Author Topic: How many old guys are still deer hunting  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Warren

How many old guys are still deer hunting
« on: December 14, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
I'm 67 and had to drag out my deer over a mile this year. Luckily it was mostly down hill. I realized that some of the areas I love to hunt are too far for me to get the deer out. So I was wondering how old the rest of you older hunters are.  Anyone hunt with or know of older hunters?

Offline Walnuts

• NYS Supporter
Re: How many old guys are still deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 06:18:27 PM »
Im 41 but mainly hunt with my uncle (65) and my father in law (64).  My father gave it up many years ago due to his health.  I have been the designated dragger for many years as im afraid of something happening to them.  We have never had property that we could use a quad to get our deer out.  Have dragged many deer and bear long distances. 
We mainly hunt Ulster and yes its easy to drag down hill when up in the mountains,  but i have noticed over the past 5 years or so that they are having trouble getting up those mountains to even hunt.  These are guys who up until their mid sixties would go anywhere at any time.  Lately they prefer to stay low.  It sucks because these guys are my best friends and i cant imagine what it will be like when they can no longer go.  Thank god i have 2 young sons that will hopefully follow the tradition.  One definately will but the other im not so sure. 
My mission this year is to find some orange or chenango farmland and get permission to hunt where they can hunt and use a quad to get deer out.
I dont see many young guys hunting either.  I didnt see one other person in the woods this year besides the guys.i was with. 

Offline MK

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 06:44:15 PM »
I’m 58 with two replaced knees and a right total shoulder replacement! 

So far, I’m still fine hauling deer out when it’s easy but most days I quarter and pack out my deer and use a good set of trekking poles which make a huge difference especially for uphill pack outs. I learned how to do a complete cape out in case it’s a deer or elk for the wall too which comes in handy instead of packing the whole head out.  But, I have to work at it. To keep healthy I actively engage in CrossFit 3-4 nights a week (modified of course) and ride a road bicycle several times a week in the summer. Good for me anyway and very helpful during hunting season.....or dragging an ice shanty full of crap in the snow! 😃
Facebook Page "NY Reservoir Trout"

Offline greensider

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 07:04:39 PM »
55 always seems like up hill coming out with a deer think about getting a hand truck i got one years ago they are better than most deer carts weight sits lower and perfect for sitting in small of your back a couple ratchet straps and good to go I have hauled at least 50 deer out with mine 

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 08:12:49 PM »
I'm 68 , and stay in the low lands mostly . I can usually drive a 4 wheeler or utv right to my deer , if not I got a cell phone and plenty of help ...  :-).   I do know some guys older than me , still hiking and hunting the mountains ...tough as nails ...and in good physical condition...:-)
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 08:14:48 PM »
oooo in my late 20's I diy built a deer cart because dragging deer sucked. Didn't last long but was a huge difference.  I picked up an aluminum hand truck that has an extended U handle for going up stairs and a few straps is about as easy as it gets unless really rugged terrain and brush. Last few years I don't go in very deep so only a few hundred yard drag or I go back and grab my Jet Sled for bigger deer and bear. Its really sweet when snow is on ground barely broke a sweat.... my son has helped drag a few which i would not have even considered asking for help but definitely starting to slow down and get fat plus need a knee replacement in the next few years and I'm only 45.

Offline bigfoot

• NYS STAFF
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 09:16:52 PM »
At 65, I only hunt where I can use my quad. When I can no longer use it, I’ll likely give up hunting.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Offline coyotekiller

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 05:18:13 AM »
i am 56 and my dad is 82 and still hunts and still trolls shokan and roundout often  rowing for hours sometimes.

Offline Appleman

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Do it safely or not at all-- there is always time
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 07:16:54 AM »
Here we go...I hate sounding like this but' when I was younger a 6' length of rope, good boots, the 06, a few pbjs's and a few apples with some water and I was gone from the truck or farm for the day.  Heck I would even try to follow Abe for the day when he would say "I cut a bear track up on peak while I was out looking for white rabbits( which if you knew him he was always doing)I think I know where he's going!" He was in his 70's back then and still would be a challenge to follow.  He took me up peak in just under 1 1/2 hr bushwakin 100% of the way.  He would not stop walking to take a leak (I swear on that--I'm not kidding, unfortunately eye witness to it more than once but to talk about that subject any more with old Abe 6' under would be disrespectful.  I'm in my early late 50s now and my farming habits take time in the fall that I should spend in the woods. Most of my deer hunting now is in stands with trails from the D3 Cat near that zig-zag my well posted farm now so the drag is mostly done with a UTV or tractor with a bucket.  I plan on hunting the rest of my days and will come to rest around my favorite stand overlooking my farm if all of my wishes are followed but hopefully that's a story for years to come.  Love watching the next generation in my crew that hunt and will take the time to show them a few of the bear dens that old Abe pointed out to me over the years.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 07:43:51 AM »
Appleman, over the last 25 years ive seen Abe high in the woods many many times always on the move not sure how he shot deer moving so fast but he always seemed to shoot something. I think him walking around with his johnson out was later in his life because of prostate problems . Im 52 not sure what its like dragging deer out in my 50's as i have not shot one in the last few years. LOL.  I will say i do have a couple stands that are about 2miles up hill and i only got to each of them twice this year do to the fact that hiking in the snow really puts a hurting on me these days. The day i cant hunt in the back woods any longer is the day i give up deer hunting for good .. FISH ON..
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline ruck

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »
My dad hunted until he was 80, hiking in with a bow in his hand and an old Loggy Bayou on his back. Scared me to death thinking of him climbing up a tree at that age. He'd probably still be hunting, but we won't let him climb anymore, so he gave it up.

Offline jmack413

• NYS Supporter
  • vegetarian old indian word for lousy hunter,
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »
at 62 this was the first time I had to go get the quad to get my deer out but that was because he weighed #155 dressed .I did however still manage to drag my 7pt out the 1/4 mile during bow season, keep doing it till they close the lid, wife convinced that i'll being wearing camo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Warren

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 08:54:18 AM »
Good replies, My hunting buddy is 72. The other problems I am having is my eyes.  Back in the 90s I was a dedicated handgun hunter.  Iron sights only.  Now I can't see the sights clearly and the deer at the same time. Putting a scope on a handgun just doesn't seem right to me.  The other issue I have is that I use to have a built in compass.  I new where I was while still hunting through the woods.  Now I have to use a GPS to find my way back to my stand or car. That heart attack and 2 stents I had 6 years ago has not stopped me from hiking 4.5 miles each time we are out scouting.

Offline ptschirky

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
At 53 I’m still making the hike up the mountain for rifle season. The hills seem a little steeper but luckily not stopping me! There is nothing like taking that hour long hike in the dark to a secluded spot in the woods. I could sit in many other easier accessible spots but just being in the big woods makes the day. Seeing or harvesting a deer is a bonus!

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 09:46:53 AM »
At 56 i still hunt and fish the same. I just do it a little slower and smarter. When I was a young Buck I did things without giving it to much thought. I'll tell you, this year after dragging two deer out of the woods ( one alone and the other with a friend) my muscle recovery was a little longer than I liked but that comes with the territory I guess. I still hike the mountains with my climber stand on my back, it starts out at 25 lbs. but by the time I reach my spot I swear it weighs 50 lbs. I've had my health issues over the years but pretty much nothing changed in my hunting routine. I've always pushed myself throughout my life but now I know my limits. Being in the outdoors is who I am and i'll adjust my routine as I age.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal