party struggling to stay afloat in New York.”…

3). STATE SENATE RACES ULSTER COUNTY:  As reported last month, Amedore announced he would not run to hold his office after Michelle Hinchey, (Yes former Congressman Maurice Hinchey’s daughter), announced she would be running for the seat.  At this point, there is discussion with a politically viable candidate to run against Hinchey for the right side of the aisle voters.  Name cannot be released at this time, but I can say I believe him to be slightly right of center on firearms and 2A issues.  Senator Jen Metzger, (who succeeded John Bonacic) has drawn at least one opponent.  Recently Michael Martucci announced that he will run against Metzger.  No other names have surfaced in that race.  And no names have surfaced to challenge Senator Seward or Senator Skoufis. (Skoufis beat Annie Rabbit to replace Larkin.)  Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins will be Majority Leader Again this year.

4). STATE ASSEMBLY RACES IN ULSTER COUNTY:  Our people should know that there are 4 State Assembly Districts that have a piece of Ulster County.  The largest footprint is held by Kevin Cahill, Other Assembly Members representing part of Ulster County are Brian Miller, Chris Tague, and Jonathan Jacobson.  I have not heard any challengers officially announce at this point, but I know there is some serious consideration going into a potential challenge to Cahill.  Other news regarding NYS ASSEMBLY is that Minority Leader, (Minority Leader means the top dog in the lower party that does not control The Assembly), Brian Kolb has stepped down after an alcohol related accident on his own property on New Year’s Eve.  Assembly Member Will Barclay from Fulton (Oswego area) has been elected to be the new NYS Assembly Minority Leader.  Assembly Speaker will again be Carl Heastie, Crystal Peoples-Stokes will be the Majority Leader, Kevin Cahill is Chair of the Insurance Committee, Aileen Gunther Chair Of Mental Health Committee, Didi Barrett (Poughkeepsie) Chair Of Veterans Affairs.

5). ULSTER COUNTY LEGISLATIVE NEWS  -  Ulster County Legislator Dave Donaldson (District 8 - City of Kingston) is the new Chair of the Ulster County Legislature. 

6). NYSRPA VS NYC:  Our members should be aware that the case has been taken up by the US Supreme Court.  NYC tried changing laws to avoid the case making it to the Supreme Court in fear the the Supreme Court ruling could actually be a landmark case expanding/ strengthening 2A rights for US citizenry.  NYC’s efforts were unsuccessful at avoiding Oral Arguments phase of the lawsuit from taking place in November.  At the moment the Supreme Court Justices are deliberating and may still throw out the case if they decide that the law changes NYC made are sufficient.  However, this seems unlikely given the balance of the court.  It seems more likely that the judgment will favor NYSRPA and likely include language that would prevent NYC and other cities from having legislation that represses 2A.  And it is possible that the judgement could actually produce a major expansion that would essentially allow a Citizen’s rights to be guaranteed in effect outside of the home and possibly confer portability of rights both interstate (within ones state) and intrastate (across state lines).

7). CUOMO STATE OF THE STATE:  His tone was markedly different.  With both Assembly and Senate being run by extreme left donors and policy makers he has to pull back.  He talked about politics causing division in citizenry and said repeatedly that we need unity. Wow… makes one wonder if he is softening the edges and running back to center for cover from Senate and Assembly or if he is going to try a different persona/approach for 2024 Presidential.  He mentioned gun control only in saying if we don’t allow NYers to buy guns because of criminal background, then the same should apply to out of state-ers trying to buy guns in NY…    Seems reasonable until you consider it is probably a scheme to connect LE databases and registration and background checks into one database…  Also he did not mention bail reform at all.
Full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QmlnFatM9E
2 Minute Video Synopsis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRW4QmMww5k

8). CORRECTIONS:  Just a quick note to make sure people understand the December Legislative report.  Ed Cox and Nick Langworthy are not Sheriffs.  Ed Cox is the former Chairman of the NYS GOP, and Nick Langworthy replaced him.  Nick Langworthy is the new Sheriff in Town, but neither are literally Sheriff.  The Safe Act was enacted under Ed Cox watch, and though there were several opportunities to pushback against SafeAct (specifically using Rent Control as a tradeoff), Cox did not get us any SafeAct relief at all, so we are happy to see him go.  Additionally, it was announced that Dr Evelyn Wright Has been named as A Deputy County Executive.  There is no connection to Stewart Property…  It was suggested that the Federation leadership meet with the Executive and his deputies to make it clear that the Federation wishes to work together with County and State government to be STEWARD’s of the Environment.

FYI.  Here is an excerpt from the Press Release: …”“Evelyn Wright is thoughtful and deeply knowledgeable about economics and the environment,” Leader with former Vice-President Al Gore's Climate Reality Project, Tim Guinee said. “Her new position is a big win for Ulster County. I am looking forward to working with Evelyn and the entire County Executive’s office on these critical issues.” “…

Full Press Release: https://ulstercountyny.gov/news/executive/ulster-county-executive-pat-ryan-announces-appointment-evelyn-wright-deputy-county

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
Re: ELMER'S ULSTER FEDERATION LEGISLATIVE REPORT - JAN 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »
Thanks for the report Elmer, great info as usual!

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 07:38:05 PM »
Yup thanks Elmer.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline 1shot1kill

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 08:32:08 PM »
Thank you!

Offline GrizG

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 09:23:44 PM »
I've spoken with Tony German at length four times... he came to my club at my invitation too.  I suggest that you have him visit with your club members so folks can met him. I think he's someone we sportsmen can get behind.
NRA Benefactor
NYSRPA
Ruffed Grouse Society Mid-Hudson

Offline SHForestry

• NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • South Side Rod & Gun Club
    • Sheldon Hill Forestry Supplies Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 04:47:09 AM »
Very informative,thank you.
http://shop.shforestrysupplies.com/                Forestry-Logging-Safety Equipment

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 05:26:41 AM »
Ive never met Tony im sure he is a great guy but i hope they work things out with Marc Molinaro and run him.. He did pretty dam good against Cuomo and is well known.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline gdk45

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 07:41:41 AM »
NYSRPA gives Tony German an "A" rating on 2A

Offline bandhunter31

• Liberty or Death
  • "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 07:39:16 AM »
great update as you always do Elmer..... I love NYS and all the sportsmen who fight but unfortunately my wife and I have decided to cut bait and run..... we crunched the numbers and thought a lot about the future here and decided we will be leaving NYS in may of 2024, the exact day i get my years in for retirement (to move earlier would be financially crazy and i figured 4 more years wont kill me)....... we will be purchasing a house in florida next christmas as we transition the kids down there as i don't want my 4 year old daughter to get to far into school here that it makes a move hard on her....... i don't want to be negative but this state is a lost cause in many ways and its only going to get worse....... i truly have nothing in common with many of my fellow New Yorkers anymore.......
Fast is fine but accuracy is final. In a gunfight you need to take your time in a hurry. - Wyatt Earp

Offline gdk45

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 02:56:45 PM »
I've been told the GOP is pushing Ola Hawatmeh, a fashion designer, and not Tony German for Congress.

Offline Elmer

• Legislative Liason
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
Tony German Dropped Out, And Endorsed Ola...

GOP isn't pushing anyone (YET)...  GOP is doing a process of the 11 counties covered by the District.  Each County GOP Committee has a weighted vote and the 11 counties have agreed that whoever comes out on top will be the candidate the committees endorse for the Primary.

There are three other candidates that I have heard...  Bartle Bull, Kyle VanDeWater and Mike Roth...

Kyle VanDeWater is reportedly a Millbrook Village trustee and JAG veteran...
Bartle Bull, is reportedly the former editor of the British magazine Prospect and the Middle East Monitor.  Bull reportedly has said he can self-fund $500,000...

I have not heard any of them speak, but from the whispers I think VanDeWater is probably the best choice, with Bull and Ola mixing it up for 2nd and 3rd and I think Mike has been dismissed as non-viable.

After the GOP process we will invite whoever decides to stay in the primary contest to speak at a federation meeting...

-E

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal