Author Topic: Looking for compact rifle  (Read 3841 times)

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Taxidermist. Crazy Antler Outdoors, LLC
Looking for compact rifle
« on: December 11, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
Looking to buy a new or used deer rifle for my daughter. She is very small so looking for a compact, something with low recoil. She has a Ruger american 243 now and its junk because the bolt dont lock with or without the safety on. Had our 3rd misfire since we have had this gun..  Any suggestions? Thinking model 700.
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..
 Follow me on Instagram..#newyorksportsmen

Offline Tippin'Scales

• Posted
  • NYS STAFF
  • Super Hero Member
  • Tippin' Scales Sportfishing
Re: Looking for compact rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »
I have a Marlin X7Y in .243 and like it... it has a lever thumb safety which I greatly prefer over the slide button on my Savage 111 .270. It was Brendan's first deer rifle and I'll be honest I take it out for easy compact handling over my Savage. 

Offline gunner

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »
Love my model 700 300wsm . Great guns . My boy shoots a Remington 30-06 semi no kick due to recoil used for ejecting shell .

Offline Chris1389

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 06:10:02 PM »
243 is a great beginners rifle. I would look into a savage axis you can get them for cheap with a scope

Offline JohnB

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 06:42:32 PM »
Buddy of mine has a Remington model 7. Nice and compact. His is in 7mm-08 and is a light kicker.

Offline ruck

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 06:56:46 PM »
If it's in the budget a Browning BAR in 243 is perfect for women and kids, the thing barely kicks at all. Even in 7mm-08 it's pretty tame.

Offline ATS1755

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • This man's best friend RIP 2011-2020
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »
Can't go wrong with the model 700. To give you something else to look at is the TC Venture compact, synthetic stock with 12 1/2" pull with a 1" spacer so she can grow into the rifle as she grows, adjustable trigger, and detachable magazine all for $537.00. Gets good reviews. Another option is to look into putting a timney replacement trigger into her ruger. Some of their triggers lock the bolt when the safety is on. I tried to call them to find out if the trigger for her model has this feature but they where closed for the day. Something to think about

Offline Walnuts

• NYS Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 08:50:19 PM »
I bought my son a CZ527 in 7.62x39. Now i use 8t from time to time because its a fun gun and good shooter with good ammo.
Model 7 in 7mm-08 is also one i have my eyes on. 

Offline GooseCommander

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 09:01:21 PM »
I would vote for a Model 7 in either .243 or 7mm-08 as well. The Model 7 is a compact version of the Model 700 (a little over 2" smaller in length and a pound lighter)- great for smaller stature shooters like women and kids. I prefer carrying a Model 7 in the mountains over the Model 700. The Model 7 action is also a very similar design of the Model 700 with subtle differences. Either model should be easy to find and reliable. Good luck.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."  --Fred Bear

Offline gill1

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 07:46:12 AM »
243 is a great beginners rifle. I would look into a savage axis you can get them for cheap with a scope
+1

Bought this gun for my boy last year and it is a great shooting gun and cheap combo deal.  I will eventually put a better scope on it, but perfect my son is only 5 foot 2 inches and 110 lbs.

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »
+1

Bought this gun for my boy last year and it is a great shooting cheap combo deal.  I will eventually put a better scope on it, but perfect my son is only 5 foot 2 inches.
My daughter is  using the savage axis combo in .243, we have full size model, but they do make a compact.Its a great gun that's really in expensive and accurate.  If you want to go for a higher end model I would suggest the ruger m77 mark 11 compact,  I have one and it is a tiny little rifle with a 16 " barrel and is amazingly accurate. Or then if you really want to go high end go for the kimber Adirondack,  tiny little rifle with 18" barrel and only weighs 4# 13oz, but it's a 1500$ rifle without scope...

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 06:16:22 AM »
DXT can u tell me if the bolt locks while its on safety..Thanks
My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!....They didn't make us free, we were born free and as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free..

Offline DXT

• NYS Mentor
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 06:57:45 AM »
DXT can u tell me if the bolt locks while its on safety..Thanks
The savage axis does not.  The ruger does and the kimber does, they have the three position safety on the side of the bolt, I like that style much better.

Offline walkabout

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 07:29:40 AM »
ruger does not thats why she had the misfires

Offline MUSKRAT

• NYS Supporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 09:21:45 AM »
I just checked my Remington mod 7 , and the bolt does not lock down with the safety...
you cook good rabbit pilgrim

I don't get up at 4 AM to play catch and release .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal