Author Topic: How many old guys are still deer hunting  (Read 2271 times)

Offline MK

• Super Hero Member
Re: How many old guys are still deer hunting
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 10:23:42 AM »
My dad hunted until he was 80, hiking in with a bow in his hand and an old Loggy Bayou on his back. Scared me to death thinking of him climbing up a tree at that age. He'd probably still be hunting, but we won't let him climb anymore, so he gave it up.

That’s awesome Frank!! I have 2 Loggy’s that I’m still using but these days with a very well thought out safety system using a rock climbing harness and dynamic rope and am ALWAYS attached to the tree the moment I climb on the stand! I’ve had a few “Loggy Sliders” in my time and they always scare the crap out of me but I love those stands! 🤣
Facebook Page "NY Reservoir Trout"

Offline ruck

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »
OMG Mike, so many stories of Loggy slides, especially on wet or frosty trees! Definitely a rude awakening at 5am!

Offline poncho

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 12:01:03 PM »
am 58 and dragging def has gotten harder !!  :-\ (hunter) (hunt) (santa) LOL  is a  shame with the comments as yes I also do not see any new hunters taking over for the ones we lose or retire from the sport.  belong to a club with 15 members and after opening weekend we were lucky to have 3 guys in the woods!!! blessed as have plenty of venison till next season!!!!   be well all and enjoy the holidays

Offline touge30

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 04:49:05 PM »
Im almost 66 put in a whole season small buck wth bow.Missed two muzzle loading ,hunting partner has two sons in there 40s. help me all the time will keep going as long as i can stay mostly my own property.Knee replacement last year

Offline docbob

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
I'm 73.  My favorite spot is on a ridgeline which means an uphill drag for me.  Fortunately, the last two years I had help from the younger guys in our group to get my deer up the hill to the trail and on to an ATV.

Offline danboy

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »
I taught the post said old guys reading the posts I see only about 3 from  old timers posted, if being in the 50's is old my buddy (72) and me (65) must be considered ancient.LOL

Offline GooseCommander

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 10:48:47 AM »
Not an old guy yet, but my hunting partner my father is 68 and still climbing trees and hiking mountains. Though retired, he keeps busy running his business - Weber's Gunsmithing

Age is just a number he tells me.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."  --Fred Bear

Offline klondike

• Klondike
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 05:19:24 AM »
This is my uncle bob, he was 87, when I took him on his last hunt up in the Adirondacks,  he's 92, and in a nursing home now. I hope I have the same DNA in me to  carry a rifle and a backpack at 87.
Iam 71, ride a bike 5.22 miles every morning,  or walk, and do alot of work around my place, you have to keep moving .
Can't drag a deer very far anymore, I should say my wife and me, can't drag a deer very far, but still have to get it to a trail, for the quad. Have a rollup sled, that makes it a little easier.
He was my hunting buddy,  Now up north I hunt alone, don't go as far as I use to, and now I put my name and were iam headed in the Rangers log book, and when I'll be back, and sign out,  at least that will give the search party a place
To start looking for my remains. It's starting to bother me
About going alone now, old bones are brittle,  easy to twist and brake a knee or hip an ankle at my age.  I took a neighbor up with me for a day last year, iam hoping he will like it, and come up this year once or twice,  if not iam still going.

Offline klondike

• Klondike
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 07:00:28 AM »
Just took my bike ride 60 degrees this morning,  foggy,  seen 1 bunny rabbit ,2 deer , can't see out in the big fields iam sure the deer were out in them.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 05:30:07 AM »
You sure have some nice scenary on your morning rides. What county do u live in?
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline klondike

• Klondike
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 05:52:38 AM »
Rensselaer

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal