Author Topic: crossbow during archery season  (Read 8802 times)

Offline KillerCrow

Re: crossbow during archery season
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
p.s my carbon icon when picked up from NDA, was so spot on that any fool who could pull it back could never practice walk out and harvest game so whats the difference from a x-bow that was already sighted in
the only thing that may be beneficial is if the state added a fee for cross bow usage IE additional licence not tag

Offline LouieM

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 10:29:03 AM »
I agree with the pro-xbow guys.  You still need to scout, you still need to get close, you still need to take an ethical shot.  I do not think it would even add that many people to the woods before "pre-rut" end of Oct timeframe.  Fact is in early October you need to put the work in the get a buck regardless of weapon.  Bucks are mainly moving bed to feed and not far during daylight.  Whether you get it done with a crossbow or a compound you put the work in.  Lots of  folks these days are not going to put the work in so its not going to attract a large crowd on public land. 

Not to mention if it gets more people in the woods that is GOOD for the sport.  Not bad.  The stateland near me is empty during Oct. 

With all that said, we need to stop arguing about this and separating into groups.  We should all be in this together. 

Overland, using examples of shooting deer at night and "100yd crossbows" is not progressing the argument. There are rules for xbows. And there will continue to be restrictions. 

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »
I would like to add this my wife is finally showing an interest in hunting she will not go out in cold weather nor will she get a bow and practice because she has physical health issues and couldn’t do it but she likes shooting the crossbow so why shouldn’t she br allowed to hunt all bow season with it and no ny will ne give her a handicap permit

Offline coyotekiller

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 11:57:15 AM »
lets be more like pennsylvania 1 legal buck regardless  of weapon used. thats not the case with most bowhunters they bowhunt and the gun hunt as well.if they dont shoot that big buck with the bow they try to kill him with a rifle. i highly doubt they still try with the bow during gun season.

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 12:16:02 PM »
I understand we need more hunters. But how many new hunters have started because of cross bow inclusion? Not many I suspect. And I common thing I hear from guys that have purchased cross bows is "Oh I don't have time to practice." Truth is you should be practicing with whatever weapon your hunting with. And as far as 2 weeks added to the beginning of archery season(which I saw no need for)was to add the 2 weeks at the end for cross bow. And my other question would be how many hunt with crossbow during regular season?

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 12:18:40 PM »
Actually i read somewhere recently that hunter participation is up because of crossbow use so full inclusion would definitely increase it more and get older hunters back in the woods

Offline KillerCrow

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2019, 12:50:12 PM »
agreed 100%

1 buck and multiple does like other states would def help out the buck to doe ratio
But that said before its called out i am guilty of harvesting two bucks if i have a valid tag in my name i will be out after the next one until all tags are gone, off to the woods now with the ole smoke pole still got a doe tag in the pocket

Offline jdbbowhunter

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 12:54:29 PM »
Would be interesting to see #s at the end of the season to see if that is true. I don't really care what guys hunt with as long as its legal.  And I actually know more older guys that hunt with bow. See more younger guys hunting with crossbow. Guess I shouldn't be surprised by that.

Online goodorbit

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »
Well, I definitely hope it is expanded, because I enjoy the two weeks we crosbowers have out there now.
The quiet time in the woods before rifle starts is a treasure. Don't think it matters whether the bow is horizontal or vertical.

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 01:34:05 PM »
In a tree stand I prefer compound from ground blind xbow. Xbow does afford some better opportunity if you want to spot and stalk for a bit more range and just simply to pop a squat at a base of a tree. I feel there is about a 10-15y range benefit with a crossbow but feel guys that aren't bow hunters will take a shot 60-75 yards where a archer may be a bit more self disciplined limiting effective ranges.

As for dates give youth and over 60 whole bow season and maybe go to Nov 1st or even last week of October so guys get a little more of the pre rut seeking phase before bucks lock down.

Offline LouieM

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »
I understand we need more hunters. But how many new hunters have started because of cross bow inclusion? Not many I suspect.

Actually quite the opposite.  A lot of the new hunter programs across the country utilize crossbows due to the less time needed to be effective.  Worth a google. 

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2019, 05:01:19 PM »
I understand we need more hunters. But how many new hunters have started because of cross bow inclusion? Not many I suspect.

Actually quite the opposite.  A lot of the new hunter programs across the country utilize crossbows due to the less time needed to be effective.  Worth a google.
New hunters with a crossbow???? I beg to differ Louie, but in NY you can bow hunt when you are 12 years old.....BUT you cant use a crossbow until 14 years old....what a crock..., that makes no sense to me.
Why is the NY law this way...???

Offline coyotekiller

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »
how many bowhunters use there bow in the late season.not many i suspect.if they have a buck tag from archery left there not grabbing there bow they grab that modern inline muzzleloader with a variable power scope 1in groups at 100yrds.why so they can kill that big buck that gave them the slip all season and with trailcam picts now has returned to home range.they have 11 days and they want to increase there kill range,so bow stays home.let be honest. now your the same person you dislike for wanting to use a crossbow.by taking a muzzleloader and leaving you bow home.

Offline Laundron

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2019, 05:52:55 PM »
I think it’s a little crazy to think that having crossbows makes young people want to jump into hunting. I don’t know many guys under say 21 years old that’s going to run out and spend 100s on a crossbow to go hunting. Pretty sure the majority of us started out with one of dads rifles. Dad doesn’t have multiple crossbows to lend out. Chances are dad doesn’t have one at all.

Another problem with hunting is the license cost. To get your bow, muzzleloading and regular season is around like 60 bucks and then you pay another 10 for doe tags that you might or might not get. If you weren’t already into hunting young guys don’t want to pay that.

The $10 for doe tags is stupid. Some people pay $10 and get none. I own 30 acres of land and got one doe tag this year. 2 of my hunting buddies (neither own any land at all) got 2 tags each and then were both mailed a 3rd in October without even requesting it. This was all for the same areas. How does that make sense?

I guess my point is if you aren’t already into hunting it might not sound too intriguing to get into.
JMO

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2019, 07:04:07 PM »
Make sure you get you muzzy stamp when you buy your license that way you always get that bonus dmp for all units to use early and late Bow/muzzy. At least if gives you options if not drawn for gun dmp. Plus your regular tag converts to either sex if no buck for late season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal